Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis88 View Post
I am not following your explanation, I don't know the difference I thought weight is weight, How do the axles make the trailer weigh less. This Trailer is heavier than the Geo.
I think single axle TT kind of teeter-totter on the axle, they are more sensitive to tongue weight changes.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #22

Thank you for all your feedback. For now I'll probably keep my half ton truck to tow my Geo Pro 19FD!
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #23
Sham183

I tow a shamrock 183 with a Chevy traverse. Similar in size and specs to the sorento. As for driving you will feel every push, pull, hill, wind and anything you can throw at it. I was going up a hill and think I hit a bug and it slowed me down a little [emoji12]. Not saying it can’t be done but you may have a few white knuckle drives till you get used to it. You will be close if not right at all your max weights for that vehicle. Don’t expect to win any races that’s for sure. Fuel mileage will probably be around 7-9 mpg. I did improve the handling of my TV by getting XL rated tires and put in airlift air bags to help the stability which it did greatly. I still use it but we are looking to upgrade cause we want to travel further than just our state. Hope this helps with your decision making.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
DKF

We bought the GeoPro on the assumption that it could be towed by an SUV. WRONG! The tongue weight of the single axle trailer is too much - and SUVs generally don’t allow a equalizer hitch (frame is unibody). Dangerously overloaded on the back wheels. So we quickly went out and bought a reasonably priced F-150 (plus equalizer hitch) and we are good to go. Audi Q5 for sale!

Dave

2018 GeoPro 17PR
2018 Ford F-150
DKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKF View Post
We bought the GeoPro on the assumption that it could be towed by an SUV. WRONG! The tongue weight of the single axle trailer is too much - and SUVs generally don’t allow a equalizer hitch (frame is unibody). Dangerously overloaded on the back wheels. So we quickly went out and bought a reasonably priced F-150 (plus equalizer hitch) and we are good to go. Audi Q5 for sale!
This is the problem with the marketing of these types of trailers. It's no different than the marketing of so-called "1/2 ton towable 5th wheels".
The current trend in RV sales, are smaller trailers that are towable with smaller less-capable vehicles. The biggest issue is that, they are single axle trailers, which puts a higher percentage of the weight on the tongue, versus a similar tandem axle trailer.
And the other trend is to pack all kinds of modern amenities in, which adds more weight, which wasn't the case with smaller trailers previously.
Full size SUVs, like the Suburban and Expedition, are not unibody and do have WDHs recommended. It's the smaller SUVs that have towing capacities of 5000lbs and less, that are unibody and have lower hitch capacities.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKF View Post
Thanks for the input DKF.
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #27

Kia Sorento towing.

We have a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 with towing package. Never towed a TT with it but do tow our 22ft Bowrider with sterndrive that weighs in at between 3,500lb and 4,000lb depending on what we have in it. Only tow the boat 4 times a year though.
1, Out of winter storage.
2, 3 hour drive to the marina at the campground and launch.
3, Pull out at end of season and 3 hour drive home.
4, Back to winter storage.
The Sorento does a very good job with what we have used it for but I don't think I would want to pull a TT with it unless it was an ultra light that you see them pulling around the UK with pretty much anything. Actually just got back from the UK yesterday from visiting family. Many Sorento's pulling their light TT's all with Diesel power which is the only available power on a Sorento in the UK.
Close to or at capacity towing something the same shape and aerodynamics as a brick I would not recommend.
Just my thoughts.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #28

Sell the Sierra and get newer 1/2 ton. Daughter and S.I.L. have the KIA, I wouldn't tow anything but a small popup with it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #29
Citrus County, Fl.

We are staying next to a guy with that same set up. He has a Blue Ox WDH. He is just here for the night and doesn't have the stabilizers down. Rig sits nice. He says there is some buffeting from passing semi's but we all experience that now and then. He just traveled from South Florida up I-95 around DC to Winchester, VA and is heading home. He also complained about the single axle causing a lot of bouncing because of the crappy suspension and having a surprise inside for something coming loose every time he stops. Guessing the tongue weight loaded to be about 550 pounds. Payload on his KIA is 1120 and it's just him and his Yorkie.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #30

Towing 19 ft GEO Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
Hello, we own a 2018 Geo Pro 19FD and we are currently towing it with an older GMC Sierra. We're looking at a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 AWD as a tow vehicle to replace the half ton. We have a weight distributing hitch.

Based on the weight of the Geo Pro and the towing capacity of the Sorento, we should be ok but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience towing a similar TT with the Sorento. How does it feel in windy conditions, going up hills and general handling on the highway.

Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Hi! I tow my 19 ft geo with an Acura MDX and it does fine. I’m not clear on the Sorento towing specs. I do “feel” the weight and driving over the passes in the Tahoe area where I live is a slow (and gas guzzling) process but I’ve driven all over the west and lower elevation towing is a breeze!
TahoeMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #31

Towing with a Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
Thanks for the input DKF.
I have a WDH on mine and being towing for years with my Sorento, no problems.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #32

No issues

2019 Geopro 19FD being towed with a 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow pkg using a Blue Ox WDH.... Tows beautifully!

Highlander has very similar parameters as a Sorrento. No issues, no sway and I live in the Rocky Mountains by Calgary, so we know wind!

My 2 cents

Enjoy the Geo!
GeoPro Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #33

Sorento

I towed my Surveyor all across Canada a few times, Alaska, California, etc. No Problems. I don't know where these posters get their information. I see lots of Kia Sorentos towing similar weights.. No one has issues. All this stuff about tonque weight etc. Is not based on actual fact just innuendo.
It is about 4500 loaded, on the cat scales. Yes dual axles but weight is weight, once you put on a wdh. I have been towing trailers
for more than 50 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmyfam View Post
We have a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 with towing package. Never towed a TT with it but do tow our 22ft Bowrider with sterndrive that weighs in at between 3,500lb and 4,000lb depending on what we have in it. Only tow the boat 4 times a year though.
1, Out of winter storage.
2, 3 hour drive to the marina at the campground and launch.
3, Pull out at end of season and 3 hour drive home.
4, Back to winter storage.
The Sorento does a very good job with what we have used it for but I don't think I would want to pull a TT with it unless it was an ultra light that you see them pulling around the UK with pretty much anything. Actually just got back from the UK yesterday from visiting family. Many Sorento's pulling their light TT's all with Diesel power which is the only available power on a Sorento in the UK.
Close to or at capacity towing something the same shape and aerodynamics as a brick I would not recommend.
Just my thoughts.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #34
Sham183

Quote:
All this stuff about tonque weight etc. Is not based on actual fact just innuendo.

Not saying the sorento can’t do it but to say the weights that manufacturers give you is not actual fact is a bold statement. Those numbers just don’t come from nowhere, just saying.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Have you ever weighed your trailer's actual loaded tongue weight?
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
Dry tongue weight 390 lbs. Two batteries (45lbs ea) 90 lbs. 30-50 lbs gear in front storage bin. Two 20 lb propane tanks =40lbs. Total so far is 550 lbs. tongue weight and that's not counting the WDH hitch which is 90-110 lbs. Total weight of the TT is ok at 80% of the Kia's 5000 lb limit but not the tongue weight. You'll be maxing out the abilities of the WDH just to equalize the weight on the TV. I know, I tried to do the same thing with my 2017 Toyota Highlander pulling a 20' Forest River Surveyor. Very similar weight, horsepower, torque and towing capacities as the Kia Sorento. Okay on the flat lands but quite a strain on climbing in the mountains not to mention desending. I switched to a 2015 F-150 3.5 ECO boost. What a difference.
Get a newer used Truck. You'll be glad you did. I lost money getting rid of a one year old Highlander XLE. Learn from my mistake.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
Dry tongue weight 390 lbs. Two batteries (45lbs ea) 90 lbs. 30-50 lbs gear in front storage bin. Two 20 lb propane tanks =40lbs. Total so far is 550 lbs. tongue weight and that's not counting the WDH hitch which is 90-110 lbs. Total weight of the TT is ok at 80% of the Kia's 5000 lb limit but not the tongue weight. You'll be maxing out the abilities of the WDH just to equalize the weight on the TV. I know, I tried to do the same thing with my 2017 Toyota Highlander pulling a 20' Forest River Surveyor. Very similar weight, horsepower, torque and towing capacities as the Kia Sorento. Okay on the flat lands but quite a strain on climbing in the mountains not to mention desending. I switched to a 2015 F-150 3.5 ECO boost. What a difference.
Get a newer used Truck. You'll be glad you did. I lost money getting rid of a one year old Highlander XLE. Learn from my mistake.
Yes, I wonder if any of the others actually have weighed their actual loaded tongue weights.
It's deceiving how much more a single axle trailer, puts on the tongue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #37

Dry hitch weight versus actual hitch weight

Your dry hitch weight is deceiving. My TT list a dry hitch weight of 420 lbs.
When loaded with two batteries (90 lbs) two full propane tanks (40 lbs)
about 30 lbs of gear in front storage compartment. 10 gallons of fresh water
(83 lbs) near the front of the TT, I then understood why my tongue weight scale ($130 on amazon) read over 650 lbs. Even with no water and very little stored in the front of the trailer, I'm over 570 lbs tongue weight. And a WDH weighs about 100 lbs.
You need to stay with a truck to pull your 19fd GEO TT safely. And SAFELY is the operative word, not max limits.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:27 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
When loaded with two batteries (90 lbs) two full propane tanks (40 lbs)
Propane weight has been included in dry tongue weight numbers, since around 2009.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #39

Quote:
I towed my Surveyor all across Canada a few times, Alaska, California, etc. No Problems. I don't know where these posters get their information. I see lots of Kia Sorentos towing similar weights.. No one has issues. All this stuff about tonque weight etc. Is not based on actual fact just innuendo.
It is about 4500 loaded, on the cat scales. Yes dual axles but weight is weight, once you put on a wdh. I have been towing trailers
for more than 50 yrs.
Glad you have no issues towing your outfit and glad to hear just what our Sorento could be capable of if necessary. My statement was just meant to reflect that I am not a fan of towing right at or very close to the limits.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Nothing, had the dealer install the hitch, bought a WDH set it up, bought some extended slip on mirrors,unless you are going up a hill, you don't know it is there.
I looked at your picture and you have some significant squat over the rear wheels. You might should adjust the WDH setup a bit to get rid of that.

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, towing