Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Trailer has no brakes or running lights but brake lights and turn signals work...

Any ideas on what the issue could be? The brake lights and turn signals work. The brakes and running lights do not. My husband replaced the socket because he thought that might be it. It's still doing the same with the new socket. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated =)
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306
poohbearntigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #2

Check the fuses for the trailer. There should be a separate fuse box for the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #3

This is most likely a grounding issue. Check the ground from the trailer, through the plug, to the truck frame. There should be almost no resistance. One or two ohms at most.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Depending on your tv it should have separate fuses for trailer in your tv fuse box.
Most late model tv have fuses for truck lighting and fuses for trailer lighting within the tv fuse box

Check tv connector for power first

Your camper should not have any fuses for brakes,turn and running lights
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Had an issue with our trailer just as we were going on trip. Brake lights worked turn signal worked. But once I put running lights on nothing worked. Put tester on vehicle and it tested ok. Must be trailer right. Wrong. It was the factory connection. On GM and I assume other trucks the factory plug gets plugged into at the back of it to the wiring harness. The plug behind the bumper (back part of plug) had a corroded ground. So tester worked because it was not pulling much power. But when running lights were turned on or brakes applied no good. Keep this in mind and
Check the back part of factory connection and also good idea to use dielectric grease on connection.

Chris
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

You really need to start at the start. Receptacle on the truck first. Check every connection with a VOM. If everything is OK there then move on to the trailer plug and repeat the process. From there move to the connection where the pig tail is wired into the trailer. Usually a 4X4 box with a bunch of wire nuts that have a habit of corroding.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willybgh
Had an issue with our trailer just as we were going on trip. Brake lights worked turn signal worked. But once I put running lights on nothing worked. Put tester on vehicle and it tested ok. Must be trailer right. Wrong. It was the factory connection. On GM and I assume other trucks the factory plug gets plugged into at the back of it to the wiring harness. The plug behind the bumper (back part of plug) had a corroded ground. So tester worked because it was not pulling much power. But when running lights were turned on or brakes applied no good. Keep this in mind and
Check the back part of factory connection and also good idea to use dielectric grease on connection.

Chris
Here is a couple of pictures of the plug. The second picture you can see the corrosion. Hope this helps.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-65114226.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	14286   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-892446325.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	14287  
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Thank you everyone! I will show my husband this thread when he gets home from work. Hoping he can fix it soon...leaving Fri morning hopefully for our first trip in this trailer. I'll let you know what the problem is...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

I had blown the fuse under the hood on my Explorer once. I had breaks but no lights. Just another option. My trailer lights fuse was located under the hood, not in the inside fuse panel.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

I don't know if you call this better or worse. Now all the lights work BUT the brakes are on all the time. The tires won'r move because the brake is on. When we unplug the trailer wire from the truck, the brakes are off. UGH...I think we may need to have it looked at....So frustrating....
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearntigger2 View Post
I don't know if you call this better or worse. Now all the lights work BUT the brakes are on all the time. The tires won'r move because the brake is on. When we unplug the trailer wire from the truck, the brakes are off. UGH...I think we may need to have it looked at....So frustrating....
Check that the emergency brake plug is in all the way. It should have a cable hooked to it going back to the tongue on the trailer. If it is missing or not fully seated the brakes will be on all the time.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #12

Had similar lighting issues with my old utility trailer. It all traced back to a bad ground, which, when repaired, solved the problems.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #13

Kind of had a similar issue with mine. All lights were working,but no brakes and the controller said there was a short. I looked in the junction box at the hitch where the trailer plug cord is marette tied to the rest of the wiring. I fooled around with those and it was better for a little while then back to the same. I'm taking them all apart now and using dielectric grease. I hope this is the problem.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes