Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #41

I never have a problem to make suggestions to someone . It all depends on how you approach someone on how it will be taken . If it were my neighbor i would talk to him but i care about my neighbors and even those that are not . better to hear something you don't like and be aware of a potential problem then not knowing or having been warned . sometimes it will sit in the back of someones mind and while their towing it will dawn on them if it is or is not a problem . Now some people are so dense that nothing will help.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #42

If you care enough for your neighbor that you don't want to see him kill himself, his family or another innocent, tell him you are concerned and, armed with both TV and trailer specs, show him you why you are concerned. He will thank you for it. The alternative is feeling at least partly responsible if something happens and you did not help him.
jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #43

One of the things I noticed when I joined the forums fairly quickly is that there are some folks whose advice comes across more like a lecture, edict, or handed down on rock tablets. Pretty obviously they value their own advice above others-or sometimes it seems so. Thankfully by far the vast number here are trying to (and do) give good advice and/or ideas on how to solve their particular problem. If you talk to your neighbor or refer him elsewhere it’d be a good idea to keep in mind that sometimes advice can come across as something else.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
One of the things I noticed when I joined the forums fairly quickly is that there are some folks whose advice comes across more like a lecture, edict, or handed down on rock tablets. Pretty obviously they value their own advice above others-or sometimes it seems so. Thankfully by far the vast number here are trying to (and do) give good advice and/or ideas on how to solve their particular problem. If you talk to your neighbor or refer him elsewhere it’d be a good idea to keep in mind that sometimes advice can come across as something else.
Better to be safe and offer advice then to sit back and say nothing because you're afraid to hurt someones feelings.

if this person is way overloaded then a casual talk about payloads and weights maybe in order Then let the light bulb go off in their head .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #45

My neighbor came home & toyota 4 runner

WELL IT'S 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND ITS GOT A V6 IM GUESSING..
WITH THE LIGHTS SHINING UP IN THE TREE'S ....
THIS IS A COMMIN PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE AND THERE TOWING VEHICLE..
My neighbor has a 1500 chevy he's got the heavest headache rack you could possibly find the bed is piled sky high with every thing like extra propane tanks batteries sute cases filled with closes chord wood, and the trailer
my motto is relax by the Campfires and bring every body home alive .
"""""""I SEE WHAT YOU SEE WE ALL SEE IT"""""""""
I HAVE A 2000 DODGE RAM 3500 DULLY 5.9
MY CAMPER IS A 2608WS IT'S DRY WEIGHT IS 5,716.
MY HITCH WEIGHT IS 748 DRY ..
THERE IS A ACTUAL FORMULA TO FIGURE IT OUT ...
BUT EVERY TIME I GO TO THE RV DEALER THEY SAY WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING IF I SAY 3500 DODGE RAM """IT'S AUTOMATIC""""O U CAN PULL ANY THING WITH THAT ............ WRONG...........
THEY DONT THINK ABOUT THE HILL'S THE PLACES I GO THE WINDING ROADS...
NOT TO MENTION THE PEOPLE ON THE ROADS WITH TOYOTA FOR RUNNERS
AND THE 1500 TRUCK'S THAT ARE OVER LOADED .......
pretty soon DMV is going to shut this hole thing down ....
if you camp with them keep your distance &
BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #46

I would tell him. We had a 4 runner and learned quickly that it could not pull our camper.
trishas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #47

OR !!!! Just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS !!! You do your thing and let them do there's. That was easy !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yesterday my neighbor pulled up towing a brand new Coleman Lantern 202RD. His TV is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. I didn't say anything about my opinion that his TV is insufficient.
Looking at the specs, he is right at or over the limit with tow capacity and probably over in cargo capacity.
Should I tell him or keep my mouth shut?

What's the consensus of the forum?
I understand your situation but I just bought a new camper (Flagstaff 2020 21FBRS) and am pulling with a 2016 Grand Cherokee 3.7 V. I had too much hitch weight at 500lbs even though rated for 600lbs. Even though everything is within the tow ratings I had a lot of sway with only a friction sway bar. I just put on a load leveling hitch with the sway bar and it pulls fantastic. No more sway. I am under powered though. I am a Jeep guy from Toledo Ohio and will upgraded to the 5.7L Hemi on my next Jeep Grand Cherokee. I always appreciate suggestions. Its a potential safety concern.
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
OR !!!! Just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS !!! You do your thing and let them do there's. That was easy !
I have to agree with this. From my experience, unsolicited advice is the domain of spinsters, old busy bodies, battle axes and mother’s-in-law. Usually starts with, “I know it’s none of my business, BUT...”

They all have two things in common - the give unsolicited advice and are avoided like the plague.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, I'm a retired LEO so I kind of know how probable cause works. Just never did a random "vehicle check" without observing some sort of violation. Maybe the terminology was lost in translation.
Update on neighbor, he has now hung a contractor style genny onto the sewer hose bumper.. I'm sure the added 100lbs hanging way out back hasn't affected tongue weight or the potential for sway. End sarcasm.
I never did, either, probably because "random" vehicle inspections weren't legal in the state of Washington.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
Unsolicited advice is rarely appreciated. I have learned to keep my mouth shut if the subject doesn't affect me if I'm not asked.
Yup......Anny always said (you do remember "Ann Landers")......."You don't give advice to people who don't ask for it".......
Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #52

Exceeding a vehicle's tow capacity is not only dangerous for the owner, it's also dangerous for everybody sharing the road with them. A good family friend actually died in a wreck towing camper that was too much for his vehicle. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be able to ignore this.

There is an art to leading people down a path to the same conclusion you've already arrived at yourself. You don't have to be a jerk or even obvious about it.

Ask questions like "hey, what's that weigh?", "I had no idea your 4runner could pull that. I'm impressed." Hopefully your neighbor will catch on.
Bgronau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #53

Oh and... People are all the time telling me that they are surprised that my Honda Pilot can tow my camper and my horse trailer. I don't take offense to it. I tell them my Pilot is rated for 5,000 pounds and both horse trailer and camper top out at 4000 fully loaded. I always assume that they are either surprised that the pilot can pull so much or that the trailers weigh so little.
Bgronau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #54

I would rather just mind my own business and hope my neighbors do the same, but I'm one of those that believe we should remove all warning stickers, get rid of all helmet laws and seatbelt laws and let que sera sera!
I'm anti-HOA too so not the best to take advice from.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My neighbor has a new Jeep Cherokee and he said he was looking for trailers. We went and looked at his payload sticker and it said 1000#. I told him what that meant but he kept on saying he can tow 7000# so he is looking for a 7000# trailer. I reminded him a couple times about the payload but he wouldn't listen. I stopped mentioning it because it was not going to change his mind. He ended up buying a 29' trailer.
I wonder if your neighbor saw the advertised towing capacity of a properly equipped Grand Cherokee and didn't realize that the Cherokee is not the same vehicle.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #56

All he needs is a hensly and he’s good to go. Hell you can pull anything with Hensly, even With a 84 Caprice.
https://youtu.be/0FsRXjI8W6o
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTT View Post
I wonder if your neighbor saw the advertised towing capacity of a properly equipped Grand Cherokee and didn't realize that the Cherokee is not the same vehicle.
That's actually what he has. 1000# payload.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #58

MYOB. He'll figure it out himself.

Nothing worse than a know it all
Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #59

It's a nunya issue. Nun-ya-business! If he has the '05 4x4 with optional V8 his towing capacity is 7,000. The 4Runner is no wuss either with ladder frame, solid rear axle, truck-like suspension components and a proven transmission. My suspicion is that he will be fine though even without the optional V8 although it will pull harder with the V6.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVick View Post
It's a nunya issue. Nun-ya-business! If he has the '05 4x4 with optional V8 his towing capacity is 7,000. The 4Runner is no wuss either with ladder frame, solid rear axle, truck-like suspension components and a proven transmission. My suspicion is that he will be fine though even without the optional V8 although it will pull harder with the V6.
Yep, he's got the V6, in the meantime I will say nothing until the time is right or the conversation eases into the topic.

Tags
towing