Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 11:32 PM   #1

Towing in Snow

We are getting ready to head up to a local ski resort with our travel trailer next weekend. Every time we are up there there are a few dozen folks camping, so we figured what the hell and got a spot.

We plan on towing up in the afternoon and down in the afternoon, so it will be mostly above freezing during these times (Oregon low Cascades). I'm going to turn off the trailer brake, and drive like I've got an egg on the gas and am egg on the brake. Should I bring chains for the trailer?

Anything else I need to think about?
josheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:31 AM   #2

In Oregon, if you are towing a trailer in a location where chains are required, then "drag chains" are also required on your trailer. You need at least one chain side of an axle on your trailer that is equipped with a brake.

So, if you have a 2-axle trailer with brakes on all 4 wheels (common), you need one set of chains, either on the front or rear axle.

Also, why would you turn off your trailer brake???? Please don't do that. If things start to slide when you are going downhill, do you want your truck being pushed by thousands of pounds that you have no control over? Do they disable the trailer brakes on semis in that situation? (no, they don't)

edit: here's the ODOT page on chain requirements: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Mini...n-Requirements

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response.

Good call on the trailer brake, most of what I've heard or read suggests turning it down not off. I guess the idea is to gently apply pressure to those brakes as opposed to locking them up.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by josheaton View Post
We are getting ready to head up to a local ski resort with our travel trailer next weekend. Every time we are up there there are a few dozen folks camping, so we figured what the hell and got a spot.

We plan on towing up in the afternoon and down in the afternoon, so it will be mostly above freezing during these times (Oregon low Cascades). I'm going to turn off the trailer brake, and drive like I've got an egg on the gas and am egg on the brake. Should I bring chains for the trailer?

Anything else I need to think about?
That’s good if you can predict this far out that it will be above freezing in the afternoons of going up and coming down.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #5

Just like on the tow vehicle you don’t want the trailer brakes to lock up, but you don’t want to be pushed around either. Unless things have changed semi trucks with air brakes have two positions on or off. Of course it’s been 23 years since I drove.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

I always check my trailer brakes as soon as I hit the slippery stuff and adjust them down a bit to prevent lockup. You always want them. If your tow vehicle is newer it might include traction control for the trailer brakes.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

Most of the important parts of the question have been answered. Chains, brakes, but the MOST important thing is SLOW DOWN. First off chains are by mfr's instructions limited to 35 mph. This keeps them from beating them to death as the cross links slam the pavement at higher speeds. Also helps prevent damage to the vehicle.

It's also a lot easier to stop if you're going slower.

Also, if you buy chains for your trailer, "Test Fit" them before you hit the mountains. You'll then know they fit and are when installing at a chain-up area you'll spend less time laying in the slush and snow.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Most of the important parts of the question have been answered. Chains, brakes, but the MOST important thing is SLOW DOWN. First off chains are by mfr's instructions limited to 35 mph. This keeps them from beating them to death as the cross links slam the pavement at higher speeds. Also helps prevent damage to the vehicle.

It's also a lot easier to stop if you're going slower.

Also, if you buy chains for your trailer, "Test Fit" them before you hit the mountains. You'll then know they fit and are when installing at a chain-up area you'll spend less time laying in the slush and snow.
Found some at walmart on clearance, will throw them on this weekend in the driveway. Way better to screw around with them down here than up there!

Tags
snow, towing