Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #21
D W

BOTTOM LINE: You're gonna need a bigger truck.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #22

I hope Lori comes back or is on the phone canceling the deal. Maybe a smaller trailer if the dealer has one on the lot. Anyone have an idea on price for installing a hitch on a unibody? I read that a pilot has a perimeter frame but no idea what that is.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
I hope Lori comes back or is on the phone canceling the deal. Maybe a smaller trailer if the dealer has one on the lot. Anyone have an idea on price for installing a hitch on a unibody? I read that a pilot has a perimeter frame but no idea what that is.
Problem is that finding a travel trailer, that will sleep 5 people, that a Pilot can tow within specs, is close to impossible.
Even a lightweight 3-bunk hybrid TT, like the Roo 183, will have a loaded tongue weight over the Pilot's max hitch weight of 500lbs:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...d-roo/183/6246
And probably would exceed the max 5000lbs number, when loaded for camping.
The only possible choice would be a popup with someone sleeping on the dinette bed.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Problem is that finding a travel trailer, that will sleep 5 people, that a Pilot can tow within specs, is close to impossible.
Even a lightweight 3-bunk hybrid TT, like the Roo 183, will have a loaded tongue weight over the Pilot's max hitch weight of 500lbs:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...d-roo/183/6246
And probably would exceed the max 5000lbs number, when loaded for camping.
The only possible choice would be a popup with someone sleeping on the dinette bed.

I think you are exactly right. I hope Lori comes back.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I would regard any assertions by a travel trailer salesperson that your tow vehicle can handle the rig they are about to sell you should be met with immediate skepticism.
This! Salesmen have one objective, and that is selling you a trailer. Years ago I got screwed by the trailer salesman. I was way overloaded.

Realize in an emergency situation, whatever the sales person told you is meaningless!

A friend of mine bought way too much trailer for his tow vehicle, based on the “expert” at Camping World. I told him: “congratulations you will be getting a new truck!” Sure enough after just one camping trip with scary towing he got a new truck.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #26

Every trailer has a weight, every vehicle has weight carrying placards also. Why is it the salesman's fault. Is he supposed to do your job for you. Our society is so ignorant and lazy.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Every trailer has a weight, every vehicle has weight carrying placards also. Why is it the salesman's fault. Is he supposed to do your job for you. Our society is so ignorant and lazy.
I don't disagree with you, but I wish that those "professionals" would help their customers understand that while their pickup might be rated to "tow 12,000 lbs!!!!"..... that doesn't mean that it can tow a 12,000lb TRAVEL TRAILER.

A 20 foot Bayliner on a two-axle trailer is a far different towing experience than an 8x12x30 foot box that weighs the same amount. A dump trailer with 3 or 4 yards of gravel is going to be a far different towing experience too.

There is more to it than weight. You absolutely don't want to exceed your weight ratings, but people also need to realize that whatever the weight is, you still need to be able to control it in a crosswind. You need to be able to control it when you need to brake hard in a curve. You need to be able to control it when a semi or bus blasts you with their bow wake.

And that might mean that you need a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle.

A 10,000lb trailer that has a 96 square foot vertical wall on the front weighs a *lot* more (in real terms - when traveling down the freeway) than a 10,000 lb trailer that carries most of its weight 2 feet above the ground. Someone who is selling trailers should know that, and has at least a moral obligation to share that knowledge with their customer.

Just my 2 cents

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:56 PM   #28

I am afraid you just bought a new tow vehicle too
emervine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #29

If you're shopping for a new tow vehicle and don't want a full size (e.g. Tahoe, Suburban Expedition), you could look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango. With the factory tow packages, then can be rated for over 7000 lb and are closer in size to your Pilot.
Jon18TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
I just bought a new Pilot last fall, and I had the dealer add the factory hitch, which included the wiring and transmission cooler. It was about $1400.00.
I use it to pull my rzr 1000 sometimes, when I am not double towing.
rodigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
5 people, 2 large dogs, 5000-6000 pound camper is going to need a full size pickup or suv and one set up for payload. Turbo v6 or diesel or V8.
I think he is approaching 3/4 Ton truck. Most 1/2 ton truck only have around 1500 lb capacity and with a empty weight off 600LB tongue he will be approaching if not exceeding 1000 lb tongue once loaded.

Dont forget with 5 people and 2 dogs you looking at a crew cab truck, possibly a cap on the bed for the dogs (unless they are really small), gear. He pushing 1/2 ton limit with just them and not even including the TT.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriLaw View Post
Hello fellow campers!
We put a down payment on a 2023 Apex 208DHS at the Hershey RV show yesterday. Now, we’re a little concerned about the weight and our ability to tow it. We have a 2020 AWD Honda Pilot. I called the dealer to find out if they can add the radiator cooler, and they can add it for around $800. However, we’re still a little concerned that we’re pushing the weight capacity. We will be taking 5 people and 2 large dogs in the car with us.
I’ve read some posts from others who tow with a Honda Pilot. Any advice? We did have the dealer include sway control to the package and I saw an earlier post from someone with a similar sized SUV who said that WDH is not recommended on their vehicle. Do other Pilot towers use that on their vehicles?
I have a 2022 Honda Passport Elite and am towing a 2018 Coleman Light LX 1605FB, which is actually 20'8". Not sure the length of your 2023 Apex 208DHS. Any thoughts. I have a Fastway e2 Weight Distribution System and it is probably with the hitch about 80 lbs.
pearlhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlhiggins View Post
I have a 2022 Honda Passport Elite and am towing a 2018 Coleman Light LX 1605FB, which is actually 20'8". Not sure the length of your 2023 Apex 208DHS. Any thoughts. I have a Fastway e2 Weight Distribution System and it is probably with the hitch about 80 lbs.
Their trailer specs were linked in post #5. It is 25ft long and has a fictional dry tongue weight of 596lbs, which is the biggest problem.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-23-2022, 09:00 AM   #34

This will most likely be you!
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #35

I have a 2021 Honda Pilot and pull a 19’ Flagstaff E-pro with transmission cooler and the equalizer hitch with sway bar. It is 3200 lbs empty weight and pulls like a dream. However maximum capacity for the pilot is 500 lb tongue weight and 5000 lb total. If you are exceeding the 5000 lb with trailer and cargo including people, you really need a higher capacity vehicle from a highway safety standpoint.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #36

Yea, don't kill your Honda Pilot -
8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #37
Site Team

Not sure if the OP will ever come back. Might be a One and Done poster. Hope they do though.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #38

Second thought, don't do it. In that set up you are risking life and limb of your family,nd anyone on the road that day and then a list of lawsuits and charges afterwards. Don't Give up, Just do some research first. Pay someone to haul it for you if you are just going to park it at a campground.
8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #39

You'll be overweight. I have a 2015 Pilot EX 4WD that's rated for 4500 pounds with 2 people, and with our new Wolf Pup 14CC you know it's back there all right. With a UVW of 4260 lbs, you're already over the limits of your 2020 Pilot with 5 people; the towing limit is not 5000, it's 4250 pounds with 5 people. That unloaded weight rating is with NOTHING on board; NO camping gear, NO water in the tanks, not even gas in the propane tank. That Apex 208BHS has two propane tanks, so right there you'll have to add another 30 pounds just for propane. You'll still have clothes, luggage, food, pots and pans, appliances, your two dogs... Yes, you'll be significantly overweight. Even if you don't damage your vehicle outright, you won't like having to go up hills or merge onto highways at all, and your drivetrain won't last long.
dsherman26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing