Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTreeInTheWoods View Post
On a side note, I have heard that Dodge RAM 1500s have best-in-class ride quality for the half ton truck segment. I'll definitely be test driving one of those soon.
You gain wheelbase for stability but the Problem with a Ram 1500 is that they have the same 7,100 lbs GVWR as a V8 Grand Cherokee. (Ecodiesel 1500 gets 7,200 lbs GVWR)
Old 09-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #22

Are you aware the Chrysler recommends premium fuel for the HEMI? If it were me, I'd get the diesel engine. I have a Jeep Liberty with the 2.8L Turbo, and it has more torque than my old F-250. Pulled my boat like a dream.

Most folks end up wanting a bigger trailer eventually. I pulled boats with marginal vehicles for years, and finally got a Superduty. What a difference. If you travel in the mountain west, that extra torque is great. Also picture you trailer brakes failing on a 7% grade. Do you really want to try to stop that rig with a short wheelbase SUV? A truck will have bigger brakes.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Are you aware the Chrysler recommends premium fuel for the HEMI?
FCA Recommends mid-grade, not premium for the 5.7 HEMI
Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #24

We picked up a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 5.7 Hemi a couple months ago to pull our Rpod 179, and just returned from our second trip. I can't say enough about what an amazing tow vehicle it is! Extremely comfortable, gobs of power and 14.8 MPG on our first trip, 15.5 on this trip! You can disable the Eco mode which shuts off 4 cylinders under light load, and enable sport mode which changes the shift points but the car is so smart this really isnt necessary. It is the first tow vehicle I have had that I have felt comfortable using cruise control, just sit back and steer and let it do its thing. I got into some gusty crosswinds and it handled them well with the E2 weight distribution hitch. Ours came with the heavy duty brakes, so stopping is no problem.
As a bonus, it has air suspension, so when we arrive at our campground I raise it all the way up to take the weight off the equalizer bars, set the tongue jack, release the coupler and drop the suspension down and drive forward, no more up down up with the jack. It is a load leveling suspension, so you do have to put it in tire change mode when setting up the hitch.
Because of this towing experience, we are now looking at a slightly larger camper, would like to get a walk around bed and get away from the wet bath, but the Grand Cherokee does have its limitations because of the payload and wheelbase. As long as you don't overdo it you will love the Grand Cherokee not only for towing but as a daily driver as well. If you are going with a larger camper look at the Durango, it has a longer wheelbase and also has the load leveling suspension, but does not have the ride height option and will not do as well offroad if that is in your plans.
Jeep does recommend midgrade gas for towing, but I would not panic if it isn't available, I think the sensors on the engine would prevent anything bad from happening. The midgrade probably gives it a few more horsepower but it already has more than we need.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #25

I tow my Apex Ultralight 245BHS travel trailer with a 2014 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland. Stock vehicle features: 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed transmission, self leveling air suspension, upsized vented brakes, electronic stability and anti-sway, trans cooler, upgraded alternator. Purchased a quality anti-sway weight distributing hitch. We have traveled from South Carolina to Wyoming with no issues. Rain, strong winds, hail, and serious mountain roads - all handled well. It's true that a dedicated heavy duty pickup would be more suited, but the Grand Cherokee is my daily driver and fits my everyday needs better. The trailer is used for vacations and is not a full time thing for us. Towing with the Grand Cherokee has been great - no regrets. The forum "weight police" will always take issue when you're short of a Super Duty, but with a good anti-sway weight distribution, you'll be just fine. Good travels to you!
Tjsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #26

Hi there.....I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V6 when I bought my 2109S. I got the weight distribution hitch installed and that helped a lot. The Jeep pulled it fine on flat roads but when going on hilly roads, you could hear the strain on the engine. As much as I loved my Jeep, I opted to trade it in for a Chevy Tahoe. Make sure whatever vehicle you purchase has a factory installed trailering system. We are on our first trip with this set up and it pulled like a charm!
suzcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzcalhoun View Post
Hi there.....I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V6 when I bought my 2109S. I got the weight distribution hitch installed and that helped a lot. The Jeep pulled it fine on flat roads but when going on hilly roads, you could hear the strain on the engine. As much as I loved my Jeep, I opted to trade it in for a Chevy Tahoe. Make sure whatever vehicle you purchase has a factory installed trailering system. We are on our first trip with this set up and it pulled like a charm!
The 3.6 isn’t comparable, of course it struggled in hills; OP is looking at the 5.7
Old 09-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #28

I tow a Rockwood 2280bhesp with a 2020 GC Trailhawk with the 5.7L V8, (which in terms of powertrain and mechanical features is more or less identical to the Overland, with the TH being a bit heavier due to the addition of skid plates on the underside). Granted, a lighter trailer than you're looking but still not light.

I've been very content with the performance of the GC towing the PUP, you get a little bit of sway when it's windy, but the GC is pretty heavy for a mid-size SUV so it isn't terrible. The V8 performs admirably climbing steep grades, and the mpg isn't awful. I average 16.7mpg while towing on the highway (compared to 22mpg unladen on the highway) when using mid-grade.

As others noted, Jeep recommends mid-grade in the V8 when towing for improved performance. Having put several tanks of 87, 89, and 91 octane through the engine and tracking the mpg, it ends up being a wash or slight improvement financially due to the improved performance and mpg. Only downside is not being able to go to Costco for gas anymore, which I still regularly remember when I'm getting out of the car at the pump at Costco..)

As has been mentioned by others as well, some models of the GC come with the air suspension (both the TH and Overland do) which self levels when larger load is put on the hitch. For me this is a big advantage because I don't have to sacrifice ride quality day-to-day to have a stiffer suspension for tow purposes.

For me, the GC is a great compromise because most of my time spent driving it is not towing the PUP, and it's a great daily driver; I love the ride quality and a full size pick-up is impractical for my needs and space other than as a tow vehicle. If I were spending the majority of my time on the road towing a trailer that might be different, but I'm still a couple decades away from retirement and that reality.

Finally, for what it's worth, a GC was also a much easier pitch to my girlfriend than a full-size pick-up (obviously that shouldn't be a deciding factor if it's a matter of safety when towing, but based on the specs of the trailer you're looking at and what I suspect to be sufficient good sense based on your thoughts/questions here I don't think that's a concern with a GC.)
Sirdiesel32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #29

That’s my rig!

I’ve been towing my 2015 Rock Minilite 2109s with my 2014 JGC Laredo (V6 3.2L, 6200 capacity) since 2015. Also in Michigan, also bought the GC for commuting in the northern Lower Peninsula. We only take short (but frequent) trips around the upper half of the mitten. With WDH it tows very well on the flats, even with a full load of water, some wood and solar panel in the back of the GC. I’ve never felt yanked or sway. I would appreciate more power on hills (let alone mountains!) and always feel bad for those behind us.

I worked all the numbers when I bought and have since forgotten them, but I don’t remember researching the wheel base. All I know now is that I’m comfortable with our setup but will soon want a new TV (lotsa miles on the Laredo). The Overland sounds like a good option! I really would like to stay with an SUV rather than a truck, and I’d like to travel further with more power. Best wishes...have fun configuring!
Annafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #30

Don't waste your time looking for a Jeep to pull that trailer. The Jeep is simply not built for towing a travel trailer, like the Ford F-150 you're considering. You'll be close to maximum capacity of the Jeep once you add all your camping accessories.

But, you have many other points to consider, other than the Jeep versus Ford towing capacity. Both the braking system and transmission of the Ford when pulling a trailer is far superior to that of the Jeep. Also, Ford's trucks now come standard with towing packages that include an integrated trailer brake controller that's extra with a Jeep, Trailer Sway Control and Hill Descent Control that the Jeep doesn't offer. These are all important safety factors to consider, especially if you plan to tow that RV up and down mountainous roads.

Ford trucks also have many other towing features not available in a Jeep. New F-150's come standard with Trailer Hitch Assist which helps when getting ready to hit the road. They also have an optional blind spot information system that also covers your trailer when towing for additional safety.

The Ford truck also offers you an upgrade path with a larger travel trailer or fifth wheel that the Jeep won't give you. If this is your first RV, many, many RV'ers upgrade to larger, or different type of rigs three or four years later. You'll have lots of options with the F-150.

Also, consider the storage factor. With a travel trailer RV in tow, the F-150's 6-foot truck bed has far more storage for other camping gear, bikes, etc. than that of the Jeep.

Its very important (and less costly in the long run) to choose the right tow vehicle BEFORE you choose an RV.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Trailer Sway Control and Hill Descent Control that the Jeep doesn't offer.

