Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #41
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
??
So, which of those laws apply to me? I don't transport 10 persons.
Maybe the last part of the weighing over loaded stuff but not sure even if that does, does seem to refer to only stuff registered in state. Top part is def only for Ark vehicles unless there is more for other vehicles.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Maybe the last part of the weighing over loaded stuff but not sure even if that does, does seem to refer to only stuff registered in state. Top part is def only for Ark vehicles unless there is more for other vehicles.
Ark vehicle. That's me.

I still don't see anything in there that pertains to me and my RV. Maybe I'm missing it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Here is Arkansas law regarding overweight of ANY vehicle:

Size and Weight Laws
27-35-106. Extension of load beyond vehicle front.
The load upon any vehicle operated alone, or the load upon the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles, shall not extend more than three feet (3) beyond the front wheels of the vehicle or the front bumper of the vehicle if it is equipped with such a bumper.
27-35-107. Registration of gross weight.
(a)(1) Upon registering any vehicle under the laws of this state, which vehicle is designed and used primarily for the transportation of property or for the transportation of ten (10) or more persons, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may require such information and may make such investigation or test as necessary to enable him or her to determine whether the vehicle may safely be operated upon the highways in compliance with all the provisions of this chapter.
(2) The commissioner shall register every such vehicle for a permissible gross weight not exceeding the limitation set forth in this chapter.
(3) Every such vehicle shall be equipped with brakes as required in 27-37-501 and 27-37- 502.
(b)(1) The commissioner shall insert in the registration card issued for every such vehicle the gross weight for which it is registered. If it is a motor vehicle to be used for propelling other vehicles, the commissioner shall separately insert the total permissible gross weight of that motor vehicle and other vehicles to be propelled by it.
(2) The commissioner may also issue a special plate with the gross weight or weights stated thereon which shall be attached to the vehicle and displayed at all times.
(3) A wrecker or tow vehicle shall be required to register only for the gross weight of that wrecker or tow vehicle without inclusion of the weight of the vehicle being towed by the wrecker or tow vehicle. In the registration card issued for a wrecker or tow vehicle, the commissioner shall only insert the total permissible gross weight of the wrecker or tow vehicle.
(c)(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles of a gross weight in excess of that for which registered by the commissioner or in excess of the limitations set forth in this chapter.
(2) In determining the gross weight of a wrecker or tow vehicle, only the gross weight of the wrecker or tow vehicle shall be considered without inclusion of the weight of the vehicle being towed.
(d) The commissioner shall implement rules and regulations issued by the United States Secretary of Transportation pertaining to federal use tax payments.

27-35-108. Authority to weigh vehicles and require removal of excess loads.
(a)(1) Any police officer having reason to believe that the weight of a vehicle and load is
unlawful is authorized to require the driver to stop and submit to a weighing, by means of either portable or stationary scales, and may require that the vehicle be driven to the
nearest public scales in the event the scales are within two (2) miles.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not be applicable to vehicles owned and
operated by the State of Arkansas or any city or county of this state.
(b)(1) Whenever an officer, upon weighing a vehicle and load as provided in subsection
(a) of this section, determines that the weight is unlawful, the officer may require the driver
to stop the vehicle in a suitable place and remain standing until such portion of the load is removed as may be necessary to reduce the gross weight of the vehicle to the limit
permitted under this chapter.
(2) All material so unloaded shall be cared for by the owner or operator of the vehicle
at the risk of the owner or operator.
(c) Any driver of a vehicle who fails or refuses to stop and submit the vehicle and load
to a weighing, or who fails or refuses when directed by an officer upon a weighing of the vehicle to stop the vehicle and otherwise comply with the provisions of this section, shall be
guilty of a misdemeanor.
(d) It shall also be the duty of county sheriffs or any other state or local police officers to
enforce, or to cooperate in enforcing, the weight limits specified in this chapter or authorized on any public way in this state and to prevent overloading of vehicles or other
violations of the traffic laws upon the public highways within their respective jurisdictions.
I don't see how this applies to me.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Back to the original topic....

The Super Duty F250 and F350 of that era truely are the same truck. The rear spring and axle part numbers are the same. The frame and body are the same.

The only difference in the suspension is that the F350 has a 4" block in the rear and overloads standard where the F250 has a 2" block and overloads were an option. I believe that is for 99-2007 trucks, I dont know much about 2008+

On the topic of being overloaded... call your insurance and ask them if they will cover an accident where you are at fault if you are over weight. I did and that's why I sold my 1991 F-250 and purchased the 2005 F-250 I have now.

And if someone was overweight and they hit me, I'd have a new house. If you dont have enough truck, sell the truck and buy the truck that has enough.

-YMMV

It might be six feet under!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, I failed to see your in ARK. If their law reads like ours does than all but that first 10 person part applies to you (parts you bolded). Each section is a part on its own, not necessarily connected to the above UNLESS it says it does, as a few did. Each sub section is its own in other words... But I'll keep reading in case I am missing something. The weighing part definitely applies to you.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #46

I still don't see it. That's why I bolded the "Such" in "Such vehicles", meaning the ones that hold 10 folks, etc.

The weighing sections give authority to weigh. Doesn't define what is overweight.

Not trying to argue. This is just one that we all SHOULD be interested in, and can never agree on. We don't pay weighted tags, all for one, permanent, all the same, for RV's. So I am good in my state. Ergo, good in all.

But it doesn't matter. I am not a lawyer or a LEO. I do thank you for being one and for your service to us all.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Thank you...

There is more to the chapter than he posted but man your laws (the way they are written) make NO SENSE... MAN. People can believe what they want, but the fact is no one can say (with certainty) that you can just roll with whatever you want because I KNOW for a fact that is incorrect in at least ONE state, mine, and so I am sure it will be the same in at least a few others. I do not care if you run heavy, until I do care (AKA if we meet under the wrong chance) I have NEVER taken an RV and scaled it, but I have scaled hundreds of non-commercial vehicles and done roadside inspections. I carry up to 18 sets of portable scales.

I have NEVER heard of a civil suit over an over weight RV, while it might happen, I have never heard of it so I do consider that a myth. We do weight vehicles and conduct a full inspection on all serious crashes however (just never had an RV) and deal with it accordingly. An RV would be the same

Your right we could argue this to death since no one will back down, which is fine, I can only state fact of what is actually DONE here. To see you are good in your state means your good in all is also incorrect. Our laws apply to you when you are in our state (with only a few exceptions) just like YOUR laws apply to ME (although the way they are written who knows) when I visit. Think of it this way.. I cannot go 70 on your highways because PA allows it and yours does not and then say well your laws do not apply to me b/c I am a non-resident. Do people actually think that flies? Does it suck if you are from out of state? Sure, but I get the same treatment in Ark. We are just "asked" to be courteous to our "guests" (those not from here) but there is nothing stopping us technically.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #48

Looks like NY has law for exceeding licensed vehicle weight capacities and restricts licensed weights to no more than the manufacturer specifications. Not sure if it only applies to NY registrations - I expect that it applies to any vehicle in the state.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #49

I am done researching. It's just too time consuming and doesn't apply to me because I am within weight limits of my vehicles.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, I failed to see your in ARK. If their law reads like ours does than all but that first 10 person part applies to you (parts you bolded). Each section is a part on its own, not necessarily connected to the above UNLESS it says it does, as a few did. Each sub section is its own in other words... But I'll keep reading in case I am missing something. The weighing part definitely applies to you.
I think you are correct doc73. The bottom section is independent of the others. Thanks you for your service!!!

Tags
diesel, f250, fifth wheel, towing, wheel