RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #21

Earlier this year I had a neighbor who was walking his dog stop and ask me about my TT and if my truck was up to the task of towing it...I kind of took a double take since my truck sits in the driveway all the time and I figured that he has probably looked at it's badging before....

Oh well I said Mike it's a 3/4 ton modern diesel my trailer weighs 8K with about 1K of tongue weight I explained I had no issues and was well under the capacities of the truck and he looked at me and said ok I was just wondering because those new Ford trucks I've been seeing the commercials on tout themselves as the best tow vehicles I had to laugh
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Earlier this year I had a neighbor who was walking his dog stop and ask me about my TT and if my truck was up to the task of towing it...I kind of took a double take since my truck sits in the driveway all the time and I figured that he has probably looked at it's badging before....

Oh well I said Mike it's a 3/4 ton modern diesel my trailer weighs 8K with about 1K of tongue weight I explained I had no issues and was well under the capacities of the truck and he looked at me and said ok I was just wondering because those new Ford trucks I've been seeing the commercials on tout themselves as the best tow vehicles I had to laugh
If he'd watched tv for the next couple hours the same claims would have been made for Ram, Chev/GMC, and Toyota (Tundra).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Have the same situation with my neighbor. Mismatched trailer and tow vehicle.

Only thing I say to him is "nice trailer".

FWIW, just because "we" (collectively) think tow vehicles should be the right size for a trailer (in our opinion) there are a lot of people out there that are successfully towing far larger trailers than we think they should and have done so for years.

How many here remember the days when Travel Trailers were regularly towed behind ordinary sedans and I'm not talking about just small "Teardrop" or "Tent" trailers.

Anyone remember the ad for Weight Distribution Hitches that showed a Cadillac El Dorado hooked to a trailer with the car's rear wheels removed?

Seems we've evolved to the point we think that ONLY trucks can tow trailers. Obviously this is true for some trailers due to weight but not all. Still plenty that can be towed by SUV's (which seem to have replaced the sedans and station wagons of old.

I am a firm believer in having an appropriate TV. That being said, your post reminded me of a guy back home when I was a kid. He drove a '72 Ford LTD and pulled a 24' Prowler TT with it all over the country. That's when sedans were made to tow trailers. And I do remember the commercials with the FWD cars pulling trailers with no rear wheels.

For the OP...save the friendship and MYOB unless you're seriously concerned enough for their safety that you are afraid they may end up getting hurt. That is worth risking the friendship.

Have a good one!
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #24

If you really want to get into the conversation ask how well it tows it. If he says there are issues you can always point him towards forums or sites he can educate himself on.

If is as bad as it sounds he could be all over when someone passes. Then it's just a matter of waiting for them to ask for help....I did when I had issues. If only I knew better first. Funny thing is the first group of friends were not helpful. A trailer shop helped and the forums even more.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #25

ďupflyingĒ To help answer your original post ask yourself how you would like your neighbor to tell you? While considering that, do you know their financial situation? Their further plans? Maybe they canít afford another TV at this point. Maybe they plan to buy something else down the road. There are just too many factors you may be making assumpions on. My suggestion is to MYOB until asked.

Happy camping!
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Just suggest he join the forum and he can get some "Advice" here
That will make him feel good . most likely punch him out after his first few posts
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #27

Hello I would casually go over and look at specs of the trailer with him and look at the towing capacity of his truck just so that he is aware and what could happen if he is pulled over for a vehicle check.. he may not be aware and you would be doing him a favor
prairiequad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiequad View Post
Hello I would casually go over and look at specs of the trailer with him and look at the towing capacity of his truck just so that he is aware and what could happen if he is pulled over for a vehicle check.. he may not be aware and you would be doing him a favor
So what could happen ....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Where do these "vehicle checks" occur?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #30

My neighbor has a new Jeep Cherokee and he said he was looking for trailers. We went and looked at his payload sticker and it said 1000#. I told him what that meant but he kept on saying he can tow 7000# so he is looking for a 7000# trailer. I reminded him a couple times about the payload but he wouldn't listen. I stopped mentioning it because it was not going to change his mind. He ended up buying a 29' trailer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Where do these "vehicle checks" occur?
In actuality, a law officer enforcing traffic laws does have the right to pull over any vehicle he feels is loaded in an illegal and/or unsafe manner.

True, enforcement is rare on private vehicles under various weight thresholds (some 10,000, some 26,000, and whatever the individual states decide) so they don't have huge line-ups at the scales.

If one is driving down the road with headlights pointed to the sky and sparks fly at every bump when the hitch hits pavement, good chance they're going to get stopped. What the ticket is written for, Over Loaded, or Unsafe Operation, won't matter. Still a citation and possibly not allowed to proceed until problem corrected.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #32

Quote:
he may not be aware and you would be doing him a favor
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
So what could happen ....
He could be grateful or he could tell you to mind your own business. That's why this thread was started.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #33
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My neighbor has a new Jeep Cherokee and he said he was looking for trailers. We went and looked at his payload sticker and it said 1000#. I told him what that meant but he kept on saying he can tow 7000# so he is looking for a 7000# trailer. I reminded him a couple times about the payload but he wouldn't listen. I stopped mentioning it because it was not going to change his mind. He ended up buying a 29' trailer.
Yup, and in a short he'll be on a forum, maybe this one, asking "what's my problem, any ideas?".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #34

Unsolicited advice is rarely appreciated. I have learned to keep my mouth shut if the subject doesn't affect me if I'm not asked.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post

Me too.
And new to our family: Daisy May, the Golden Doodle wonderdog!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #36
Always Learning

I offered advice to a very close friend. Her response was “the RV dealer said..”

I let it go!

I find most don’t want the input. I offer it if asked, but even online- when people post pictures of rigs that look ridiculously overloaded, I keep it to myself.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Yesterday my neighbor pulled up towing a brand new Coleman Lantern 202RD. His TV is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. I didn't say anything about my opinion that his TV is insufficient.
Looking at the specs, he is right at or over the limit with tow capacity and probably over in cargo capacity.
Should I tell him or keep my mouth shut?

What's the consensus of the forum?
How did it look when he pulled up? Did you ask how it pulled? Man that 4Runner is Strong! Did not know it could pull that much! I would say there is a way to approach it without looking like the tow police. Not easy anyway you go, a lot would depend on your relationship with you neighbor. Best of Luck ... difficult situation
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In actuality, a law officer enforcing traffic laws does have the right to pull over any vehicle he feels is loaded in an illegal and/or unsafe manner.

True, enforcement is rare on private vehicles under various weight thresholds (some 10,000, some 26,000, and whatever the individual states decide) so they don't have huge line-ups at the scales.

If one is driving down the road with headlights pointed to the sky and sparks fly at every bump when the hitch hits pavement, good chance they're going to get stopped. What the ticket is written for, Over Loaded, or Unsafe Operation, won't matter. Still a citation and possibly not allowed to proceed until problem corrected.
Yep, I'm a retired LEO so I kind of know how probable cause works. Just never did a random "vehicle check" without observing some sort of violation. Maybe the terminology was lost in translation.
Update on neighbor, he has now hung a contractor style genny onto the sewer hose bumper.. I'm sure the added 100lbs hanging way out back hasn't affected tongue weight or the potential for sway. End sarcasm.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Yep, I'm a retired LEO so I kind of know how probable cause works. Just never did a random "vehicle check" without observing some sort of violation. Maybe the terminology was lost in translation.
Update on neighbor, he has now hung a contractor style genny onto the sewer hose bumper.. I'm sure the added 100lbs hanging way out back hasn't affected tongue weight or the potential for sway. End sarcasm.

Hey, I did the same only it's a 3500 watt Inverter on a purpose built generator platform and with bumper reinforcement struts.

No sway issues at all and I still have 850 lbs of tongue weight with 6300 lbs of trailer on the wheels (scale weight loaded).

The generator platform is designed to prevent the "sewer hose bumper" from turning into a parallelogram (racking) and the struts keep the bumper from flexing where welded to the frame. 7,000 miles so far and not even any cracked paint anywhere on the bumper or welds.

Maybe the fact I travel with a full water tank keeps sway to a minimum and having tires on the TV properly inflated.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #40

We all have our opinions about this sort of thing. Some even feel it is OK to tow over the stated ratings, because "it's all just marketing". You simply can't argue with people like that, and that is where you could strain a good neighbor relationship. So when it comes to tow ratings, it's best left alone unless they bring it up, or like someone else said above, you are on a towing forum (hehe).

IMO, a different situation would be if you notice somebody is missing a lug nut, or is about to pull away with:
-safety chains not attached
-coupler not latched
-camper still plugged in into shore power
-the dog's leash attached to the bumper (name that movie!!)
-etc
Issues that everybody will typically agree that are clear safety problems, or something is about to get seriously damaged, are fair game.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing