Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

Towing/Camping Newbie - A call for help

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum and it looks like a great source of information. My wife and I stumbled across the floor plan of a used camper we were looking for but it's in a different state. I've talked to the dealer and pending inspections, we are going to look at it next weekend and pick it up. We have chosen a 2013 Flagstaff Shamrock 233S hybrid trailer. We are excited but I'm a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what we all need prior to picking it up.

So we wanted a decent sized vehicle and picked up a 2011 Nissan Armada w/ 4WD so says a towing capacity of 9k. I'm trying to figure out the best (yet preferably affordable) towing hitch for it. I've seen all kinds of different terms, suggestions, etc. According to materials the 233S fully loaded would be about 6k in weight and says a hitch weight of around 665.

We live in MN so it can be fairly open in areas but we hope to potentially take a NPS trip to Yellowstone or Glacier also, so will be encountering some elevation. I'm wondering if people have any suggestions on this size of vehicle with trailer suggestion. Also, historically I've been a big proponent of gently used items and am wondering if that is a bad idea for the hitch or it shouldn't matter?

Any and all suggestions/feedback are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks, Jason
Two Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, does the Armada have the trailer tow package? Trailer brakes etc.?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #3

Chris, Thanks for the response. It has the tow mode button and brake port, but this vintage Armada doesn't seem to be pre-wired with electric brake adjuster so I need to get that added.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

Depending on whether your Armada has a factory tow package, you will need a harness and brake controller. IIRC, all Armada's with the factory trailer tow package already have a factory installed receiver hitch.
Due to their design, hybrid travel trailers are more prone to water leaks. Check for soft , delamination and rotten areas around the fold out bed mechanisms carefully.
Also remember to check cargo capacity in your Armada, often this is exceeded before you reach the towing capacity.
https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2011_Nis...opkins-pm-Curt
Old 07-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Thanks Upflying. Out of curiousity, is the delamination usually seen in the exterior or the interior? Any tips for noticing if there was damage would be great. I appreciate your suggestion!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

This is what delamination looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delamination.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	233003  
Old 07-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Two Birds, I've had my 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH for 15 years now and love it. Bought it originally to tow my 2007 Roo 23SS.
Now using it for my longer and heavier TT.
Suggest that you check out the Roo/Shamrock sub-forum here. Lots of 233S owners there.
As upflying said, Hybrids require more routine maintenance because they can be more prone to water intrusion. Your 233S has 3 giant holes in it, with only rubber seals to stop it.
Also, what "materials" said it would weigh 6k and tongue weight would be 665lbs?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #8

Bikendan,

Thanks, I'm looking into the model (weight size, etc.), but is this a similar hitch to yours? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...59884887740386

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #9

We have the 4 point Equalizer hitch system and really like it. Much better than the standard weight distributing hitch with a separate sway control.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Birds View Post
Bikendan,

Thanks, I'm looking into the model (weight size, etc.), but is this a similar hitch to yours? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...59884887740386

Thanks!
Yes. But I wouldn't pay $200 for that one. $150 tops.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

You might want to look at camping requirements in the NPS that you are wanting to visit. Some of them have limits on soft-sided campers (hybrid, popup, etc.) The Armada SHOULD be able to tow it, but in some of the steeper inclines, it may really bog down. It also will guzzle gas.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
You might want to look at camping requirements in the NPS that you are wanting to visit. Some of them have limits on soft-sided campers (hybrid, popup, etc.) The Armada SHOULD be able to tow it, but in some of the steeper inclines, it may really bog down. It also will guzzle gas.
This is a common myth.
The ONLY NPS campground, that I've ever seen(that RVs fit in),that has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers, is Yellowstone's Fishing Bridge CG.
I've been asking, for the past 15 years, for someone to post any other NPS campground for RVs, that has the same ban.
No one ever has. If there is, it would only be a handful.
In fact, all the other major YNP campgrounds allow soft-sided trailers. Including Bridge Bay, which is very close to Fishing Bridge.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
A brake controller is a requirement if you do not already have one. Ensure that every single system on the trailer is demonstrated to work and that you fully understand how to do it (do it yourself if there is time.) Have your wife video the proceedings. Do NOT buy the unit if it has water damage inside or outside. IF the unit does not measure up, just walk away - it will not be worth the heartache or expense if you try to make it work.

Tags
camping, newbie, towing