Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #1

Towing w/ New Ranger

I have a question for those towing with a Ranger. Iím looking at a few Forest River TTís with a dry weight of ~4,000. I saw that someone mentioned signing up for the Ford Forum. Iíve posted numerous questions on that forum and itís been a month without a single reply. I find RV sites to be much more responsive. My main concern is not towing capacity. The Ranger tows 7,500 pounds. The camperís that Iím looking at have a fully loaded weight of less than 5,000. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4x4 and Hemi V8 but the payload is only 1,050. So Iím looking at a Ranger. They claim payload is 1,560 but I know options always affect payload. For those of you with a Ranger Lariat 4x4, what is your actual payload capacity? With a family of 4 and a large dog, the Jeep will not work. Ive seen numerous 1/2 ton trucks with a 1,200-1,300 payload which would not be adequate for my family. Itís crazy to think a midsize could have a higher payload than a half ton. Thoughts?? Andy
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #2

My F150 has just over 1,800 lbs of payload. It's a Supercrew with the XLT trim level. Keeping the bling under control will increase your payload.

Out of curiosity, why the Ranger and not a full size? Cost is not much different.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #3

To be honest, I’m not a big truck guy. That’s why I started with the Grand Cherokee. I was not even interested in the larger SUV’s. 1/2 Ton trucks are hard to maneuver, will not fit in my garage, sit higher (wife is vertically challenged and my kids are 6 and 4), do not have significantly more capabilities vs a Ranger (for my needs) and worse gas mileage. My wife is “encouraging” me to get a Lariat or higher trim (she says leather seats are a must with young kids. I also do not need to tow 12,000 pounds. My wife and I both want a smaller TT so we cannot justify the higher price point. Our local dealership has a 1/2 Ton Lariat that has a few options but not everything. And the payload is 1,600. Options, 4x4, higher trim than the XLT and safety features dropped the payload vs the trim you have. They are anticipating a Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 which matches the EXACT build I wanted that was supposed to arrive this week (but did not show, they expect early next week). The price of the 1/2 Ton was ~$62,500 and the Ranger was $44K. They are selling ALL F-150’s at sticker price. There are NO discounts or incentives. They offered to drop the Ranger $1,200 to $42,800. In other words, the 1/2 Ton is $20K more. I totally understand that it is a more capable truck. However, for my needs, a Ranger (if the payload is similar to the published amount of 1,560) would more than meet my minimum requirements. If you disagree, I would love to hear your thoughts. Unlike Facebook and Twitter where people seem to go to argue and complain, I’m looking for your opinion and honest feedback. So please, I encourage you to share. I have learned so much from these forums from people that had more experience than myself. I have strong skin! Ha. Cheers. Andy
Old 07-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #4

Sorry to hear you didn't get any responses on the Ford ranger forum. have you searched for others?

I found multiple F150 forums, one was very active the other seemed to be deserted.

I have no experience with the Ranger so any advise I'd offer would just be from the "I think I know it all" section.

safe travels

"I'm no expert but I play one online"
Old 07-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

All of your points in favor of the Ranger are good ones. I was looking at the Ranger when I bought my F150 a few years ago. At that time pricing was pretty close. The selling point for me on the F150 was the interior room. I'm taller, 6'2", with broad shoulders. I just could not see me being comfortable driving the Ranger for 6 to 8 hours.

My wife is bare 5'2" and with the running boards can easily enter and exit the truck. Keep in mind your kids are going to grow and the extra space will be appreciated. We use my truck for the family vehicle because it has more room than my wife's Edge.

The most important factor to consider is the payload of the truck and the gross weight of your TT. There are numerous threads on this forum about this. 1500 lbs gets eaten up pretty quickly with a family of 4. Run the numbers and listen to what they tell you.

As for leather, I used to agree with your wife. However, I decided I can put a seat cover under the kids.

I do park in the driveway. I have gotten very good at maneuvering in parking lots. With my older gen truck (2012) I get about 16 mpg in town and 18-20 hwy. I do love the 36 gal fuel tank when towing.

Basically, you need to do you. Just be sure you do it safely. For a $20K difference it makes the Ranger more appealing.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #6

I would assume that since you have two children and you mentioned 4WD, you’ll be going for the 4x4 super crew. You’re considering the Lariat trim, which will eat up payload as well. Whatever you decide, you’ll need to look at the individual trucks payload to determine if it is going to meet your current as well as future needs.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
Retired Army MSG!

I have not owned a Range and my current TV is old, a 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel. It has 200,014 thousand miles. My advice, is to go with a larger truck no matter what the brand. The reason I say, this, as I have personal experience, you start out with a small camper and you will possibly decide in a couple of years or so you want a larger camper and will need a larger truck. I went from pop up, to TT, and on my 3rd 5ver since the travel trailer. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for and that you have many happy and safe travels.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #8

I agree, get a bigger truck. A full tank of gas is over 200# of your payload.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #9

Ford Ranger with HD Tow package (53R) is rated to tow a maximum of 7500 pounds. Unless Tow/Haul is available and there's the factory round 7-pole trailer connector on the back of the truck you don't have it and your tow limit is 3500 pounds.

As I'm sure was pointed out above trailer "dry weight" is meaningless to the point of being fiction. GVWR (fully loaded weight) is all that counts.

My personal "happy towing" rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule that states the tow vehicle must have 2000 pounds more towing capacity than the trailer. This accounts for passengers in the tow vehicle, high summer temperatures, and steep grades. For this vehicle that would limit me to 5500 pounds.

For lurkers the time to ask these questions is before buying a truck or trailer...

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #10

Thank you all for responding. I researched the Ranger pretty heavily. The Lariat 4x4 version has a standard payload of 1,560. I’m adding the technology package which I know will affect the payload. So I’ll have to wait until the truck hits the lot to confirm the number. I also know that your payload includes a full tank of gas. So filling the tank would NOT drop the payload but I’m glad you brought that up. Ford used to include a 150 pound driver but that was removed. As some have mentioned, you need to keep some “fluff” in the amount of towing capacity. I am getting the tow package so the rating is 7,500 pounds. The max gross weight of the trailers I’m considering are roughly 5,000 pounds, or less, so I have room. I agree that you should always “buy up” but in this case I do not see the need, nor need the extra capabilities of a half ton. I do understand that many people upgrade their TT over the years. That’s something I’ll need to consider. I’ll have to put more thought into it. Affording the Ranger and TT would allow me to start enjoying camping right away. Waiting to buy a $20k more expensive truck would require me to wait a year or two. There’s just so darn much to consider!! Thank you all. Andy
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

A couple of your statements are incorrect.
First, there is no standard payload number. It is almost always unique to each vehicle.
Second, payload capacity had never differentiated the driver from the number. Payload considers the driver as one of the Occupants. So when the sticker says "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs", the driver weight has to be added with the other passengers.
It's the towing capacity number that separates the driver's weight out, usually 150lb.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #12

I decided to wait and tailor the tow vehicle to the trailer.

First attempt at buying a camper had the dealer void the sale the day after I "purchased" the small popup. She said I had nothing that would safely tow it and even with a waiver she'd not sell it to me. Claimed her sales staff was out of line.

Soooooooo, I shopped tow vehicles capable of towing what we wanted and my first choice Ford Escape would handle the 3000 pound popup trailer but bumping up to the next bigger Explorer with HD Tow met my One Ton Rule with excess capacity so we bought a much bigger popup. The best part of the story was the Explorer was also able to handle the bigger hybrid after we tired of the limited facilities in the popup. Sent the Explorer off to college with my daughter and bought an Expedition with 9300 pounds towing capacity.

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

Payload

Perhaps I mistakenly said it incorrectly. If you order a SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat as it comes, with no options, the ďstandard/expectedĒ payload is 1,560. Once additional after market items, options, or packages are added, the payload will decrease. But there is, in fact, a payload assigned to a specific model. And while I have never owned a Ford, I know that other manufacturers include a 150 pound driver. I just looked at the owners manual of my Honda Minivan and the payload number does not include a full tank of gas, other liquids (windshield wiper fluid, oil) AND a 150 pound driver. Jeep, in previous models, also did not include the weight of a 150 pound driver. Jeep customer care said this was recently changed as my 2021 Jeep GC requires me to deduct my weight from the payload. So different companies must do things differently. But thatís important to review and see what affects the payload number. Andy
Old 07-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullap View Post
Perhaps I mistakenly said it incorrectly. If you order a SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat as it comes, with no options, the ďstandard/expectedĒ payload is 1,560. Once additional after market items, options, or packages are added, the payload will decrease. But there is, in fact, a payload assigned to a specific model. And while I have never owned a Ford, I know that other manufacturers include a 150 pound driver. I just looked at the owners manual of my Honda Minivan and the payload number does not include a full tank of gas, other liquids (windshield wiper fluid, oil) AND a 150 pound driver. Jeep, in previous models, also did not include the weight of a 150 pound driver. Jeep customer care said this was recently changed as my 2021 Jeep GC requires me to deduct my weight from the payload. So different companies must do things differently. But thatís important to review and see what affects the payload number. Andy
I think a Ranger would be perfect for you and your family. And it should be good to tow a 5,000 lbs loaded trailer. Figure 600-700 lbs of hitch weight. You'll be close to limits, but that's ok. Have you picked a trailer you like?
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #15

