Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
New to Forest River

Question Towing on snowy roads

Is there anyone with information regarding towing a TT over snow covered roads. We are heading South from Oregon later this winter and may be faced with plowed but snow covered roads going over mountain passes. I have chains for the tow vehicle (4WD) but am wondering about my Rockwood 2703WS TT. I could not find any info in the documentation for either TV or TT regarding the safest way to transit sanded snow covered roads.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

Rule #1 (Forget Posted Speed Limits) use your head (Go Slow)! The Goof Ball who passes you going (70) will be in the ditch when you go by at (40)! You are Not going to have (2) sets of tires to change for (Snow?Ice),if it is Real Bad (Pull over and STOP)! There are No tires for a RV that are safe for (ICE) and probably not enough clearance for Chains! Long ago we ran (Studded Snow Tires) most States now outlaw them? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

I have not towed through mountain passes on snowy roads, but I have towed plenty in Michigan in winter. Agree completely with Youroo, drive it so YOU are comfortable, and if you are too unsure, pull over and wait it out. A couple of tips: make sure your exhaust brake is off, if you have one. It can cause an unexpected skid or jackknife. Water spray from other vehicles' tires is a good sign of wet, rather than icy roads. Enjoy the trip!
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #4

Towed quite a bit in winter conditions through the mountains of UT, CO an ID, and just drove like I would without a trailer. As mentioned earlier, drive sanely, no need to go fast and 4-wheel drive is great in snow, but not so great on slick snow or ice and it sure does NOT help in stopping. That's where tires become really important.

Biggest problem I ever had was downhill, and the trailer tires locking up when braking and causing the trailer to skid. I tow a small popup so it was easy to gain control, just by letting up on the brake; so probably a heck of a lot different with a long TT.

So drive to meet the conditions and make sure the horn works so you can honk and wave at those in the ditch, who drive like idiots, pass you like you are standing still and then end up in a ditch a mile down the road.

As for studded tires, I know that WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, WY, UT, CO all allow studded tires after certain dates in Oct or Nov. So if you can find studded for the trailer, it might be worth it; however, I'm sure you will need to go to truck tires. But if you take it easy, it should not be a problem.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Sway bars must be disengaged on slippery roads. WDHs with sway control usually are ok.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

If chains are required you also will need chains on the TT tires. You will need the check the rules for each state that you are going to be driving through.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Agree with Caper, better to have and not need than to need and not have.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #8

Just like Youroo, (Forget Posted Speed Limits) use your head (Go Slow), I drove several time in February in NY State going south, I drove slow, Keep a good distance, I mean real good distance to the front vehicle, If you have to break, and the trailer(5Th Wheels) lock, release the brake and apply them again. And if like appended twice to us. Snow storms start, so we stopped to the nearest truck stop until it clear.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Have a good trip.

Jean

Jean & Lucille
2014 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2011 Silverado Duramax 6.6L W/Allison
electroblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #9

In our business we use our 5th wheel rv and have to travel over the Sierra several times over the course of the year. We only travel during daylight hours but have had to chain up truck and trailer many times. The Sierra mountains are relatively close to the oceans so conditions can be slushy and Icy making for some treacherous conditions. What works best for me is slow and i also turn my trailer brakes off as much as possible. I also tow with a Dodge Ram with exhaust brake which for me works very well in 4 wheel drive in these conditions. No matter I have had some white knuckle experiences even at slow speed. So slow is always good and driving ahead of yourself. And for me towing in these conditions is best done in day light hours.
soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

Take it slow and leave lots of room to brake. I have not towed our TT but have many miles of snow and ice with snowmobiles in a cargo trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #11

Thumbs up Sway Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
Sway bars must be disengaged on slippery roads. WDHs with sway control usually are ok.
Techntrek, just curious, but why would you disengage the sway bars? I would think allowing the trailer to sway would cause it to "fishtail" easier. Keeping the trailer going as straight as possible on snow with slower speeds, less aggressive braking/steering, and common sense driving is the best advise anyone can give you. Good luck.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #12

They recommend disengaging friction sway when the roads are slippery. This also includes rain.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Okay, I'm with gfarmcafe. Can anyone go into more detail as to why we should disengage sway bars in wet or snowy conditions...please!
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

This article from etrailer gives some explanation on why to disengage your sway control.
Using Sway Control in Slippery Conditions, Wet, Icy or Snow Covered and Gravel Roads | etrailer.com
Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Thanks Mark but that article seems specific to the Curt # 17200, whatever that is. I don't have that unit but I'd do have great sway bars & they work great.

Does anyone else have input on the use of sway bars in wet, snowy or gravel conditions?
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #16

The law for Oregon and California is..chains on the tow vehicle and chains on the trailer.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #17

It doesn't matter what model sway bar you own, read the directions, they all say to disengage them in slippery conditions.

From the Reese instructions:
When towing during slippery conditions such as wet, icy, or snow-covered roads or on loose gravel, turn on/off handle counterclockwise until all tension is removed from unit. Failure to do so could prevent tow vehicle and trailer from turning properly.

http://hitchpro.com/application/supp...ons/N26660.pdf
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #18

I towed through the Blue Mountains last winter (Oregon, I-84)

The road was solid snow pack. 25 mph in 4wd was the fastest I was comfortable driving.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Define what the difference is between a "sway bar" and a "sway control"

I'm familiar with the friction style sway control device commonly used with a weight distribution hitch.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
Denver, CO

Quote:

???

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
snow, towing