Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I was just going to ask some questions here, and seems like already a good bit of info .. My Stepson just informed us they wanted to buy and RV and tow it with their 2011 grand cherokee OVerland. Seems like it has a 5K tow limit, I think 1700 Payload. I need to research the tonque limit.

I was telling him that seat'a of the pants numbers to look for a 3.5 to 4K Loaded camper max. Most of their trips will be realtively flat ground to the beach or some minor rolling hills I think it should be O.k as long as he isnt in a hurry. 20-22 foot in length or so is what Im thinking.
I would not recommend a larger trailer than a 16 footer towing via SUV. 5K lb limit means likely you’d want to stay in the 3200 max. Just got back from our first trip towing 16BHS WOLFPUP at about 3500 fully loaded and in my 2018 4Runner it was taxing the engine on slight uphills reving up to 4500 RPM @ 60 MPH and just watching the gas gauge drop in real time, avg 8-9 miles per gallon. Only on flat or slightly downhill would I be at 2500-3200 RPM. This was just me and my wife, the water tanks 2/3 full and out gear. Dry weight 3200. Yes it towed it but I’m not sure driving from Utah to CA would be a fun pull. I’m considering a truck next year. I don’t want to fell I have to limit what I pack and decide what kids can come on the trip because worried about the TV performance. I would get a truck, or stay in the 3000 lb MAX, 2500 dr weight category if you are wanting the Jeep or SUV to pull it.

The other weight addition will be your WDH hitch. +100-150 lbs
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #62

If anyone knows somebody interested in buying a lightly used Geo Pro 19FD travel trailer let me know. Its a great trailer. I've towed it with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problems ... but close to payload limits. No intention to get a truck. A conversion van or camper van may be adequate for our needs.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #63

Also as many have said as well, any vehicle may be able to drag a trailer down the road but you need to keep safely in mind. Maxing out your TV either by handling ability , tow rating or length of trailer can be a risk. Consider other drivers on the road safety not just the ability of towing your RV. Trucks have longer wheel base and heavier, you need this when towing an RV that is 2-3x the length of your TV
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunScoutGP View Post
If anyone knows somebody interested in buying a lightly used Geo Pro 19FD travel trailer let me know. Its a great trailer. I've towed it with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problems ... but close to payload limits. No intention to get a truck. A conversion van or camper van may be adequate for our needs.

I have towed the 19FD with a Jeep Cherokee as well. I towed it all the way down the east coast and back with absolutely no issues. Heck, it even braked so well that I had mine rear ended when I came to a screeching halt on the highway because of an accident up ahead. I was able to stop on a dime, the compact behind me was not.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L V8 HEMI
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
I have towed the 19FD with a Jeep Cherokee as well. I towed it all the way down the east coast and back with absolutely no issues. Heck, it even braked so well that I had mine rear ended when I came to a screeching halt on the highway because of an accident up ahead. I was able to stop on a dime, the compact behind me was not.
Not to nit-pick, but you mean Grand Cherokee? The Cherokee is a different, smaller SUV with much lower tow ratings. Just want to make sure it's clear so someone doesn't come along and get confused thinking the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee have similar capabilities.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Not to nit-pick, but you mean Grand Cherokee? The Cherokee is a different, smaller SUV with much lower tow ratings. Just want to make sure it's clear so someone doesn't come along and get confused thinking the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee have similar capabilities.

Yes, I meant Cherokee, I thought the OP did as well. Cat scale weight of 19FD loaded was 3800, Cherokee can tow 4500. Pulled like a dream, handled great, stopped...well I've already been through that.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
Yes, I meant Cherokee, I thought the OP did as well. Cat scale weight of 19FD loaded was 3800, Cherokee can tow 4500. Pulled like a dream, handled great, stopped...well I've already been through that.

Gotcha, thanks. Wasn’t sure since your profile says you have a Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #68

The 2014 Grand Cherokee with a 3.6 liter engine is rated at 6200 lb tow capacity and a 1350 lb payload. A Geo Pro 19FD should be OK. I have towed the 19FD in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin with no issues. Have kept speed under 60 mph and slowed a bit on grades to avoid downshifting.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Gotcha, thanks. Wasn’t sure since your profile says you have a Grand Cherokee.

This is true. I switched over when I got a slightly heavier toad (the 171RBXL).

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 11-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #70

Hi again. OP here. I read the first couple pages of responses and then got tied up with finding what I wanted. We ended up looking for and finding a 2015 Durango Limited with a towing package and 5.7 Hemi. We are happy so far, but will have to wait until spring now to hook up and go. Thanks all!
perrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrogie View Post
Hi again. OP here. I read the first couple pages of responses and then got tied up with finding what I wanted. We ended up looking for and finding a 2015 Durango Limited with a towing package and 5.7 Hemi. We are happy so far, but will have to wait until spring now to hook up and go. Thanks all!

Congrats! That will make a fine tow vehicle. Enjoy the hemi!
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Good choice[emoji1] . (My Durango is a 2011 and I love it - both as my tow vehicle and my daily driver). Hemi power!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #73

Quote:

Great choice! I think you'll be very happy with it. I believe the 5.7 HEMI brings the tow capacity to 7400. The 2018 with a 6.4L can do 8700!

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL