Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I would try it and if too bad, slow down. You will experience in the future at some time anyway. I would start early when wind is normally lower.
The OP already completed the trip and updated us, 12 hours ago in post #34.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneco11 View Post
I am am picking up my brand new Geo Pro 19fds today and it's my first time towing a vehicle. There is a wind advisory out today (of course) 10-25 mph with gusts of 40 mph. It's all highway in NH and Mass. I have sway bars and a weight distribution hitch. I also have a new Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a towing package that helps with the swaying. The roads for the most part are good. It's a 90 min journey. Should I wait on picking it up or will I be ok?
Don't wait. I left Lake Mead Sunday morning and the entire trip north to Jackpot had winds head and cross winds 35 to 40 with gusts over that. Then in Idaho similar winds early morning. WDH no sway bars and it's a 30 ft toy hauler pulled by Ford F 150 eco max. I could feel the wind but it barely moved the truck at all. I followed many others and I could see the same result but no one pulled over. The only bad result was spending twice as much on gas as I had planned. The truck rarely got into 6th gear fighting the head winds. Don't allow wind to hold you down
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
But the problem is those wind conditions are the norm about 80% of the time in the Columbia River Valley. Just like towing across Wyoming.
I just left the Columbia river gorge, you're right strong head winds for most of it but not an issue. Lot's of trailers and semi's pulling trailers out.
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneco11 View Post
Update: I made it with no issues. Only once on a bridge did I get a good gust, but it was brief. Thanks all for the input. My hands were killing me from white knuckle driving. I loved the whole experience.
Glad you made it. For future reference, 20-30 mph is common almost everywhere on a bad day. Biggest thing is SLOW DOWN. 50 max. There is a site to get localized conditions called windy.com Register for the site before you go. Search location in upper left. Gives you forecasts for a particular location and present conditions. There is also an app.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #45

Done that too, once no worries, two other times white knuckles, clipped a semi mirror headed west just before Biggs Junction. Truck kept going, I slowed down, looked at wife, and then got off at Biggs at one of the gas stations. Didn’t see any damage of any kind but the wind was blowing so hard my eyes hurt. When we got to Bend I found paint rubbed off the rear door hand rail, that was it. Talk about lucky! I’m switching from the cheap dealer installed WD hitch with 2 anti sway bars added, to a 4 point anti sway version from Fastway. Hope it makes a difference!
LarryDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel