Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer sway with V Lite

I have tried 3 hitches. Equalizer - Hensley and Andersen. Hensley worked but I did not get along with it.

Trailer - Flagstaff V Lite 30WILKS Towed by an 2013 F150 crew cab short bed.

The trailer sway is terrible.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Rich
rsmith4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #2

First things first... Is it level, and do you have enough tongue weight? The trailer should not be nose up at all. Loading and leveling are the two most important things for preventing sway. Next is tires. If you're running on P-rated tires that can contribute some. I towed with an "11 F-150 for a couple of years, but even though I was on P-rated tires I didn't have a sway issue. I was white knuckled a few times in the wind with truckers whipping by, but most of the time it was OK... but just OK.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Hi Rsmith: I also have the same trailer and now on my 3rd hitch.. I'm surprised you did not stay with the Hensley as they say they are the best and are suppose to guaranteed no sway, but I could not justify the steep price so I passed.

Here is what I'm using now, it is the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch. It works so much better I also installed The Timbren suspension enhancement system. It's not expensive I think a I paid $230 installed. I don't know how your Ford truck is for rear suspension but mine is leave spring with rubber snubbers. These are what is replaced on Chevys which are longer and when the trailer is attached to the truck the snubbers now rest on the axle to help prevent sway. This has help a bunch also.

As with any trailer you will get sway when big trucks pass not matter what. I can now tow my rig with more confidence and less effort. It's still not perfect but it works. I understand the longer the trailer the more sway is present also.

I have talked to a lot of folks on this subject and most do have some sway. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, trailer