Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer connection status

Hey everyone, I’ve been having a wiring issue between my TV (2014 Chevy Silverado 1500) and my TT (2011 Coachmen 28DDS). My issue is that I keep receiving notification pop ups on my trucks dash (“check trailer wiring” usually immediately followed by “trailer connected”, but sometimes it may take time for the “trailer connected” notification to appear again). My truck has manufactured Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC).

The TV lights (turn signals, brake lights, camper lights when TV lights are on) all continue to function properly even when these notifications come on and off.

Also, the notifications occur sporadically; sometimes popping up 20 times in a minute when I’m driving or other times not popping up for 5 minutes or so.

My major concern is that when the “check trailer wiring” pop occurs and is not immediately followed by “trailer connected” my trailer brakes don’t work. I know this because when I adjust the trailer brake gain on the ITBC the brake gain is grayed out and isn’t working or when I manually adjust the brakes stopped the TT doesn’t stop the TV like when the TV brakes are properly functioning.

I initially suspected the issue was due to a ground wire being unplugged near one of the TV brakes from a 3M schotchlok 314 3 wire connector. I replaced all the connectors as they looked pretty rough. However, I continue to have the same initial issue. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’m thinking I may have a short in a wire in the underbelly I can’t see.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	203794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	203795
TT: 2011 Coachmen 28DDS
GreenHorn Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

You might try taking a small pick or screwdriver and "closing up" the connections on the 7-way plug. They're just metal blades that tend to flatten out and can make intermittent contact with the connector on the truck. All you're trying to do is close the gap in each of the connectors so they make better contact on the other connector.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

I read something recently about the same issue. Seems the problem was under the TV in a wiring connector. Corrosion??? I will try to find.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Here is one

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6538/check-tra...-chevrolet-gmc
Old 05-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

May be this

Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #6

Update, I’ve replaced the trailer plug on the RV and I’m still having the issue. I even pulled the TV with my father in laws truck. He has an ITBC system and we still had the intermittent issues. I’m at my wits end. I assume the only thing it could be is a loose or corroded ground under the camper which I can’t easily access. Any other thoughts?
TT: 2011 Coachmen 28DDS
GreenHorn Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

More. Than likely the built in brake control switch failure or the module for the controller that is under the spare could also be bad / going bad. That is a sign for either of those two issues in the chevy.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #8

Since it does the same with both trucks, you pretty clearly have a problem in your trailer brake wiring. There is a junction box at the front of the trailer, where the plug from the tow vehicle connects to the trailer wiring. Inspect the brake wire connections there. Often they are only made with household wire nuts, which really are not suitable for a RV. Make sure to check the brake power and ground connections both. In your second picture, I see 2 unsealed blue butt connectors. These should not be used in an area exposed to weather. They should be cut out and replaced with self sealing butt connectors. The odds are pretty good that your problem is either in the junction box or at the butt connectors. While under there, use a pliers to give a squeeze to the blue oval shaped portion of the other trailer brake connectors. There is a good chance that these steps will solve your problem.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

If both you and your father in-laws truck are showing the same problem, then you most likely have a wire issue somewhere on the trailer. What you are seeing on your truck is what I have seen on my Chevy before I finally found a pinched wire on my trailer near where it came out of the axle. You can verify your truck is okay (I doubt you have problems if both trucks act the same), by hooking up to another trailer, or a dealer has the ability to check it.

Other then that, you need to go through all the brake wiring on the trailer and find the issue.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer