Old 03-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #81

I have had five campers and not one has ever been over a scale, at least not while I owned them. I have no intentions of ever going over a scale, heck I dodged the scales when I was driving a commercial truck. I dodged the scales when I was empty, DOT might want to check log books. My Silverado 3500 SRW pulls my Cedar Creek like itís not even back there. I have disk brakes on camper but weighing my camper is not going to happen. To many people think we are commercial and we are not. Just my two cents
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The news reports say the trailer was hit by another driver. A trailer pushed into a fishtail could have also cause the tire blowout, especially if it whipped the TV around. Based on the direction of all the emergency services on the ramp, it appears the TV is backwards to the direction of travel, which would indicate it spun out, but I'm not familiar with the area so I don't know for sure.

Really, looking at the pictures again today, I'm just amazed they didn't lose their stinky slinky.
When you look at the video again, look at the expanded view. The skid marks start long before the TT went over the barrier. Note that the RV and TT kissed the right barrier before skidding around and the TT went over the left barrier. That would be a logical initial direction if the TT was rear ended on the left rear corner.

If there was a blow out on the TT, it could either be on the spin or when it skidded across the top of the barrier. Also note that the left rear wheel on the SUV TV was on the rim. That was one wild ride.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #83
Canadian Member

I’m really interested to learn how the trailer was able to climb over the barrier. The railing barrier is supposed to be designed to prevent that and to redirect the vehicle back towards the road without slingshotting it back across the road and without the vehicle rolling over.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Iím really interested to learn how the trailer was able to climb over the barrier. The railing barrier is supposed to be designed to prevent that and to redirect the vehicle back towards the road without slingshotting it back across the road and without the vehicle rolling over.
This is how it works for the vehicle with steering wheels, the TV. The towed vehicle's wheels can merely climb the "K-rail" (aka Jersey Barrier) and run over the top. I see semi trailers all the time with their hind ends hanging over these barriers fairly regularly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #85
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This is how it works for the vehicle with steering wheels, the TV. The towed vehicle's wheels can merely climb the "K-rail" (aka Jersey Barrier) and run over the top. I see semi trailers all the time with their hind ends hanging over these barriers fairly regularly.
Thanks. Maybe MASH should have standards for testing vehicles with trailers then.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, trailer, travel, travel trailer