Old 01-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

toys

Anybody have experience with the FREEDOM HAULER trailers that attach to travel trailer?
blucat1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Idaho Tote was a popular for these for a while. I also saw a few home built solutions. There was even a poster here who was very proud of his homemade tote and then later posted about a buckled frame up near the axles; it's not possible to prove that it was caused by his tote but the manufacturer denied the warranty claim.

I'd be curious how Freedom Haulers handles dips in the road. I've had times where the rear of my trailer drug and have a hard time understanding how this fixed connection would flex with it.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Idaho Tote was a popular for these for a while. I also saw a few home built solutions. There was even a poster here who was very proud of his homemade tote and then later posted about a buckled frame up near the axles; it's not possible to prove that it was caused by his tote but the manufacturer denied the warranty claim.

I'd be curious how Freedom Haulers handles dips in the road. I've had times where the rear of my trailer drug and have a hard time understanding how this fixed connection would flex with it.
I looked at a video that seemed to show that it connects to the trailer frame with a heim joint type of connection. This would make it more or less rigid in the horizontal (steering) plane, but free to move in the vertical (up/down) direction.

I haven't seen one in person, so I might be off-base, but that is the only way I could see something like that working without snapping the trailer frame passing over a driveway dip, or lifting the tote completely off of the ground on a railroad crossing (and snapping the frame).

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

These connect with 2 receiver connectors which allow the trailing unit to move up and down freely but keep it straight behind the trailer. The wheels are casters so they can pivot when turning.

I have never used one, I know of one couple who have a similar unit behind their 5th wheel and they are quite happy with it.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote