Old 03-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #61

I see the glass half full ... youse guys apparently see the glass half empty. Back to the subject of my metaphor ... if you don't want to double tow ... don't ... cease hammering away at those of us who do.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I see the glass half full ... youse guys apparently see the glass half empty. Back to the subject of my metaphor ... if you don't want to double tow ... don't ... cease hammering away at those of us who do.
I'm a half-empty glass type, always drinking the first half.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #63

I'm only replying cause someone wanted to hear from the folks that have actually "double towed". Wife and I have been doing it for years with two different fifth wheels. We pull a fish and ski boat that I'll admit is probably a bit heavier then it should be. On both our Springdale and then on our Denali we had the frame beefed up to handle the hitch for the boat. The Denali setup was just under 72' when hooked to the F350 and boat. Iowa allows 70'. Never had a problem with towing or stopping. Like stated before, you just have to plan ahead before pulling into places that could get tight. You should be doing that anyway with any trailer you are pulling. Last fall we purchased a 2017 32' 8289WS which will put us just under the 70' limit here in Iowa. I've read a ton of post that have stated the frames will not handle pulling our boat with this trailer. Our fabricator has assured us that they can make it both sturdy and safe. We didn't purchase our new fifth wheel until late fall last year and have only used it twice before winter hit so the hitch is not installed yet. You can bet it will be before long. Can things go wrong doing this, you bet. Can things go wrong pulling your large or small RV down the road, sure can. In my thirty seven years of Law Enforcement I covered many tow vehicle trailer accidents/incidents and not a one of them was considered a double tow. To end my rant, yes double towing is done, it is safe if done right and it makes it nice when the wife can ride with me when we head to the lake instead of pulling the boat in her Explorer.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #64

Should add, we only pull the boat within Iowa. We live forty miles from the Mississippi and within a hundred miles of three Reservoirs that we camp/boat at.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #65

sometimes not as safe as the driver thinks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uhaul.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	166328  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Now I need flares? had no idea
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #67

I'd check with your state motor vehicle laws. I just peeked at the link you have for all states and Iowa is way off from being correct. Code Section 321.457 does allow double trailers with a max length of 70 feet. The nation wide chart is either outdated or just prepared with the wrong info.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #68

Wow, should have proof read my previous long post. The wife does not pull the boat in her Explorer but rather behind it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #69
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
I'd check with your state motor vehicle laws. I just peeked at the link you have for all states and Iowa is way off from being correct. Code Section 321.457 does allow double trailers with a max length of 70 feet. The nation wide chart is either outdated or just prepared with the wrong info.
All of the links anyone has ever posted for "Towing Laws" I have found multiple discrepancies and deem them an unreliable source.
State laws are on the web so I always recommend looking it up yourself instead of going by someone's misinterpretation or an outdated misinformed website list.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
All of the links anyone has ever posted for "Towing Laws" I have found multiple discrepancies and deem them an unreliable source.
State laws are on the web so I always recommend looking it up yourself instead of going by someone's misinterpretation or an outdated misinformed website list.
I hear you about the incorrect info. Sad thing is, the state laws on the state websites are usually incorrect also! That's where most of the other sites mine their data from. And then if you call the DOT or State Police three times and ask the same question, you will get three different answers. For my questions, I finally gave up and just did what made sense to me. Figure if I get stopped, I'll deal with it then
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #71
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I hear you about the incorrect info. Sad thing is, the state laws on the state websites are usually incorrect also! That's where most of the other sites mine their data from. And then if you call the DOT or State Police three times and ask the same question, you will get three different answers. For my questions, I finally gave up and just did what made sense to me. Figure if I get stopped, I'll deal with it then
The reason behind what I posted is if you print out & refer to a law published on a state website in black and white is a much better defense than "well it makes sense to me."
Print that law out and throw it in the glove box may someday save you some time & money.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
The reason behind what I posted is if you print out & refer to a law published on a state website in black and white is a much better defense than "well it makes sense to me."
Print that law out and throw it in the glove box may someday save you some time & money.
Good idea. It will be quite a folder for the applicable laws
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #73
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'm coming from experience. I've done it. And nowadays the cop can Google it himself when he gets back to the patrol car and verify it.
Of course you're only carrying those uncommon ones. I use to carry the printed copy of a statute for classic cars not requiring a front license plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Good idea. It will be quite a folder for the applicable laws

Tags
fifth wheel, towing, trailer, wheel