Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #1

Towing on bumpy roads

Does anyone have any tips for making the ride smoother on bumpy highways and blacktops? These are roads that are already uncomfortable even when the camper isn't attached, but almost jar your teeth when it is. Tow vehicle is a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, camper is a 2021 Salem Hemisphere 273RL. Last year we were in a seasonal spot and had a smaller tow vehicle, so this is the first year we are actually towing a lot. We use an equalizer wdh, there is no sag, and no issues with sway, and on decent roads it's awesome. It doesn't feel unsafe on the bad roads, just very uncomfortable.
Gkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #2

Slowing down is the only thing that worked for us with our tt. Of course, that didn't always work either.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

x2 on the slowing down. The only other option is to find a different road.

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
D W

Slowing down is the only thing you can do. Where I live the roads have speed limits of 55 and 60 mph, but with the pavement cracks and frost heaves you can't drive that fast unless you want use up your tires and rig in a hurry.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Rough Roads

I've found that slowing the speed and looking carefully and trying to avoid potholes is the better solution.

If traffic builds behind you, at a convenient and safe place, pull over and let traffic pass.

The thought; "My truck, my trailer, I set the safe speed." I am courteous and allow traffic to pass, safely. Otherwise, on multi-lane roads, I stay in the right-most legal lane.
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #6
I like the woods

Assuming you’re doing what the above posters said and not driving too fast, if your WDH is oversized for the trailer then it definitely can stiffen up the ride.

When I had a RAM 2500 the best thing I ever did to it was swap out the front swaybar for one from Thuren. I can’t say for certain that it will help your issue without having ridden with you, but it makes a huge difference in the side-to-side head tossing that we had from the factory on our RAM.
Previous RVs: 2022 E-Pro E20FBS, 2020 Airstream International Serenity 30RBQ
Previous Tow Vehicle: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB 6.4 4x4
jsalbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the ideas, these are usually roads with 55 speed limits and not too much traffic, so going slow isn't usually a problem, but even slowing down to 45 doesn't seem to help much. We do choose different routes when possible, but a lot of Iowa roads are just not good. I don't think our wdh is oversized for our camper but that is something we can check into. It's a good sized trailer with a pretty heavy tongue weight. Maybe we just need to go even slower.
Gkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #8

You might consider your TV tire air pressures. Maximum (80 psi) is not necessary unless you are at max load.
I run my Ram 2500 at 65 front and 70 rears when towing, 50 to 55 on rears when empty..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #9

I bought a new tow vehicle this past winter and just pulled my camper with it for the first time. I made all the normal adjustments but pulling out to our camping spot, including bumpy parts of the highway, it just felt like there was a little more bounce than I was used to in my previous pickup. Before I left camp to head home I ended up dropping the hitch 2 inches and tightened up my weight distribution bars one more link. It seemed to help a lot with my ride back home. It was still bouncy on the bumpy parts of the highway but felt way more under control than it did.....with that said, my TT is a bumper pull toy hauler so when I load my SxS in there, its another 1600 lbs.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
You might consider your TV tire air pressures. Maximum (80 psi) is not necessary unless you are at max load.
I run my Ram 2500 at 65 front and 70 rears when towing, 50 to 55 on rears when empty..
X2
Many folks run MAX pressures even when not necessary.
How is your hitch set-up and is it over-rated?

Short of that, slow down. I could care less what those behind me think. I'm not tearing up my stuff so they can go like bats out of He!!.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:18 PM   #11

My Tire manufacturer and my trailer shop say to run side wall max pressure. I used to run these G rated tires at 80 psi like the placard on the RV said but these are 105 psi tires. I’m always just about at my maximum load for the trailer axles. I have been running my tires at 80 psi for about three or four years and I kept getting high temperature alarms from my tire pressure monitors. The reason for this was probably that the tires were under inflated and causing more heat. Now I have the tires set to 100 psi and don’t get any alarms. Yes it does ride rougher now, but now that we have a Dually I’m not too concerned about the strain on the tow vehicle.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:06 PM   #12

