Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I believe everyone can benefit from a bit of extra knowledge, even me.
Maybe you can teach auto correct to always use the correct word.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #42
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Maybe you can teach auto correct to always use the correct word.
Now that is something I wouldn't ever attempt. I turn it off and suffer the consequences of continually correcting before submitting or leaving the embarrassing mess and wait for the repercussions.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #43

I double tow (triple to some), I tow a flatbed cargo trailer with two motorcycles (04 fatboy and 14 street glide), I am 1 inch short of 65 feet, I am legal in all the states I travel in, most states are 65 feet, there are some that are shorter and some are longer, my total weight is approx 14K, my truck has a towing capacity of 17.5K. I did re-enforce the bumper and the camper frame. And some states you can't legally tow this set up, I have been to or through every state in the mid-west, except for Illinois, I don't like Illinois. With the right truck you don't even know the length is behind, the length has nothing to do with stopping distance, it is the weight and I am 3800 lbs under my towing capacity and not even close to my CCC. I will say this, if you travel the back roads you better plan, you do not want to find your self in a situation where you have to turn around and there is no room, been there done that.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #44
Life-Long Camper/Boater

I pull a boat behind my 5th Wheel in Utah

I pull a 15' Boston Whaler boat behind my 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring model - my tow vehicle is a 2005 Ford Super Duty F250 Crew cab - long wheel base. All total I am about 75'. Utah is fine & I think Idaho too. Nevada and California, Washington and Oregon don't allow it. Looks like a previous blog response said it is common in Arizona.

I was dodging the Utah highway patrol thinking I heard there was a length limit of 72' or something. I would pull off the highway and take side roads to avoid my obvious long load being discovered.

Then I found out that there is no legal restriction on length of pulling double trailers on non-commercial trailers as long as you drive safe, are properly equipped, all lights and blinkers are in order. Utah welcomes and encourages recreational tourism in their state including double trailers. But again - they are tough on un-safe speed and equipment in poor shape that endangers everyone sharing the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double Towing.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	165347  
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I double tow (triple to some), I tow a flatbed cargo trailer with two motorcycles (04 fatboy and 14 street glide), I am 1 inch short of 65 feet, I am legal in all the states I travel in, most states are 65 feet, there are some that are shorter and some are longer, my total weight is approx 14K, my truck has a towing capacity of 17.5K. I did re-enforce the bumper and the camper frame. And some states you can't legally tow this set up, I have been to or through every state in the mid-west, except for Illinois, I don't like Illinois. With the right truck you don't even know the length is behind, the length has nothing to do with stopping distance, it is the weight and I am 3800 lbs under my towing capacity and not even close to my CCC. I will say this, if you travel the back roads you better plan, you do not want to find your self in a situation where you have to turn around and there is no room, been there done that.
How easy is it to back up

As for weight being an issue, it's rarely weight that becomes an issue. It's the "conga line" that can form behind you when you get passed by semi's or have to make evasive maneuvers. Not good when you see the side of your trailer in the LH mirror and the side of your boat in the RH mirror

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #46
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Here's an old thread with some real "outside the box" ideas applied to how you can bring a golf cart and a fifth wheel along:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...art-69561.html

Ultimately though, I believe most of this was theoretical.

Back to the original question, about whether or not it's legal to double tow, I'm curious how the reciprocal laws work between states. Seems contradictory to say "If you're legal in your state, you're legal here" when applied to weight limits , but on the flip side to say "Don't matter if you're legal in your state, you're illegal here" when applied to the double tow.

Not that I'm advocating double towing. Personally, I'd never consider double towing, as I would never be able to backup like that. I have enough trouble backing up short utility trailers as it is before you add a second articulating joint to the mix. But that's me, and I'm not the OP.
The only reciprocity that is granted is a valid Driver's License and a valid Vehicle Registration. Beyond that you must comply with that state's laws. That State Trooper is not concerned with what is legal in another state.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I know that was in jest- but the backing up issue is a moot point. Any motorhome that is towing 4-down can’t.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #48

Here in nevada the overall lenght is 70' and california is 65'.....been pulling boat for years, never a problem....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	054.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	165355  
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #49

I think you can pull a double as long as you stay on the interstate or drive no more than a few miles off the interstate. I see double pulling in South Carolina, I have seen that in Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think you can pull a double as long as you stay on the interstate or drive no more than a few miles off the interstate. I see double pulling in South Carolina, I have seen that in Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach.

I asked a PA cop about that based on something I read here on the forum. It sounds like that is NOT the case. As I understood it, states can make laws that are more restrictive than the federal laws on interstates and those laws take precedence.

But, this is the telephone game (I asked and am paraphrasing). So, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

As for weight being an issue, it's rarely weight that becomes an issue. It's the "conga line" that can form behind you when you get passed by semi's or have to make evasive maneuvers. Not good when you see the side of your trailer in the LH mirror and the side of your boat in the RH mirror
I can back about 20 feet in most cases, other than that I am unhooking the MC trailer , as far as length no big deal. it is easy to pull, I try not to get myself into a position where I have to worry, but that is why I have the truck I have :-), I would have had a dually but no the DW said noooooooooooooooooo.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

From NJ to Sarasota to Orlando & back to NJ many times. Never an issue on Interstates when travelling portal to portal. Along the eastern seaboard, except MD., it's not legal for RV to double tow if you're off the Interstate in a town. Limiting factor for me was the 65' which I'm right at. I passed and was passed by dozens of Sheriffs & State Police over the years which they never gave a second look. Plus to have an enforceable offense there would be a statute for it. Most L.E. wouldn't even know if there was one nevermind to be able to write you a summons for it.
This is all you see out west, especially Idaho where I first discovered it nearly 20 years ago. When we check in at campgrounds I always ask if they see this much? They all have seen it but more commonly seen in the Florida gulf for whatever reason. Be sure to have a proper hitch installed with safety chains and wired for the tag-a-long. Have 4 points of attachment for the load (golf car). I also wired in a camera so I can view the rear trailer anytime. The more you look like you know what you're doing the less likely you'll ever have a problem.
So can it be done? Everyday. Is it legal in North Carolina? Maybe not, but either is traveling 60 in a 55. Is it the operators responsibility? You bet.
So let's hear from experienced folks instead of naysayers with no real experience. Here's a couple pics.

Name:	20161119_124054.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	165416

Name:	89744.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	165417

Name:	20161110_155046.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	165418
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #53

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I would double tow in a heartbeat... if it was allowed in my state (Oregon). IIRC when I checked into it a few years ago, Oregon allowed it for those who are "passing through", but not to local residents.

For those concerned about backing when double towing... it's a sacrifice you must make in order to bring all your stuff along. Even the commercial trucks have this restriction (realistic restriction, not legal restriction). Ever watch the delivery trucks with doubles pull into your local Walmart/Kroger/UPS etc. and unhook before backing into the dock?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONUSMC View Post
The DOT considers the Idaho Tote a Tag unit which means it is an extension of your RV. It attaches two solid points to the RV and does not have a pivot point like a trailer. It has articulating axles so you can back up the RV and Tote as one!!! Just got one for my Arctic Wolf 5th and it is great but not cheap. Legal everywhere. Comes in 6ft to 10ft lengths. Hope this helps http://www.idahotote.com/wp-content/...ote_update.pdf
I see you have a letter saying that it legal in Idaho but it does not say anything about being legal in other states. did I miss the other letter from federal DOT ??

For instance a letter from Idaho DOT would not stand up in a Virginia court only a letter from Virginia DOT or federal DOT would.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #55

I'll stand with 05CrewDually on the subject of double towing or whatever you want to argue about calling it. I have no plans to ever travel either coast ... it's legal here in the mid-west where I frequent many lakes, so it fits for us. Since the late 90's, I've double towed either a double jet ski trailer or the current squirt boat behind 3 different Montana's and now my Silverback. I have a rear mount camera above the rear window of the fiver to keep an eye on things. Am I over length ... a bit and always have been. Have I ever been stopped ... never. If your setup looks professional and you drive with common sense, you'll not be a target to be stopped. Have I ever had frame issues ... never. Did I have a special hitch made ... yes, a sturdy one. Did I worry about frame warranty ... no. Do I have an issue backing up ... not really for say the length of my setup. I have only had to unhook the boat trailer once in 18 years and it was my fault for turning down the wrong campground roadway. If you plan your fuel stops and where you turn into ... backing up is a non issue. Like any topic there are believers and non-believers ... 05CrewDually typed out an interesting sentence "So let's hear from experienced folks instead of naysayers with no real experience." You're hearing from me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00050.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	165431  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My suggestion is you may do it for years and not get stopped but that one time that they make you leave the second trailer to be towed off can be costly.

I too see it at Ocean lakes rarely but probably at a rate of one per 2000 campers. I think if it were legal you would see it more often.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #57

Consider this ... if you are obsessively worried about "that one time" related to a given subject ... you're sure going to miss some fun in life. Years ago, the back row at a drive-in turned out to be a great marriage for me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Consider this ... if you are obsessively worried about "that one time" related to a given subject ... you're sure going to miss some fun in life. Years ago, the back row at a drive-in turned out to be a great marriage for me.
I would think that it depends on what that one time is........... and what the definition of "fun" is.......

A group of my son's friends often went swimming in a posted no trespassing quarry as it was fun............. The outcome one day changed a young man's life forever...... if nothing had have happened would that make it ok ???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 03-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #59
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Consider this ... if you are obsessively worried about "that one time" related to a given subject ... you're sure going to miss some fun in life.
Bonnie Parker & Clyde Barrow operated on that exact philosophy.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul and Debbie View Post
I pull a 15' Boston Whaler boat behind my 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring model - my tow vehicle is a 2005 Ford Super Duty F250 Crew cab - long wheel base. All total I am about 75'. Utah is fine & I think Idaho too. Nevada and California, Washington and Oregon don't allow it. Looks like a previous blog response said it is common in Arizona.

I was dodging the Utah highway patrol thinking I heard there was a length limit of 72' or something. I would pull off the highway and take side roads to avoid my obvious long load being discovered.

Then I found out that there is no legal restriction on length of pulling double trailers on non-commercial trailers as long as you drive safe, are properly equipped, all lights and blinkers are in order. Utah welcomes and encourages recreational tourism in their state including double trailers. But again - they are tough on un-safe speed and equipment in poor shape that endangers everyone sharing the highway.
My dad always double towed his fiver with his boat it is legal in California if you get a restricted class 1 cdl (no air brakes) or CDL. Many years ago my cousin who is a truck driver used to double tow TT's I always told him he was nuts.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, towing, trailer, wheel