Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

TPMS Question

So I am considering purchasing a TPMS system for my travel setup... I was curious how others have gone about it.
My truck has an internal TPMS, however, I am in the process of upgrading to E rated tires. Will the internal system do an effective job of monitoring them? I don't like the idea of having to scroll through my features to pull up the tire pressures- I prefer to travel with the Trans Temp displayed so that I can monitor that. Also, the alarm does not currently go off until I am at 27psi... far below what I will be towing at. So I feel like a separate TPMS would be better way to monitor them.

Now, if I buy one why does it seem that they come with only four or six sensors? Or of course, I found one system that comes with ten!I feel like it shouldn't be that uncommon for a system to come with 8 sensors... Or am I the only one with four tires on my truck and four on my trailer??? Or are we just expected to do the trailer and two rear tires?

I see in other threads TST is "THE" brand to have and everyone just loves them. Does anyone have experience with other brands just for comparison?

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Just my thoughts...Many new trucks are coming with TPMS built in and I believe all SUV's have them. That may explain why basic set-up is 4 sensors. If you have a blow out on your truck you are going to know it and the chances are far lower since you are running a better tire than a ST tire. On the trailer, by time you realize it or someone comes up next to you pointing to the trailer you more than likely have substantial damage to the side of the trailer. I have TST and am happy. TireMinder and Tire Trakker? will do the same job but have not heard many stories about "Great customer service" like I have with TST.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Maybe you can reprogram your truck TPMS? I reprogrammed mine on my 2500. The TST507 monitors up to 22 tires I think if that's the route you want to go.

If you go with E rated tires, what PSI do you intend to run? What size are your tires?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

I've asked about reprogramming but the dealers have looked at me blankly...

I'm thinking I may run 40psi day to day and 60psi towing. Not sure yet exactly on the psi- that will likely be my next post

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Yeah that’s a sensitive subject. Just having thicker sidewalks will help. I run about 60 front, 50 rear towing our TT. That’s using load and inflation tables and scale weights. Some will agree, some will say I’ll have a blowout but I get nice even wear.

I went aftermarket to reprogram my TPMS, dealer software isn’t allowed to change it for Ram.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #6

Duplicate post for some reason
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Even if you do go to a separate system for the truck tires, you may not be able to turn off the truck's built-in TPMS system.

I don't know this for sure...just speculating.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Maybe you can reprogram your truck TPMS? I reprogrammed mine on my 2500. The TST507 monitors up to 22 tires I think if that's the route you want to go.

If you go with E rated tires, what PSI do you intend to run? What size are your tires?
The TST system is great for anyone that owns more than one trailer. The monitor can be programmed to monitor several trailers, each with their own sensors. Hook up to the Travel Trailer, use the number programmed for that trailer, including warning pressures/temps. Change to the boat or utility trailer, use their unique ID number and again the monitor now uses the set warnings for those sensors.

Not the cheapest system on the market but it's designed to monitor and protect tires that cost way more than those we use on travel trailers. For us it's getting sufficient warning to prevent damage to the trailer rather than just tire alone. A $50-$100 tire is nothing compared to damage that can be measured up to the thousands.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

I have the 507 and while it may work for multiple trailers, the PSI settings must be the same for both. So I decided to try something cheaper/simpler and love it - it's solar so there are no wires.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078R...mob_b_pd_title
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I have the 507 and while it may work for multiple trailers, the PSI settings must be the same for both. So I decided to try something cheaper/simpler and love it - it's solar so there are no wires.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078R...mob_b_pd_title
Just bought the same. Will see how well it works next weekend. The drive from storage to home seemed to work fine.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

I have a TireMinder A1A and am very satisfied...a it saved me more than once. It is strange that GMC puts a TPMS on the 2500's and below....but not the 3500, which I happen to own. So, I needed 8 sensors for my truck and trailer. The nice thing is that I can see all 8 tires...pressure and temperature...in one place all the time and the TireMinder unit is very sensitive so it alerts you quickly if any tire starts to leak....before it is below set thresholds and ready to have a catastrophic failure. Here is my story I posted last summer...of a real incident:

My original posting from June 2018...

FYI....Be maniacal about checking tire pressure and invest in a TPMS system if you have not already.
This past week, two incidents proved that a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) investment is worth every penny.
Coming back from a long trip on Memorial day, my caravan friends, who did not have a TPMS on their 5th wheel toy hauler, lost pressure in a rear tire which became overheated and eventually blew on the interstate. The damage the blown tire caused to their meticulously maintained RV added up to $3000 in body work. I hear this is typical...and often at the low end of cost for damage when a tire blows. My buddy has talked about investing in TPMS...but chose not to spend the $. The insurance deductible alone for the damage was $500. Lesson learned.
A few days later, I was back on the interstate headed for a camping trip to the lake with my 5th wheel toy hauler. I have invested in a TPMS....and am so glad I did. At 65mph....all of a sudden the display on my TPM system flashed red and displayed that my right rear tire on the trailer was "leaking". I was impressed that it alerted me when the tire pressure was down only by 2 pounds...and I could see on the display the rate at which it was deflating. This gave me sufficient time to exit the highway, park in a safe place...and not suffer any damage to my RV....let alone save the tire which picked up a screw.
This device is worth its weight in gold....and I highly recommend it to anyone pulling a trailer of any kind. You will never know you a have a problem until it is too late without it.
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
Chief tinkerer

TST internal ( band mounted) on the 6 truck wheels and cap style screw-on on the toad. Used to use a tow dolly with TST internal and it alarmed and I had time to get to the shoulder and was slowing to a stop when the bead broke. Road debris had cut the tire, but there was no drama. Changed the wheel and we were on our way. The Peace of mind is priceless. Folks at TST are great to work with.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #13

All OEM tpms sensors can be reprogrammed. They have to be programmed when a tech replaces one. Some vehicles allow you (the owner) to have the sensors relearn a correct pressure, some require you to use a specific adjusting computer, usually only available via a dealer.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms