Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
To all the naysayers who keep saying trucks will stop better i have a stiff benjamin that says otherwise. The surface area of pad and rotor on this setup are WAY more than what my 2019 Ram had, and this will stop more stable any day. The payload is only 200 lbs different per the sticker also. With the SUVs, and a WD hitch, its worth running over the scale and checking the GAWR as they say. Those will the be real safety and stability limits, if you are a little over on payload but can safely put more to the front wheels it will have stability. My trailer on scales comes in around 7100 lbs, probably close to 800 tongue, and this is far more relaxed and stable climbing and descending mountain roads. Definitely feels more stout than the new Rams. ALSO the new Ram does not have manual gear control, so when you hit a hill all it wants to do is scream along, and the Jeep will let you hold a higher gear and actually use torque. Which will take WAY less fuel. Hence why I got rid of the Ram. Terrible shift programming when towing, and no override.

It’s not just about brakes, it’s wheelbase too when you start getting into 28’+ lengths.

I don’t understand your brakes reference. Cayenne are 14.1/13.0” F/R while Ram 1500 has 14.9/14.8” F/R
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
It’s not just about brakes, it’s wheelbase too when you start getting into 28’+ lengths.

I don’t understand your brakes reference. Cayenne are 14.1/13.0” F/R while Ram 1500 has 14.9/14.8” F/R

He must have had a real pansy of a RAM. Mine pulls and stops my 32’+ TT with no problem at all. I’ve even had some idiot drivers make me test that theory more than a few times. Plus it does NOT need premium fuel unless you have a programmer on it. I use a programmer and put it in tow mode and makes quite a difference (plus the tow/haul button).
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Depends on the payload rating. My friend's Cherokee had a payload of 1000#.
We had a 2012 TDI Touareg the limiting factor 780 pounds on the tounge printed on a tag on the hitch. It's just flat bolted on the end of the unibody so I also have heard VW says no WDH allowed.

Now we also have a 2009 Hemi Commander which shares everything under the skin with a Grand Cherokee of the year. It's definitely more capable than the Touareg at towing. Now where near as good of gas mileage but can tow and handle loads bettter.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #64

Ps my 2009 5.7 loaded up quadradrive Commander has an 1100 pound payload and a GVWR of 6500 pounds
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #65
D W

... following, I love these threads!
Attached Images

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep, rockwood, towing