Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Towing vehicle for NOBO 10.6

Hi there,

I’m new. I just put a deposit on a 2020 Nobo 10.6.

I need to sell my van and buy a towing vehicle. I have about two weeks to do so.

What is the optimal towing vehicle for the NOBO 10.6?

I used to own a Casita, which I towed with a Hyundai Santa Fe. In retrospect, I wish I had had a vehicle with more towing capacity.

On the other hand, my finances are limited. I do plan on buying the vehicle used.

Is it a good general rule to double or to triple the dry weight (plus hitch weight)?

Thank you,

Quasimodo the Nobo
Quasimodo the Nobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:32 PM   #2

There are tons of factors to determine what is your optimal towing vehicle. If you want to stay with the van/suv type vehicle there is Dodge Durango and Ford Explorer. I would not go less than 5,000 towing capacity. Don't forget towing capacity INCLUDES whatever cargo capacity is listed in the specs for the vehicle. Most vehicles with 5,000 lbs or more towing capacity will have at least 500 lbs tongue weight limit, and I would not go below 500 lbs tongue weight limit.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #3

Question Thank you Navy

Good answer. I was thinking 5000, but should I go higher? Maybe 6000 or 6500?

Thanks,

Quasimodo
Old 04-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Is there any possibility that you'll ever get a bigger trailer? If so, get a truck that has the ability to pull more than just your NoBo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:41 AM   #5

Possibly

Maybe, but likely not, as I can’t afford it.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

The biggest mistake that people make when buying a towing vehicle is to underestimate their towing needs and the weight carrying capacity of their towing vehicle.

Keep in mind that the more options you put on your towing vehicle (sunroof, extended cab, power options), the less cargo/trailer tongue weight it can carry.

One mistake folks make is that becasue they are buying a comparitively "light" trailer, they assume they can tow with a light duty vehicle more suited for driving to work than for towing. But these smaller vehicles can quickly get overwhelmed with a fully loaded trailer, even a "light" one.

Manufacturers and dealers make underestimating the weight of your trailer easy because they emphasize the dry weight of a trailer and not necessarily the total vehicle weight rating of a trailer fully loaded.

Towing vehicle manufacturers mislead people by publishing a tow rating (how much weight a vehicle can supposedly tow) without emphasizing the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle (which can be found in a yellow sticker on the driver's side door frame.)

So, if your towing vehicle is rated to tow a 3,600# trailer, but you buy a trailer model that, when loaded with basics (propane, tools, some water, all your clothing) is somewhat front-end weighted, your trailer's tongue weight can quickly help you exceed your towing vehicle's weight carrying capacity(while still being within the towing vehicle's general tow rating). This affects your ability to control the vehicle in strong winds, on steep downhill driving, and for sudden braking situations. The tail can start wagging the dog.

Always focus on 1) how much weight your towing vehicle can carry on board, which includes the tongue weight of your trailer; 2) always compute the tongue weight of your trailer as about 15% of your trailer's fully loaded weight (GVWR).

If you have a trailer rated at 3,600# maxmum weight, then plan on having a tongue weight (+/-) of about 540#. Then deduct that 540# number from the amount of cargo weight capacity on your towing vehicle's driver's side door sticker. That will tell you how much additional cargo weight you can carry in terms of equipment, grills, pets, aircompressors, and people.

Then you'll have a pretty realistic chance of keeping your new rig within various safety guidelines for towing.

You're always safer with a little excess tow capacity.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo the Nobo View Post
Hi there,

I’m new. I just put a deposit on a 2020 Nobo 10.6.

I need to sell my van and buy a towing vehicle. I have about two weeks to do so.

What is the optimal towing vehicle for the NOBO 10.6?

I used to own a Casita, which I towed with a Hyundai Santa Fe. In retrospect, I wish I had had a vehicle with more towing capacity.

On the other hand, my finances are limited. I do plan on buying the vehicle used.

Is it a good general rule to double or to triple the dry weight (plus hitch weight)?

Thank you,

Quasimodo the Nobo
That trailer, loaded to capacity, will have a tongue weight of approximately 500 lbs. Be sure your new vehicle is rated for at least that hitch weight, preferably more.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #8

TV

Look at the payload capacity on the driver's side door of anything specific TV you are considering. More options, less payload. Payload is the 1 st. number to be exceeded. Also remember, the factory weight area almost always understated and before battery, propane, water. My last TT was 600 lb. on a 27' prior to adding necessary stuff. P/u of the same size w/ have more capacity than SUV-less roof and stiffer suspension.
I purchase a TV w/ at least a 15% buffer over factory TT numbers. The only other alternative is put a scale by the trailer door to weigh all the stuff DW loads up.
I have never heard anyone say, "I wish I had bought less truck".
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing