Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #41

It seems things always get hung up on pulling a hill in the mountains. That's the example given. If I lived in high elevations, then that would change my truck selection probably since it's daily. But living in the Midwest, and 98% of my driving takes place here, it's pretty easy to ignore those types of concerns. It just depends on how often it will happen. If we go on a long trip to high elevation, we may have to slow up going up the hills, simple as that. We are talking 1-2 days worth of slower towing out of several years worth. This of course is my personal situation and why I chose the 6.2 F250.
Point is, gassers on the market are very capable, and mixed with the right gearing can yank a lot of weight especially since you are in the 3k+ payload range in a 3/4 ton. It may not always be the rabbit but who cares.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #42

Since you ask you get answers.

i have a 2500 6.4 with a 9000 lb fifth wheel. Truck has 48000, 25k of it are towing.

Mainly midwest towing, but its towed through RMNP, Yellowstone and to Glacier. Do i have enough power, yes, i do. DO i have enough payload, yes i do.

If the truck was totaled tomorrow and I had to buy a new truck, would I buy the exact same thing? I am not sure... but i wouldn't rule it out.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #43

Wow, talk about "hi-jack".

Like a couple of others I will answer your question.

I'm a CHEVY owner, not Ford , Dodge or Toyota. I have an '09 25000 HD cab 1/2 Z71, 6.0 w/ 3:73 gears. I pull a 2014 Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel, 269FWRLS wide body. It is 32.5' long, dry weight 8739#, GVWR 11,833#, pin weight 1670#.

Just me, my wife and pooch. I have no problem pulling this thing even with 1/2 tank of water, ~80 gal. We live in Missouri (KCMO area). We have been east a couple of times and stayed in the Appalachians. If I'm really anal about figuring the cost of the trip I calculate 7-8 mpg. Depends on head winds, mountains etc. Usually run around 65-70 mph on interstate. I actually got my best mpg in the mountains, 11.

As far as squat when I drop the pin into the box, my truck sets level. IT'S A CHEVY!! The only thing that I have done is add firestone airbags and put Bilstein shocks on it. The airbags just firm it up.

I use to pull a 27' Travel Trailer with the same truck. Even though my 5th wheel is much heavier than the TT, it pulls way better. I even had an Equal-izer hitch which did a great job!!

If I were to change anything or trade trucks I would look at the new Chevy with the 6.6 gasser!! Just don't like the grill, it would be a GMC they are a little better.
Closed Thread

Tags
fifth wheel, gas, towing, wheel