Slowing down as in 35 mph or 20 mph.
Some roads have harmonics. You can find the speed that smooths out the lumps.
Washboarding is always bad.
Some roads get maintenance every 5 years or almost never.
Sometimes getting dust in everything is worse than the jarring.
There are trailers with torsion axles that help and even shock absorbers.
What traffic?
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:00 PM   #13

Slow down and watch the vehicles in front of you. If a Kia soul bounces in front of you, you can bet you will bounce as well. 17000 miles in two years. 10000 miles with a pull behind, 7000 with a 5th wheel.
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #14

There are shock absorber kits you can add to your Travel Trailer.
I’m considering Sumo Springs to act as a one direction “shock absorber” on my TT.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkelly View Post
Does anyone have any tips for making the ride smoother on bumpy highways and blacktops? These are roads that are already uncomfortable even when the camper isn't attached, but almost jar your teeth when it is. Tow vehicle is a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, camper is a 2021 Salem Hemisphere 273RL. Last year we were in a seasonal spot and had a smaller tow vehicle, so this is the first year we are actually towing a lot. We use an equalizer wdh, there is no sag, and no issues with sway, and on decent roads it's awesome. It doesn't feel unsafe on the bad roads, just very uncomfortable.
Here is an option: https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...mfort_ride.php
mb1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:05 AM   #16

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
Many folks run MAX pressures even when not necessary.
How is your hitch set-up and is it over-rated?

Short of that, slow down. I could care less what those behind me think. I'm not tearing up my stuff so they can go like bats out of He!!.

Drive your own drive, no one is going to pay for the accelerated wear that driving to fast for the exhisting conditions creates.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #17

With the rough roads here, my cupboard doors kept popping open until I installed these;
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea.../LC279688.html

I have a spread axle which required a different model.

Another option;
https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-CRE2-.../dp/B007HRWI86
Old 07-01-2022, 08:27 AM   #18

Bumpy Roads

Your tow vehicle is built for heavier loads. Thus the tires are a higher rated load capacity, which means they are harder and with stiffer sidewalls. Just the nature of most trucks.

Lower tire pressure will help, BUT not so much as to cause tire sidewall flex and heating. Likewise on the trailer, but the same rule applies. More sidewall flex equals more heating. I would be very cautious with lower pressures.

The WDH as others have mentioned is also worth investigating. Be sure it is set and adjusted correctly. There are many videos showing how to do this. Just because it is tight doesn't make it right.

And finally, as I and others have said, slow down.
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:30 AM   #19

Like ppine said - I've traveled at 20 and 25 mph over a couple of AZ rural highways because of the wavy highway surfaces. This has gone on for twenty plus miles with no other highways to use. If you're talking unsurfaced gravel roads, I've disconnected the WDH bars and slowly rolled thru the pot holes and ruts. Just part of the adventure.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkelly View Post
Thanks for the ideas, these are usually roads with 55 speed limits and not too much traffic, so going slow isn't usually a problem, but even slowing down to 45 doesn't seem to help much. We do choose different routes when possible, but a lot of Iowa roads are just not good. I don't think our wdh is oversized for our camper but that is something we can check into. It's a good sized trailer with a pretty heavy tongue weight. Maybe we just need to go even slower.
I get Iowa roads, as we also live in Iowa and understand what you are going through. Currently we own a Rockwood brand which has the torsion axles but I had a Jayco and I replaced the bolts and equalizers with MoRryde wet bolts and equalizers, big improvement in ride. You might want to look into it.

Lastly through only so much you can do, even the "smooth" Iowa roads are rough, such as Hwy 63 between Eddyville and Ottumwa also Hwy 34 between Ottumwa and Mt Pleasant. Its the expansion joints as others have said sets up a harmonic bounce, I avoid these stretches like the plague.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing