Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #1

Towing Apex 249RBS with F150?

Looking for some advice. The wife and I are considering a new Apex 249RBS. From the numbers it appears the truck should handle it however I'm not in the position to buy a new truck should this truck not handle it.

Here are the specs
Truck Ratings
09 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 with 120,000 miles 5.4L V8
3.55 Rear End with 9700 lb Tow Capacity
GVWR 7200
Front Axle 3750
Rear Axle 3850
Max GCWR 15, 500

Actual Weights from the scale. Full fuel however no passengers in the truck.
Steer Axle was 3260
Drive Axle 2540
Gross Weight 5800.

Trailer Info
Dry published Weight 4770 ( I know the yellow sticker would be more but don't have that weight)
Hitch published weight 480
Length 28'3"
GVWR 7000

If I take the trucks GVWR of 7200 minus the 5800, minus 600 for passengers/gear I am at 800 lbs remaining

If I look at the rear axle rating of 3850 minus actual of 2450 I have 1310 remaining.

The hitch I would get is the equalizer 4 pt and the truck has the factory brake controller in it.

Thoughts? I have read 1/2 ton should stay around the 26ft mark. This trailer is 2 ft over that. I don't plan on loading the trailer up and I don't see us going over 6000 lbs on the trailer. I only pack what is needed and don't bring everything with.

Max trip in length we would do is 9 hrs here in the midwest and we are mainly weekend campers with most trips being within 3 hrs of home.

I have towing experience in my life ranging from 16 to 20 fiberglass boats to early in my life towing a 26 ft 5th wheel trailer. I have no experience towing a travel trailer

Something is making me nervous on this. Maybe it's the length of the trailer and being the biggest I have towed. Maybe it's the fact the truck has 120,000 miles on and isn't a spring chicken but I 'm looking for input.

As mentioned I can't upgrade the truck to a 3/4 ton at this point The plan is the next truck is a F250/350 but that is 4-5 years out. At that point though if I had a F250/350 I would be looking at a small 30ft or less 5th wheel. We are only considering the travel trailer now since I can't tow a 5th wheel trailer with my current truck.

Thoughts from those with experience?

I should add that this is the only floor plan we like with the Apex so going smaller and staying with the Apex line isn't an option. The only other option we have is from a another mfg (not forest river) and that trailer is 25"6", 4100 lbs dry, 460 hitch and gvwr of 6000). It's just that is a stripped down trailer and we really like the Apex.
Country033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Put a little stiffer tires on it and a good hitch and sway control and make sure everything's adjusted properly and you won't have any problems.

I pull 32'9" at about 7300 lbs and 850 lb TW with a slightly shorter vehicle. I've got a little more payload and a little less tow rating, but it's similar. I don't have any control problems and I'm running at about 94% of my ratings, I just have to be aware it's back there...but that goes for pulling anything.

As far as your yellow sticker weight, it'll be pretty close to dry weight. FR's brochures state dry weight includes propane and "popular options". Mine was about 200 lbs over dry weight.

Tags
f150, towing