Trailer

Corn - We are looking at the Salem 178BHSKX. It offers double over double bunks, so the kids have separate sleeping areas and could even bring a friend along. It also has a u-shaped dinette so our family of four could fit around the table. I like the Murphy bed as it allows a couch and extra seating when not in the sleeping position. It checked a lot of the boxes for our family. It has a decent sized fridge for a trailer this size as well. A fully loaded model is still less than 5,000# so I believe I have enough wiggle room. Talking to other folks that own this model, I should not exceed the 770# tongue weight so Iím confident the Ranger will handle this model confidently. Thanks! Andy
Old 07-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullap View Post
Corn - We are looking at the Salem 178BHSKX. It offers double over double bunks, so the kids have separate sleeping areas and could even bring a friend along. It also has a u-shaped dinette so our family of four could fit around the table. I like the Murphy bed as it allows a couch and extra seating when not in the sleeping position. It checked a lot of the boxes for our family. It has a decent sized fridge for a trailer this size as well. A fully loaded model is still less than 5,000# so I believe I have enough wiggle room. Talking to other folks that own this model, I should not exceed the 770# tongue weight so Iím confident the Ranger will handle this model confidently. Thanks! Andy
Looks like a fine combo to me. Just be careful and don't get carried away with firewood, generator, gas, bikes, boats, etc.. in the bed of the truck.
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #17

The 178BHSKX looks like a pretty nice camper. Good luck with it!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #18

McMullap,

FWIW:
I selected the F150 XLT crew/short bed as it JUST fits in our garage. I brought a test drive from the dealer to verify. Well also, the Ranger wasn't available yet.
Payload is 1862. Max Tow, 36 gallon tank. I get 22-25 commuting, 9 towing.
I have the opposing view that cloth seats are better. I selected the crew over the super cab because I can change clothes in the back easier and stand up (well bent over at waist) to pull up pants.
Price differential would be a sticking point here also, but as other(s) pointed out, the kids will grow and appreciate the extra room. (you might too if they aren't getting along).
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #19

Thank you. I think itís a nice family camper that will provide us with a lot of great memories.

Corn - As you said, we do not intend to bring or haul a bunch of stuff with us. I intend to load up the camper and tow vehicle with the minimum and hit the scales to see what kind of wiggle room I have remaining. I do not anticipate much Boondocking, and if we did, it would only be a few nights. My wife is not the outdoor type so she prefers a full hookup site. I think as we grow more comfortable camping, weíll try different things. And obviously weigh everything as we add additional luggage/junk/etc. Thanks! Andy
Old 07-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #20

Ford Ranger Towing my 2 cents

Tow 18RJBBL wolf pup, you need brake controller and WDH.

Why Ranger, good tow capacity, [gas is +$3.00, better mileage not towing]

I’m using 4 wire aftermarket [ the trailer does not emergency brake]
Turn off computer stuff, lane assist, cruise control etc. Retired truck driver do not need computer BS. to tell me how to stop.

18 ft long, 10 ft high , 4500 lbs with gear, a big wind sail.
I use Blue Ox Sway Pro with750 lb bars, lust put axle shock absorbers on trailer.

Ranger 2020xl, 10 speed, 4wd, supercab, tow package, locker. 16 in Bridgestone Duelers.
Break-in engine and change oil before towing and use your choice of full synethnic oil. I choose Amsoil.

Inflate tires 65 psi trailer, truck 38\40 psi, use tow mode and adjust your controller so it stops smoothly. We towed into 20 mph headwind and got 12.5 mpg, truck tows it 60 mph beautifully. No mods but used 93 octane, ugh!

If your going +5000 lbs, +25 ft get out wallet and buy an F-150

Forum app rotated photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8AE0D23-7D68-4194-B3A7-2D8403ACF6F9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	258801   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D507F01-23D2-421D-8044-68668FA9D3CC.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	258802   Click image for larger version