Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #21

Some good info.

The first thing that I would do is take your set up to the CAT or other scales if you haven't. Many think they are in capacity limits only to find out that their trailer is much heavier than they thought.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #22
PhD, Common Sense

If you go to the Goshen rally, there is a guy there who will weigh your TV and trailer, tire-by-tire.

With those numbers, he can make recommendations about moving cargo left and right, not just front and back. He can also calculate recommended tire pressures, which eliminates a lot of guessing (or running unnecessarily at max pressure).
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

And it is NOT about the 6,000 capacity but it IS about the payload capacity of his tow vehicle. The payload capacity is almost always the limiting factor.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #24

So if you do a search on Forest River about mountain driving or mountain driving tips. There is lots of good information you can learn from. Some post have already provided great tips.

1) I assume your pathfinder is front wheel drive so use weight distribution hitch to return weight to front tires.
2) Regardless of how close you are to max tow weight if towing a trailer the trailer brakes need to stop the trailer,not the tow vehicle. However always leave enough room between you and objects in front of you for an increased braking distance.
3 )read your owners manual about towing and mountain towing if it is there.
4) Tow Haul mode again read your manual and don’t forget to use it when you tow.
5) it’s not a race many people will tell you that you need a diesel to keep up in the mountains. My experience with the exception of a few interstate passes most mountain roads that are steep have sharp corners to keep the incline to a minimum. If you struggle going up don’t worry so do some of the 18 wheelers. If their is a right lane once you loose momentum just get in the lane and stay in it. If there isn’t just keep going it won’t be the first or last time people get stuck behind a slower vehicle.
6) going down hill, I would manually down shift ( again check owners manual as I know Nissan likes CVT transmissions I don’t know if that effects this rule or not) before starting my decent if the grade is long and steep. This will allow the engine ( it will rev up) and transmission too do most of the braking for you. I learned as a kid learning to drive in the mountains that you as you go down hill. You brake until you are 5-10 mph under speed limit then as the vehicle is returning back to speed it gives your brakes time to cool.
7) have reasonable expectations, you are towing extra weight in the form of a big parachute. Your engine is going to work harder, rev higher and drink a lot gas, this is true of ALL engines.
8) do your best to enjoy the trip be safe but enjoy the ride.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockthecasbah View Post
Agreed, except I think you mean moot (as in "moot point" ) rather than mute.
Yep...thank you very much for the grammar lesson. I am blaming beer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVmomoftwins View Post
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have advice on towing my RV that will help with steep hills, etc?

I'm not new to camping, but I am new to being responsible for towing, ensuring safety, etc. So, I recently purchased a 2017 Flagstaff 233S hybrid RV, after I purchased my car 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, with a max tow weight of 6000lbs, thinking I had enough towing power. Well, weight-wise, it's all within range. However, I didn't think of wind weight, and mountains, etc. I'm going on my first camping trip with this RV and I'm unsure how it will handle the mountains of TN. Any advice is welcomed. I'm even considering renting a truck. But that's not ideal on a regular basis and I can't sell or trade my vehicle in at this time.

I have also purchased a weight distribution and sway bar to aid in towing.
You need to take your rig to a CAT scale and get your actual weights. These scales are located in the large Pilot/Loves truck stops.

Go to towingplanner.com to learn how to use the scale weights to calculate your tongue weight. Subtract tongue weight from the payload capacity number found on the yellow sticker inside the drivers door jamb. This is the remaining weight you can load into your vehicle. People, pets, food, etc. I will guess that you will have little, if any, payload capacity left, but that is just a guess. Good luck and hope everything works out great for your trip!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
And it is NOT about the 6,000 capacity but it IS about the payload capacity of his tow vehicle. The payload capacity is almost always the limiting factor.
X2 for those citing cargo carrying capacity over maximum towing weight. We are over 1000 lbs. below our stated tow capacity, but are right at the top of our payload capacity. As a loyal Hensley Arrow hitch fan, I'd recommend adding that to your TT, but you've already bought WDH and anti-sway of some type, and the Hensley is expensive and heavy. If you hit that 6000 lb. mark, you are likely to have over 720 lbs. on the tongue; and with you, a few children, and a bunch of "stuff," you could easily hit 1000 lbs on the tongue. Not sure that Pathfinder could be rated for that, even if it is otherwise tow-worthy. The scales will tell the story, and that would be a good thing to know before any mountain driving. You're doing the difficult part to research capacities and safety - and that will enable you to enjoy the trip with the kids when the time comes. Safe travels and happy camping.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #28
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVmomoftwins View Post
[...] So, I recently purchased a 2017 Flagstaff 233S hybrid RV, [...] max tow weight of 6000lbs,[...] Well, weight-wise, it's all within range. [...]
As others have said, no it's not all within range.

The fictional dry weight of your trailer is 5,100 lbs, so there's almost no chance that you're within your tow capacity number of 6,000 lbs.

Then there's the payload issue that many people have brought up that is conspicuous by its absence from your post. That will also almost assuredly be out of range.

You're overloaded. It's no surprise that it's not performing as you'd like.

You need a much more capable vehicle for that trailer and what is presumably a decent sized family ... based on the floorplan of the trailer and the fact you're using an SUV, I'm guessing at least a family of 4.

I recommend reading the myriad posts on tow vehicles, payload, etc. on here. You don't need a diesel monster, but a mid-sized SUV isn't going to get it done with your 233S.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
As others have said, no it's not all within range.

The fictional dry weight of your trailer is 5,100 lbs, so there's almost no chance that you're within your tow capacity number of 6,000 lbs.

Then there's the payload issue that many people have brought up that is conspicuous by its absence from your post. That will also almost assuredly be out of range.

You're overloaded. It's no surprise that it's not performing as you'd like.

You need a much more capable vehicle for that trailer and what is presumably a decent sized family ... based on the floorplan of the trailer and the fact you're using an SUV, I'm guessing at least a family of 4.

I recommend reading the myriad posts on tow vehicles, payload, etc. on here. You don't need a diesel monster, but a mid-sized SUV isn't going to get it done with your 233S.

Good luck.
This X10. I would bet a dime on a donut your Pathfinder is overloaded when you pull the 233S with everything loaded for camping. You've got bigger issues than power in the mountains.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Just remember that the Pathfinder is basically a glorified unibody minivan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just remember that the Pathfinder is basically a glorified unibody minivan.
This.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #32

Lacking grammar and spell-check I will risk encouraging you to hook up to your trailer with Nissan and try one of your nearby wonderful campsites locally for a day. If your Pathfinder has tow mode, use it. Since the vehicle is recent purchase it is an assumption that it has "towing" option. If not installed already a transmission cooler can be added for less than a car payment. A little practice run will prepare you and make vacation more enjoyable.
You already are aware of limits in mountain driving, keep the days on road shorter if it is too stressful and try to anticipate traffic ahead.
I do like suggestion to adjust hitch properly especially on fwd vehicles to avoid loss of front traction.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #33

I don't get it that hybrid has 1600 # payload. got 35' TT w/ 1000# did i buy wrong trailer ???
brobinson0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson0857 View Post
I don't get it that hybrid has 1600 # payload. got 35' TT w/ 1000# did i buy wrong trailer ???
Actually CCC is 1645lbs

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...-roo/233S/3842

No, unless you like 3 canvas tent ends for beds.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson0857 View Post
Maybe. You have maybe 600 lb for you and the family and any luggage. Everything else needs to go in the trailer. If the 1000lb number is dry based the hitch load will be higher when the trailer is higher. You should have 10% of trailer weight on the hitch.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 PM   #36

Its really easy to add 1000-2000 pounds of stuff and people and pets to your total weight. My TT is 4233 unloaded, my truck is 6200 on the scale with just me in it. My total scale weight is 12200. So theres 1767 pounds of people, pets and stuff added to my TT and truck bed.

My point is, go weigh the whole rig with all your gear. I’ll bet you’re over.

“Good luck is when opportunity meets preparation, while bad luck is when lack of preparation meets reality.”
Old 07-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #37

I'd not worry about going UP our little mountains in NC. However, I'd buy all occupants hiking boots with heavy soles. Cut the floorboards out so on the downhill y'all can put your feet down to assist slowing on the downhill side. Not all our big hills have guard rails and some have a nasty drop.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #38

The Nissan will struggle up hills but I think braking will be the biggest problem especially coming down steep grades. Above all, slow way down at the crest of the hill and don't let it gather too much speed. You simply don't have the braking surface that a larger truck does. It's entirely possible to cook and boil your brake fluid leaving you with no brakes at all. I read the Pathfinder has a CVT transmission. How much engine braking can you get out of a CVT? Not sure how that works or if a CVT can take working like that.

I agree 100% about going to a CAT scale and getting accurate weights so you know for sure your tongue and trailer weight. You'll have to unhitch the camper on the scale with the tongue jack on it's own pad.

Can it be done? Probably. You don't have much room for error though.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #39

Lawyer Limits ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I don't understand why so many want to tow at their max limits. What ever happened to the 80 percent thought?
I have wondered if Max Tow Limit was actually valid...like this is going to kill you or your TV. I suspect it is more of a Lawyer Limit designed to give the TV manufacturer more leverage in a law suit. C'mon, you know I am right.

Stephen
stepheneadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #40

Pathfinder towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by updhaul View Post
Lacking grammar and spell-check I will risk encouraging you to hook up to your trailer with Nissan and try one of your nearby wonderful campsites locally for a day. If your Pathfinder has tow mode, use it. Since the vehicle is recent purchase it is an assumption that it has "towing" option. If not installed already a transmission cooler can be added for less than a car payment. A little practice run will prepare you and make vacation more enjoyable.
You already are aware of limits in mountain driving, keep the days on road shorter if it is too stressful and try to anticipate traffic ahead.
I do like suggestion to adjust hitch properly especially on fwd vehicles to avoid loss of front traction.

I agree. Do this^^^^^^^. Then you’ll figure out what you need to do to make it better, how to handle it and what it feels like.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, weight