Old 06-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

Towing advice

Hello again..still trying to get into a trailer and on the road. We are considering a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2 wheel drive 5.3L V8 equipped with Max trailering package to pull a Forest River Vibe 26RK, whose trailering length will be 33’ and dry weigh of 6400 lbs. Thoughts from you experienced campers...Are we going to have a problem with length or weight? Thanks in advance for your input.

2Stilwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

Regarding capacities... The Tahoe will probably be ok for maximum towing capacity but most likely run out of payload. The Tahoes I've seen have a payload around 1400lbs and that trailer has a 790lb tongue weight dry. Add a hitch and cargo the total tongue weight will be somewhere around 1000lbs or more. This leaves less than 400 lbs for people and cargo in the Tahoe.

Practicality... The length of the trailer might be too much for the Tahoe, I have a Silverado so can't give real world feedback.

rmk184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

I wouldn't even consider that combination.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Scoundrel

The Tahoe is built on a Silverado 1/2 ton platform. At 33ft long the Vibe 26RK is in 3/4 ton territory.

I wouldn't.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

No way in hades would I tow that trailer with a Tahoe. At least not on public roads or with my family on board. Might be suitable for one of those RV races on a figure 8 track.

SPECIFICATIONS
Hitch Weight: 790 lb.
UVW 6348 lb.
CCC 1442 lb.
Exterior Length: 33' 3"
Exterior Height: 11' 2"
Exterior Width: 96"
Fresh Water: 40.00 gal.
Gray Water: 60.00 gal.
Black Water: 30.00 gal.
Awning Size: 18'
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the information. What would be your thoughts if we scaled back to a Vibe with a 29’ length?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stilwells View Post
Thanks for the information. What would be your thoughts if we scaled back to a Vibe with a 29’ length?
You're getting warmer. Really, for a camper the size that you're looking for, the problem isn't the camper. Its the tow vehicle.

Instead of a Tahoe, consider that from 2016 thru 2020 Chevy Suburbans are available on a 3/4 ton frame (they come in both 1/2ton and 3/4ton).

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

I have a Vibe 268RKS. Started out towing with an 09 Titan. Pulled pretty well even up steep but short inclines. Stopping was a whole nother ball game. First trip out running about 35 mph and had old folks roll thru stop sign. I probably had less than 10 feet to spare and that is standing on the brake pedal. Traded next day for F250 gasser. Now I am in the right ball game.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Site Team

The Tahoe is a short wheelbase Suburban.
No way I would tow that trailer with one.
Loaded for camping, the real world tongue weight could easily be 1000lbs. So your soft suspension SUV will probably run out of payload capacity, loaded with people, car cargo and 100lbs WDH.
A 3/4 Suburban if you must have a SUV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Tahoe is a short wheelbase Suburban.
No way I would tow that trailer with one.
Loaded for camping, the real world tongue weight could easily be 1000lbs. So your soft suspension SUV will probably run out of payload capacity, loaded with people, car cargo and 100lbs WDH.
A 3/4 Suburban if you must have a SUV.
Agreed.

Rule one- Have plenty of spare cargo carrying capacity.
Rule two- Don't tow anything longer than the tow vehicle with a short wheel base vehicles.

Find out what your payload is by looking on the drivers door sticker and see what it says the cargo carrying capacity is.

Take the trailer dry weight + it's cargo carrying capacity (Max trailer load), and take 12%-15% of that as the real tongue weight once it's loaded for camping.

Add up the weights of the people you are going to be taking, the stuff your going to put in the cab and in the vehicle (or bed if a truck) and 100 lbs for the hitch.

Now subtract that number from the number you got from the trailer math problem. If you have a couple hundred lbs left, you are set. If you have a negative number, your trailers too big for your tow vehicle.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post

Add up the weights of the people you are going to be taking, the stuff your going to put in the cab and in the vehicle (or bed if a truck) and 100 lbs for the hitch.
To be clear, the driver is considered as one of the people, when calculating payload.
The weights of EVERYONE in the tow vehicle, vehicle cargo, vehicle add-ons(like a bed topper) and WDH are to be subtracted from the tow vehicle's payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #12

We have learned a lot from all of you and really appreciate the input. Seems our best bet might be to buy a tent��. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
We have learned a lot from all of you and really appreciate the input. Seems our best bet might be to buy a tent��. Thanks again.
reductio ad absurdum. I see what you did there.

Sounds like you are frustrated with the answers. While that may be true, the folks here can help you decide what a safe rig is. I didn't log on here until after I towed a 3,800 lbs pop up with a 725 lbs hitch weight behind a minivan with a tow rating of 3,500 lbs. With no trailer brakes and a family of four in the minivan. Through the mountains of West Virginia. Dealer said I was good to go. We bought a truck the day after we got back from that trip.

So, please stay and continue to ask questions and interact. It will make your towing and camping experience a lot more enjoyable. And might save you a boatload of money by avoiding the wrong rig.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #14

Oh no, not frustrated, well maybe a little, but mostly frustrated with the tow vehicle in that we feel like we were sold a bill of goods. We are not in a position to replace the tow vehicle, so are struggling to figure out a way to go camping. I appreciate all of the information we have gotten from this group...we would have made a terrible mistake. We are considering a small E-Pro. What is the opinion on that vehicle?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Oh no, not frustrated, well maybe a little, but mostly frustrated with the tow vehicle in that we feel like we were sold a bill of goods. We are not in a position to replace the tow vehicle, so are struggling to figure out a way to go camping. I appreciate all of the information we have gotten from this group...we would have made a terrible mistake. We are considering a small E-Pro. What is the opinion on that vehicle?
I was unfamiliar with the E-pro trailers and googled them and they look like a nice rig. Just as importantly, they look like a better fit weight wise although until you do the math, it's just a feeling.

What is the payload number on your drivers door jam. I'll be happy to do the calculations for you to give you a trailer weight maximum you should be looking for as you narrow your choices down. That will make it much easier for you to get something you will feel safe towing with your family in the vehicle you have.

From my previous post, we will need that payload number along with the total weight of the people (including the driver as BikenDan pointed out) you plan to have in the vehicle along with your best estimate of the weight of cargo you will carry in the vehicle.

Once you supply that, I can give you the maximum weight trailer advice from my perspective if I were shopping to match something up to your vehicle.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello again..still trying to get into a trailer and on the road. We are considering a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2 wheel drive 5.3L V8 equipped with Max trailering package to pull a Forest River Vibe 26RK, whose trailering length will be 33’ and dry weigh of 6400 lbs. Thoughts from you experienced campers...Are we going to have a problem with length or weight? Thanks in advance for your input.
Yes. As others has stated. Go smaller with the TT or larger with the TV.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #17

I have towed 2 different Jayco Eagle 28' 5'ers with a half ton GMC with an AirLift suspension kit and I was maxed(putting it lightly!) on payload! Yes, I got by but at what price if something had happened? Now I have a 3/4 ton and towed my previous Eagle with ease but now has been replaced with a Sabre 34 REQS. I towed the Sabre empty and am about to tow loaded but I still have a gut feeling the Sabre is 1 ton dually territory. What i'm saying is listen to the experience, they have made mistakes and learned from them, you can't beat experience.

2013 Sabre 34 REQS-6 pushing a 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0L 2500HD
Heavy.Metal.GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #18

LOOK for the yellow sticker on the driver's side door jamb. THis will tell you MAX payload for YOUR vehicle.

Then find a trailer you want. Take the MAX weight of the trailer ( not empty weight) and multiply by 0.12 to get a real world number for the tongue weight. DO NOT USE the published tongue weight as that is an empty trailer with nothing added.

Then add 100# to that number ( for the WDHitch you will need) and subtract that total from the door jamp payload number. That is how much all of the people and cargo that you can safely put in the Tahoe.

I am publishing my yellow sticker so you know what to look for. My payload is 1309#. My tongue weight is about 600# and 100# WDHitch, gives my about 600# for me and the wife and our things in the back of my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	230900  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #19

CincyGus, thank you for your offer. We had found a spreadsheet and were able to plug in our numbers and this is what we found. Our tow vehicle with people, full tank of gas, trailer hitch weight and tongue weight will leave us 200 lbs. of miscellaneous which keeps us under the GVWR of the vehicle. As for the trailer, we can add 655 lbs. of weight and that still leave us 250 lbs. below the CCC and 800 lbs. below the car towing capacity We are almost 1000 lbs. below the GCWR. The trailer length is 20’ which is under the maximum trailer length we have seen suggested. As always appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I wouldn't even consider that combination.

X2

Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing