Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #1

Smile Towing Hitch Vey Low

Bought myself a very nice Range Rover Sport 2009 model a few weeks ago but had no towing hitch fitted so bought a new gen Land Rover removable one from UK(around $700), which just locks in when pushed into its slot now when measured from ground to top of ball on hitch its only 15" (400mm) where as my Mitsubishi 4wd and Ford Transit Van sit at 20"(520mm) which is perfect when towing my Coachmen Apex QBS22. looks like I will have to sell the new hitch and get the removable or fixed receiver with the 2" slot for the different hitch that would rise the hitch ball to 20", Has any members had this problem with there Range Rover Sport that's is if anyone has got one of these and fixed the hitch height issue, Cheers
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #2

You may be able to find a taller ball. When we were factory fitted on our prior TT, they had a variety of balls to adjust to different vehicle heights. We ended up with a hitch that came up about 4" above normal instead of the ball.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I do not have a Range Rover but as said above they make longer shanks to rise or lower the ball height. Mine needed to be reversed (lowered) to allow me to tow the TT when we changed to a larger vehicle. $700 for a hitch... OUCH!!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
You may be able to find a taller ball. When we were factory fitted on our prior TT, they had a variety of balls to adjust to different vehicle heights. We ended up with a hitch that came up about 4" above normal instead of the ball.
The ball cannot be moved its a gooseneck hitch with permanent attached ball see Land Rover Tow Towing Hitch Ball Hook Range Sport LR3 LR4 KNB500070 Thule | eBay this is the one I have, as you can see it sits low, Cheers
Old 08-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
Site Team

How's that supposed to work with a WDH?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
How's that supposed to work with a WDH?
You cannot fit a WDH to Land Rover Range Rover Sport, Its mentions this in the owners manual,
Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
Dad of 2 teenagers...

My Benz receiver also sits at 15" off the ground but I use a ProPride 3P (similar to the Hensley hitch system), dropping the connection to the trailer by 5".

In your situation, I would definitely go with the original 2" lock receiver if the max supported tongue weight is adequate. Or else have a new Curtis hitch (or any other brand) installed that will give you the 800#tongue and Class3 strength. As mentioned by others, you need to setup WD and anti-sway. (I know that I would, even if you are equipped with air suspensions and that the SUV has a tow-mode with sway contol)
2015 Wildwood 261BHXL
2010 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
ProPride 3P Hitch
BobBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaron View Post
My Benz receiver also sits at 15" off the ground but I use a ProPride 3P (similar to the Hensley hitch system), dropping the connection to the trailer by 5".

In your situation, I would definitely go with the original 2" lock receiver if the max supported tongue weight is adequate. Or else have a new Curtis hitch (or any other brand) installed that will give you the 800#tongue and Class3 strength. As mentioned by others, you need to setup WD and anti-sway. (I know that I would, even if you are equipped with air suspensions and that the SUV has a tow-mode with sway contol)
Looks like I will have to shop with Atlantic British in Sun Valley CA, they have the 2" receiver and tow hitch and a video on how to fit them, has tongue weight of 500Lbs, but still no option to fit WDH, in saying that I have towed my TT with my Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero for a few thousand miles here in NZ and never has a single sway on the TT, also the Prodigy 3 brake controller fitted inside the vehicle has a lever to move to brake the TT only if you do get a sway,
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
You cannot fit a WDH to Land Rover Range Rover Sport, Its mentions this in the owners manual,
That's with the factory hitch. When you install an aftermarket 2" hitch then you can use a WD hitch.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Would never tow any full height TT, with a vehicle that doesn't allow to use a WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #11

Maybe factory offers a ball on a taller neck.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #12

Wow, thats British design for you. Figured Ford would have taught them a thing or two about towing. Anyways, with Range Rovers always going into limp mode, might as well assume the ball will be 6" lower than that ... JK. kind of. (former Range Rover owner).

Does yours have leveling control and can you raise your RR up about 3"? Still, might be toublesome unless you only plan on towing a yard bucket.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, towing