Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Congrats on your new camper.

Best way to find out your actual trailer weight is a take it to a CAT scale. Dry weight means almost nothing as mentioned go by the gross weight. It will be a closer number. Dry weight is what it weighed when it left the factory, no propane, no options added later & no gear at all.

Just a guess I bet a 30 foot trailer will weigh close to 7000 lbs with gas, gear, etc.

I agree to weigh your tow vehicle and trailer. Most CAT stops charge around $10.00 and will show the weight on each axle. I use them everytime we go out camping. It's a good way to see how much you can pack. It's a little intimidating pulling into the truck stops where the big boy's live, but they'll make room for you.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #22

OK great so the weight stations along the highway for truckers will allow u to get weighed? I will definitely do that. As that will tell me where I stand & to see if I will be OK with all the cargo I can think of. I wouldn't want to be 7000. That is to close to the limit. I would like it if it weighed 6500 6700lbs max, with everything full & cargo. Do think that would be a safe range or is that to much for the durango. I will have to check the payload after work. But figured most cargo will be in trailer. Just my wife & I were not big, with a 30 lbs dog some treats & water for the drive is all that will be in the tv. I have a heavy duty trans cooler that is tied into ac condenser. Info From a dodge owner forum. the main engine fan is what's used I believe. The good news is I drove it a little yesterday still no smell this time. Temps were l80f for trans forgot to look at oil temp. Thanks againn
rlgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #23

Weight Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgold View Post
OK great so the weight stations along the highway for truckers will allow u to get weighed? I will definitely do that. As that will tell me where I stand & to see if I will be OK with all the cargo I can think of. I wouldn't want to be 7000. That is to close to the limit. I would like it if it weighed 6500 6700lbs max, with everything full & cargo. Do think that would be a safe range or is that to much for the durango. I will have to check the payload after work. But figured most cargo will be in trailer. Just my wife & I were not big, with a 30 lbs dog some treats & water for the drive is all that will be in the tv. I have a heavy duty trans cooler that is tied into ac condenser. Info From a dodge owner forum. the main engine fan is what's used I believe. The good news is I drove it a little yesterday still no smell this time. Temps were l80f for trans forgot to look at oil temp. Thanks againn
Yes, these CAT scales are at truck stops where you drive onto the scales with each axle on seperate weight slabs. You'll have to get out and reach UP to push the intercom button telling them you're wanting weighed. Make sure you have the front axle, rear axle of the tow vehicle and axles of the trailer on seperate slabs (usually 3). You'll have to go inside to get the weights and to pay them. They're very useful to us since we know how much weight, and where we should distribute everything. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #24

Just to be clear - there is a difference between CAT scales and "weigh stations". CAT scales are at truck *stops* - commercial fuel stops (and other amenities). Weigh stations are government run check points along the side of the highway that trucks have to use to ensure they are not over weight and following other rules as well (I think). I don't think weigh stations will let you weigh your TV and camper will they?

Maybe all that is obvious but it just seemed like there was a possibility for confusion there...
Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Sticker
. I was assured by the dealer that I was well with in the Durango tow limit. .

The salespersons job is to sell you a trailer. They don't have to pull it or pay the consequences if something breaks. Rule number one in buying an RV. Don't believe everything ( being kind) the salesperson tells you especially when it comes to towing capacity.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
Just to be clear - there is a difference between CAT scales and "weigh stations". CAT scales are at truck *stops* - commercial fuel stops (and other amenities). Weigh stations are government run check points along the side of the highway that trucks have to use to ensure they are not over weight and following other rules as well (I think). I don't think weigh stations will let you weigh your TV and camper will they?

Maybe all that is obvious but it just seemed like there was a possibility for confusion there...
This topic has been hashed and rehashed here.
If the weight Station is closed then avail yourself but be careful and not stop fast or hard, 5 or 10 MPH or as posted.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
This topic has been hashed and rehashed here.
If the weight Station is closed then avail yourself but be careful and not stop fast or hard, 5 or 10 MPH or as posted.

Never..... I repeat NEVER enter a "weight station" on the side of the highway when lights are flashing or not and expect to get anything weighed unless you are driving commercially! The DOT officers do not take light to that. Just make your way to a certified CAT scale at a truck stop!
h4kintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #28

Also remember part of your payload of the Durango is not only passengers, the dog, misc in the rear but also the tongue weight of the trailer and the hitch.

Go on line or search here for instructions on how to weigh on a CAT scale, DO not unhook your trailer on the scale to get trailer weight. If their are no trucks near by other places like concrete plants, landfills, quarries, have truck scales but they are usually single pad & I would call first before going to see if they would allow you to use it. CAT scales are commercial can weigh buy axles & make their money weighing vehicles, reweighs the same day are $2-3.

Dry weight is what the trailer weighed leaving the factory, No propane, no water no supplies, no gear, no options (any added later). It is easy to get 1000 lbs or more added to dry weight. Several hundred lbs added will be propane, hitch / sway bars, hoses, cords, possible water, spare tire (they are optional & may have been weighed without one), battery. I have added close to 1000 lbs after dry weight just in thing that are attached to the trailer,

Good Luck!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #29

Thanks all, within a couple weeks I'm going to a cat scale truck stop. I will call ahead & see what time is best. I will check my payload for the Durango I believe it was 13?? So I think I will be OK there. Getting the trailer weighed will let me know how much cargo I can take. Which isn't going to be alot. My goal is to pack it full with everything & weigh it. Plus I will have the Durango in for service & ask them a bunch of questions I would like answered in reguards to towing. I believe by estimating the cargo with water & propane. I believe I will be @ or around 6500 max. I will fill it up with water when weighed but probably will fill Half full when traveling. As I have seen many of u do. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #30

Please post the payload, 1300 is low, I'm in the same boat, but my trailer is smaller.

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #31

Payload should be right around 1280.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #32

I don't see anything on the door about payload. I do have GAWR 3200 front, 3900lbs rear.
& GVWR 7200lbs. Are those the numbers for payload? I thought I seen a payload from a search of my Durango to be 1350 or around that. Is there another place to look for payload if those are not the #s? The owners manual just had the same lbs as what was on the door nothing about payload.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #33

OK I checked the door. It has GAWR 3200lbs front, 3900 rear. & GVWR 7200lbs? Nothing about payload? Or are those the #s? I thought in a search of my vehicle a 1350 or around there came up. That is how I got that number. Is there another place on the vehicle to find payload the owners manual had the same # as the door. But nothing on payload?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4kintosh View Post
Never..... I repeat NEVER enter a "weight station" on the side of the highway when lights are flashing or not and expect to get anything weighed unless you are driving commercially! The DOT officers do not take light to that. Just make your way to a certified CAT scale at a truck stop!
I have watched and seen many RV's going in and parked at state scales when they are open, my guess is they mistook them for rest areas.
I am not sure what happens but I guess not much.

But yes bypass if the thing is open.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #35

Quote:
OK I checked the door. It has GAWR 3200lbs front, 3900 rear. & GVWR 7200lbs? Nothing about payload? Or are those the #s? I thought in a search of my vehicle a 1350 or around there came up. That is how I got that number. Is there another place on the vehicle to find payload the owners manual had the same # as the door. But nothing on payload?
Still confused with payload. IS the GAWR #s. Or where else can I find or calculate my payload. I know payload includes the weight of passengers cargo & weight of the trailer hitch etc. But not sure how to find the payload of the Durango (outside of the search I did). We will be about 1050lbs max in vehicle most of that at the hitch of 750lbs I believe. Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #36

rigold, here's a website that may help you thru this process. I, too was very confussed when it came time to find weight loads. This thread has helped a lot even though we don't have a 5th wheel - it's for all kinds of trailers and tow vehicles. It all boils down to how much weight they can tow safely with minimumf strain on the drivetrain and brakes. Good luck and hopes this helps
Gary

RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR
Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #37

Gawr is not the payload number, there should be another sticker as well as tire loading information. Do you see any other stickers? It should be in the drivers side door jam. I just did a quick search and looked at the brochure for the 2014 Citadel and it said 1280 but I did not know all the options and everything you have. The sticker is the best way to determine.

You can get payload by taking GVWR and minus the curb weight.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #38

I have seen others say payload reads "occupant and cargo should not exceed XXXX", there are others reporting the "sticker" saying this over on the dodge forum with Durangos. Either way it is between 1280 and 1340 according to other posts and the brochures.

You will also need the yellow sticker weight of the trailer.

Regardless I will do a little math for you so you know what you are dealing with. Not trying to be the weight police just making you aware. You can choose what you want to do.

I will figure it out with the range of payload between 1280 and 1340 since those are the ranges of the brochure.

Trailer weight with your added gear (you estimated) 6000#

Tongue weight at 12.5 = 750#

Trailer weight of 6800# (your heavy estimate)

Tongue weight at 12.5 = 850

Added items in the TV ( you state: Just my wife & I were not big, with a 30 lbs dog some treats & water for the drive is all that will be in the tv) = I dont know what not big means but lets say you weigh 180 and your wife 120? (not trying to insult her or anything - illustration purposes only) and a 30 lb dog, that right there is 330# plus lets say add 40 pounds for misc stuff (water, snacks, dog gear, suitcase, glove box items, ect). So we are at 370#.

370# + TW (750#) = 1120#

payload range of 1280 - 1340 leaves with 160 - 220 left before you are maxed out (by the numbers).

These were just speculative weight numbers and pretty conservative so you may be hitting the max when you get all of your actual weights. A fully loaded TT will hit your max with capabilities of trailer tow weight as well as payload. Your TV may pull it for awhile but after awhile it will start to wear out due to operating at the maxes each time you go out.

The best thing to do is find the payload sticker on your TV and TT. Take your TV to the scales, get the weight ticket, go home hook up your TT (empty) and go back and get the weight.

Subtract the first ticket from the second ticket and that's your trailer weight. Load up your trailer (ready to camp) and take it back for a third weight. Subtract ticket 1 from ticket 3 and that is your ready to camp weight, subtract ticket 2 from ticket 3 and that is your cargo weight. This is how I did mine so I know exactly what my truck is, exactly what my empty trailer is empty, and exactly what my trailer is ready to camp.

I did all this in one day, the first weight ticket was $10 abd each weight ticket after that within 24hrs was $2. It kills a day but then you will never have to guess at the numbers again.

I know I wrote a novel but just trying to help because I just went through this recently when I bought my new TT.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #39

Saints, thanks for that synopsis for the scales! Easily understood, sounds like a mornings work is all. Gonna do that this weekend.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post

I know I wrote a novel but just trying to help because I just went through this recently when I bought my new TT.
Thank you very much I understand now. I plan on taking to the scales next Monday & will look again for another sticker for payload. The Durango is fully loaded with options so it's probably the 1280#. I wish I knew all of this before I bought the travel trailer. Oh well looks like I may have to go get another truck. Oh well,Bummer! Thanks again

Tags
towing