Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #41

Make sure you seven prong connectors are clean and tighten the prongs too. Maybe file the connectors, it might simply be one of the prongs don't connect good.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #42

Trailer Disconnected

The way I have been able to get my 2014 F150 STX to recognize our RPod 190. After cranking is to before anything else is done hold the brake controller on until the trailer connected is displayed.
fixittwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixittwo View Post
The way I have been able to get my 2014 F150 STX to recognize our RPod 190. After cranking is to before anything else is done hold the brake controller on until the trailer connected is displayed.
Definitely sounds like a truck problem, maybe they have a software update to the truck. Good luck
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #44

My F350 does the same thing. The plug just comes loose. I put a nickel between the tab and the latch where the plug goes in. It never happens anymore
Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #45

Sounds like you solved it. I have seen many of the items above happen. Before the trucks detected the trailer lights would just flash and everyone was happy. The fancy detection is almost more trouble than its worth until your brakes dont work...I had ground issues, break wire issues, connector problems and connection corrosion on various trailers.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #46

Wire shorted

That happened to me on our last trip, turned out to be one of the wires that go into the axel for the electric brakes didnít have a rubber grommet and rubbed on the hole and shorted. I just reconnected it and wrapped it good. There will be one for each wheel
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #47

We had the same problem with our trailer. We have a Ram 2500 so I think itís something with the plug itself. We drove all over CA and NV and kept stopping to check the connection. So annoying! We have a Forest River Wildwood Xlite.
DanNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #48

Not to pile on regarding the junction box, but I just had the same issue with my Micro Light. Suddenly the controller didn't recognize that the trailer was connected. I started chasing the wires back and when I opened the junction box there were 7 or eight white wires all forced into one wire nut. At least two of them were no longer connected! I split the wires into two groups and added a jumper wire from one group to the other and that fixed the brake problem and another issue that I had been having with the 12 volt charging station.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #49

Had the same problem with my 2019 F 150. Pretty sure it was the LED lights on the trailer not producing enough resistance for the computer to pick up. Ford forums saying trailer not connected was where I got some info. (Tow Ready 20142) $25.33 with shipping solved my problem.The unit is about 4" long,plugs into truck and then your harness plugs into it. Has not done it since. Yes I went to Ford with the same results It is not the truck.There is a tech bulletin for Ford but they say it does not apply to my truck.
Rincon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #50

Trailer Disconnected
Quote:
This message may
appear when an aftermarket TBC is used even when
the trailer is connected.
-- Chuck
Old 08-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #51

Trailer not connected indicator on F150

I recently had the same issue and found that my trailer brake wiring was disconnected. All other lighting still worked as you described. When I crawled under the camper I found that it looked like something had chewed through the wiring. After repairing the message went away and brake indicator as well as function was back to normal.
JGrisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_jul View Post
Last time I took my trailer out, I got a message from my F150 that my trailer was disconnected. All the lights and break lights on the trailer are working when the trailer is hitched and plugged into the truck, but break controller doesn't recognize the trailer. I took the truck into Ford who said it wasn't a problem with the truck, however from looking online, that is pretty much Fords answer to this problem. My trailer is a Flagstaff Microlite 19FGD. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know where to start looking to fix the issue?
One thing that I do is now and again I spray a little WD40 into the plug end because when you are not plugged in, the contacts are exposed to the elements. I'm not saying this is your problem but it might be worth a shot. I have a 2018 F150 King Ranch and I have had no problems with that one, the 2015 ford I had did do what you said but I cleaned the plug and it never happened again.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #53

I had that message come on while driving on a trip. My power cord was hanging too low and was rubbing on the road. It broke two wires in half and lost the connection. Check your cord!
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #54

F150 error message

My 2017 F150 SuperCrew 3.5 Eco had an issue last year. No trailer connected I was get a brake fault error. Took a picture of it so they didn't think I was crazy because I was getting it when no trailer was connected. It would randomly pop up on dash. I have the Max Tow Package so everything is Factory installed. I probably had it back 5 or 6 times. Several times they kept if for days trying to figure it out. They started a work order with the factory to figure it out. They never really told me the fix but finally after the factory was involved it suddenly was not showing up any more. Just came back from trip to Yellowstone, no problems.

2019 FR Signature Ultra Lite 8329ss
Indy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I kept getting a message on the dash of my Silverado saying "trailer disconnected" then a few seconds later it said "trailer connected." Turns out it was a broken wire to the magnet in one of the wheels that was triggering this false "trailer disconnected" message. Might start by trying there.

I'm having that issue on my Duramax/Wildcat but thought it was the plug because it went away when I pushed the plug in further. However I've noticed less braking force lately too (had to turn up the gain some last weekend). I'm going to have to go through the wiring AGAIN! Could be my issue too. For sure wires are much too small from hitch to magnets.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #56

Had this happen to me on my way home from a trip. During the drive home, the warning center on the dash said the trailer wiring had become disconnected. Having stopped and checking, it, in fact, was still connected. everything was in working condition. Still not sure what happened.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #57

Trailer Brakes Not Working

Had the same issue with my 2015 Silverado. I was towing my 7,000 lb. RV to my RV dealer for some routine maintenance and realized I wasn't stopping as quickly as I usually did. Activated just trailer brake controller and got no braking action at all. Asked RV dealer about it and they felt it was a truck issue, but would check the trailer braking system while it was in their shop. I called the Chevy dealer and they assured me it could not be the truck, had to be the trailer. RV dealer called me a couple of days later and told me trailer brakes worked fine, so I took my truck to Chevy and asked them to check it. Surprise! they found a broken wire in the trucks trailer power connector! All fixed and ride home from rv dealer was fine.
oceanprey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, trailer