Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #21

Where did you get that 80% calc from? First I've seen it.

I bought a '13 1500 silverado and did all the research for it.

You have I think a 9400lb towing capacity, give or take a couple of hundred pounds depending on cab choice, bed length, 2 vs 4wd, etc. I don't know what the Z71 suspension does to the rating. The 'tow' suspension is the E85 if I recall. Not sure the difference, but it is listed in the fine print (83 is the standard 1500 suspension).

Usually when you get 3.42 gears you get the HD cooling - then you have the 'towing package' (wiring really) and you can tow in the 9-10k range depending on your specific trucks' options.

GCWR (total load rolling down the road) is likely got a max in the 14,500-15,500 range. The most likely figure you'll be at the edge of is payload on this vehicle.

Take your truck and trailer loaded weights that's your GCWR. Figure 6k on the truck (that's only 600lbs for passengers, cargo, gas...if you have adult sized kids you may need to add to that. THis assumes NOTHING in the bed). Leaves you 1000lb of payload A 6500lb trailer will have 700-750 on the tounge which goes to the truck's load leaving you 250lb. If you want some margin you're now fully loaded. Extra/bigger kids, food/clothing/genset/bikes/canoe and you can easily max the truck's load rating.

If the truck can pull 9400 and the TT is 6500 you have 2900 available - which includes the payload you add to the truck (beyond about 200lbs - tow ratings are figured with 150lb driver and 1/2 tank gas). Add the 6500 to the 6800 you've got on the truck and you're at 13,300 - a couple of thousand pounds under GCWR.

When in doubt put it in the trailer, not in the truck. also consider getting everything weighed. That's high on my list for this spring.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Did you do a gear change to 3.73? I thought the 3.73 was only available with the 6.2L engine. The Eco is not going to get 12-14 towing your trailer. More likely 10.
I remember now... then VIN won't help you. I did check the ratio before I bought it. One of the codes reveals this information... its in the glove-box. This is not mine....

This guy has the 3.42 according to his build list.

Mine "was" the GT4. I think then, for 2010 all these were possible, from the factory.

GT4 Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
GU4 Rear axle, 3.08 ratio
GU5 Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
GU6 Rear axle, 3.42 ratio

Thanks,
Clint

PS: I had thought all the towing options, plus the 3:73 was what got me the "over rated" 9500 capacity.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #23

I recalled reading that if you wanted to be safe reduce what you can tow by 10% and if you were going to go into any kind of elevation reduce it by another 10%. This number would give you a round about of what it was safe to tow. I didn't plan on taking any steep grades as I live in Louisiana so I figured that was a good baseline to use. I am not saying it was right, I was just saying that was the most straight up answer I received and it seemed to work when I started inputting my numbers in with formulas I found on here for what I can tow and still keep my family safe.
LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #24

It's probably a realistic number.
I figure that these days there is a margin built in already. TT companies are overly optimistic (my TT had nice big stickers inside that said 'mid size suv towable' yet in the real world it maxes out a full size suv!)

Based on GCWR we were at or perhaps over the limit with the 01 expedition. I felt perfectly safe (safer then towing a 12' cargo trailer that might go 2100lbs total). I could accelerate up hills at hiway speeds.

However, I'd not want to full time or do 1000 mile trips with this combo. We tow to our CG and back and then to another, each about 75 miles away. Plus a trip for inspection, moving it around the CG (we leave it there for 3 months but when not occupied it must be moved to the parking area). I"ve gone up and down 10% grades no problem. And the expy has 235k miles on it -granted, new suspension arms and shocks, new brakes/rotors but the chassis has got to be worn and loose.

I'm very much looking forward to getting out with the new truck. Pulled the cargo trailer a couple of weeks back - WAY better than with the expy (figure longer WB, nearly 24" longer, made the difference).

So much of 'being safe' is the driver. I"ve seen some very poorly setup hitches, unlevel trailers, angled WD bars not to mention how some drive.

A neighbor bought a coachman, as big as ours and probably heavier, and used it for 2 years and put it up for sale. She said they just don't use it...I suspect their tow vehicle scared the crap out of them - a chevy trailblazer. I"m sure it was way over the limits.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote