Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Looks like you're in the wrong lane if that is happening.
No, that was on a busy 8-10 lane section of interstate near or in, IIRC, Salt Lake City. The far right lane was from a merging on-ramp and I hadn't moved to the right yet.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Receivers do have a maximum rating but the 500 to 600 lbs figure is a little light for even a newer half ton truck. A 2017 Chevy half ton doesn't require a wdh until the trailer weighs 7000lbs. A 3/4 ton doesn't require one for up to 20,000 or 2000 lbs on the tongue.

Sway is not just waiting to happen...it is the result of improper design (axle placement on trailer -companies trying to reduce tongue weigh by moving the axles nearer the tongue to make a big trailer 1/2 ton towable), improper loading and incorrect angle (tongue high). IMO if you had a sway issue and solved it with a wdh with sway control...you just put a big band aid over the problem. The band aid may be sufficient but if the sway wasn't correctable by putting the weight where it should be then there is a design issue.
The worst bandaid I think is when people buy a Propride or Hensley WDH to avoid having to deal with underlying issues.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Receivers do have a maximum rating but the 500 to 600 lbs figure is a little light for even a newer half ton truck. A 2017 Chevy half ton doesn't require a wdh until the trailer weighs 7000lbs. A 3/4 ton doesn't require one for up to 20,000 or 2000 lbs on the tongue.

Sway is not just waiting to happen...it is the result of improper design (axle placement on trailer -companies trying to reduce tongue weigh by moving the axles nearer the tongue to make a big trailer 1/2 ton towable), improper loading and incorrect angle (tongue high). IMO if you had a sway issue and solved it with a wdh with sway control...you just put a big band aid over the problem. The band aid may be sufficient but if the sway wasn't correctable by putting the weight where it should be then there is a design issue.
I just looked up the Chevy Trailer Towing Guide. It allows 1250 lb on the trailer hitch and says don't overload the rear axle. I didn't see a specific number on when to go to a weight distribution hitch. The Ford guide says 500 lb on the hitch and then you need a WDH, 1250lb max on the hitch. The critical items are wt on each axle and the hitch. Ford is trying to do some of the work for you since most people don't get their rigs weighed.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:50 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The worst bandaid I think is when people buy a Propride or Hensley WDH to avoid having to deal with underlying issues.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I just looked up the Chevy Trailer Towing Guide. It allows 1250 lb on the trailer hitch and says don't overload the rear axle. I didn't see a specific number on when to go to a weight distribution hitch. The Ford guide says 500 lb on the hitch and then you need a WDH, 1250lb max on the hitch. The critical items are wt on each axle and the hitch. Ford is trying to do some of the work for you since most people don't get their rigs weighed.
The manual that came with my truck says the maximum weight carrying for a 1500 is 800lbs. and 1250 for weight distributing.

For 2500/3500 it says 1500lbs weight carrying or weight distributing for the the short box and 2000lbs for the long box.

Page 335.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
The driver of the vehicle posted a follow-up on Facebook. No need to identify them but here's their story:

I posted a few days ago with my 'after' when the Rockwood 2608 trailer fishtailed and flipped while driving it home.

A lot of people on the thread wanted to blame the dealer for oversell. They had nothing to do with the decision except to have the trailer in stock I wanted. A lot of people blamed me and my choice of tow vehicle/trailer.

I don't know where having a truck with a larger tow capacity would have prevented the accident. If you can do it constructively, please educate me. This was a decision made with research and input from people significantly more experienced than myself.

TV is a '17 Yukon Denali xl which, in all research I did, is perfectly capable of towing the trailer. It was set up with an e2 hitch with sway control set up at the dealer. I'd requested a different WD/sway unit and there was a misunderstanding so went with one to' get it home' with plans/appt for the next day to swap it out.

Several times, coming though Seattle, there was a bounce to the trailer and had to slow way down. It was rocking up and down like a 90s music video. It may have been due to the roads. Not sure.

Similarly had some sway several times. This was at speeds <65 and <60. The truck never seemed to struggle with the tow. I knew the trailer was there but the truck did what it was supposed to do. You could tell it was slower on hills and my fuel economy def showed there but unless I was operating at side street speeds, the trailer seemed to have a mind of its own.

When the accident happened, the roads were damp. It had been drizzling off and on all day. No significant cross wind. I hadn't passed or been passed by a semi. The roads weren't rough. It fishtailed out of control and flipped.

One thing I may have done differently is had the front tank loaded with water to allow a bit of nose down. It seems in hindsight and pictures it may have been nose up.