Ford trucks also have many other towing features not available in a Jeep. New F-150's come standard with Trailer Hitch Assist which helps when getting ready to hit the road. They also have an optional blind spot information system that also covers your trailer when towing for additional safety.

Trailer sway control and hill descent control are both standard features on the GC overland trim he's looking at.

The backup camera on my GC is all I need to line up the hitch ball with the trailer when backing up, and the air suspension means I can raise or lower the vehicle from the driver seat while looking in the backup cam if needed.

The 5.7L Overland with the max tow package also includes beefier brakes and different, more heavy duty transmission than the other trims. It doesn't come with an integrated brake controller but is plug and play ready for any after market controller you'd be interested in. The P3 I bought literally took 3 mins to install.
Sirdiesel32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #32

I have owned a few GCs and do own a Rockwood 2109S.

First, the quality of the the Jeep GC is awful so I would never buy another. Ever. Period. When we first got our 2109s in 2016, I was towing with a Toyota 4Runner- (V8, 7200 lb tow cap). It had tons of of power but the wheelbase was short and the transmission kept hunting for gears.

I did a lot of research and ended up buying a Chevy Tahoe LT. I did not get the max tow package but the Tahoe does a great job. I upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins and find it is a comfortable vehicle with or without the camper. However the gas mileage in a headwind is still bad. But, we are leaving tomorrow from Maine for a trip to Denver with the Tahoe and the 2109s.

Tho only other vehicle I would consider for a trailer of this size and weight is an F150.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirdiesel32 View Post
The 5.7L Overland with the max tow package also includes beefier brakes and different, more heavy duty transmission than the other trims.
False. The tow package does not change the transmission. All (2014+) 5.7’s get the same ZF 8HP70

HD brakes are a little tricky because they vary by year, but the newer (2014+) models already have them standard with the 5.7
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #34

We tow A2109s with GC

We bought a 2021 2109s and pull it with 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 engine. I think it pulls it very well. I do use a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I have confidence towing our new trailer.
mjhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #35

Look at Dodge Durango

As was said earlier, gain some wheelbase without the big jump to a truck by looking at a Durango. The AWD is awesome on boat ramps and soft spots, even better than our 4x4 diesel. We do like others and put most cargo in the trailer which makes cargo capacity a non-issue for the Durango.

Our Wolf Pup 18TO is lighter at 4500 lb loaded, but tongue weight is our limit with the V6. With a WDH that has basic friction sway control, it towed well from the plains to the Smoky Mountains.
Jon18TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #36

The problem with a Jeep Cherokee is the payload. Often it's around 1000#.

An empty 2109s is 4171# and could easily get up to 4900# loaded. With 13% tongue weight, you are now at 637# tongue. With the WDH, you are at 700#. That leaves 300# for the people riding in the vehicle.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #37

ride quality

I was surprised to read you found the ride quality of the 150 to be inferior. My wife and I both think it is as good as her Explorer. Different, yes, but good commuting and better on our exceedingly long trips. The longer wheel base is a good point, I'm sure it helped save us from posting a bad-outcome picture from this past summer.

I do believe I would check out the GC you have before buying new though.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #38
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The problem with a Jeep Cherokee is the payload. Often it's around 1000#.

An empty 2109s is 4171# and could easily get up to 4900# loaded. With 13% tongue weight, you are now at 637# tongue. With the WDH, you are at 700#. That leaves 300# for the people riding in the vehicle.
payload on my SRT was 1410 my overland is 1470...
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #39

Yet another in the long saga of just enough truck.
I had a friend that bought a new TT around 26 feet. He towed it with his existing Jeep Cherokee. He bought the rig to "save money on motels." After a few months he burned up the transmission in his Cherokee and went out and bought a new Ford 3/4 ton. It will take a lot of camping to pay for the truck and trailer.

Make sure you have a trans cooler on your Cherokee. They can tow more now than they used to.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #40

Jeep Grand Cherokee / 2109s

We had this exact combo a some years ago. We traveled from OH to Newfoundland via Quebec, many shorter trips and a few to Florida. The combo did quite well assuming that you are willing to accept that the trans will never reach the highest gears and the engine to have to run near 4000 rpm on uphill sections.
Mileage was roughly 10 mph overall. Looking back we were pleased with the combo.
We have since moved up to a 29' and a F150. The 2109s was simply too small for extended stays.
Frankly I don't recall the specifics of load numbers or weights so I cannot comment.
Enjoy your camp time no matter what you pick.
cromhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep, rockwood, towing