I also should have pulled over and called to have it towed the rest of the way home when my gut told me something wasn't right. It would have been less hassle.

Fortunately no one was hurt. WA state patrol and Melvin from Carl's towing in Longview WA were so pleasant. There were two good Samaritans who stopped and stayed with me until the sheriff arrived. I'm beyond thankful for their presence and ability to get the ball rolling.

I did get cited for the trailer sway.

I was able to drive the Yukon away after the spare was put on. It could have been so much worse. My truck can be repaired. There was full coverage plus gap on the trailer.

Thanks for reading and your input. For those who expressed concerns on the other thread, thank you for the sentiments.

Happy, safe travels.
I know this is an older thread but I have the identical Flagstaff (26FKBS) to the Rockwood (2608BS) and I would like to share a few facts that are different from the norm on this trailer.

1. This trailer has a front kitchen which causes some weight distribution problems.
2. The fresh water tank is located on the very back of the trailer thus causing weight distribution problems if completely filled.
3. One of the gray water tanks is located in the front of the trailer...convenient for the kitchen.
4. Due to the front kitchen design there is a small storage space in the front of the trailer and a large storage space is located in the back of the trailer under the bed.

When I bought the trailer I had to completely rethink the load distribution procedures I had developed through the years with my other trailer. Here is how I loaded my new trailer to balance the weight and get my 15% tongue weight.

1. I placed my heavier tools in the small space in the front storage.
2. I placed all the other items in the rear storage area.
3. I added about 15 gallons in the fresh water tank in the rear.
4. I loaded up the trailer with clothes and supplies.
5. I then towed to the local CAT scales and weighed everything.
6. I then added about 20 gallons of water to the front gray tank to get the 15% tongue weight.

I am towing this trailer with a 2018 GMC Sierra CC with a 6.5 foot bed, max towing package, and a 6.2 L engine. I am using an Equalizer 4 Point 10,000lb hitch and using 6 washers for weight distribution. We live in Texas and this spring we travelled through Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico and this combination towed like a dream and we didn't experience any sway problems.

Speculating here....If the person in the accident filled the fresh water tank thinking that he was adding weight to the front of the trailer he would of actually added about 500lbs to the rear of the trailer. Also he stated that the trailer was bouncing so that rear weight added might have caused the bounce.

Hope that my information learned on my new trailer might help others.
SuperSonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 AM   #126

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonet View Post
I know this is an older thread but I have the identical Flagstaff (26FKBS) to the Rockwood (2608BS) and I would like to share a few facts that are different from the norm on this trailer.

1. This trailer has a front kitchen which causes some weight distribution problems.
2. The fresh water tank is located on the very back of the trailer thus causing weight distribution problems if completely filled.
3. One of the gray water tanks is located in the front of the trailer...convenient for the kitchen.
4. Due to the front kitchen design there is a small storage space in the front of the trailer and a large storage space is located in the back of the trailer under the bed.

When I bought the trailer I had to completely rethink the load distribution procedures I had developed through the years with my other trailer. Here is how I loaded my new trailer to balance the weight and get my 15% tongue weight.

1. I placed my heavier tools in the small space in the front storage.
2. I placed all the other items in the rear storage area.
3. I added about 15 gallons in the fresh water tank in the rear.
4. I loaded up the trailer with clothes and supplies.
5. I then towed to the local CAT scales and weighed everything.
6. I then added about 20 gallons of water to the front gray tank to get the 15% tongue weight.

I am towing this trailer with a 2018 GMC Sierra CC with a 6.5 foot bed, max towing package, and a 6.2 L engine. I am using an Equalizer 4 Point 10,000lb hitch and using 6 washers for weight distribution. We live in Texas and this spring we travelled through Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico and this combination towed like a dream and we didn't experience any sway problems.

Speculating here....If the person in the accident filled the fresh water tank thinking that he was adding weight to the front of the trailer he would of actually added about 500lbs to the rear of the trailer. Also he stated that the trailer was bouncing so that rear weight added might have caused the bounce.

Hope that my information learned on my new trailer might help others.

Have you confirmed that the weight distribution on your new trailer design was not addressed at the factory with axle placement?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #127

Trailer weight and balance are vital and tank placement and use can upset this. I use a tongue weight scale when towing unfamiliar trailers like loaded U-Hauls as well as periodic confirmation of how my Roo is set up. Never heard of a trailer dealer weighing the trailer tongue...

My guess is the original poster was new to towing and never saw this simple demonstration (and never weighed the tongue).

-- Chuck

Tags
accident, towing