Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #1

Traveling With Toad Parking Lights On

First let me say that I have a toad battery trickle charge line from the motorhome.

So it's a rainy, cloudy, gloomy day here in East Texas and I was wanting to know if you travel with the toad parking lights on. Many times I turn on the parking lights in the E-450 just so I can see the dash guages.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #2

Short answer: no.

Check your state law. In Illinois, if daytime visibility is low due to atmospheric conditions, you are required to burn two headlights. Parking lights may be used in addition to the headlights, but not in lieu of them. In other words, in Illinois it is illegal to drive in poor visibility with only parking lights on. So based on that, it might be wise to check your Texas state laws if not already familiar with them.

If visibility is poor, why not just turn on the motorhome headlights, which will then light the toad taillights? That would maximize your visibility to others. It’s not like operating the headlights is going to reduce your mpg much.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Yup.......lights on for safety.
Turn ON your full lighting system. Why would you drive with parking lights ON.....
You’re driving, not parking.
Your electrical system can support your full lighting system ALL the time.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #4

I think he means when towing the toad, not when driving it.
phipps33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Short answer: no.

If visibility is poor, why not just turn on the motorhome headlights, which will then light the toad taillights?
I have aux taillights in the rear that work independently from the toad lights. I am not diode tied in. So the aux lights do work with the motorhome. I was just thinking for max visibility to others, turning on the toad lights would light the whole thing up better.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #6

Driving with only parking lights on is illegal in some states. I know someone who got a ticket for it. I would not drive my tow vehicle with only parking lights on. Shouldn't be an issue with parking lights on in the toad, although you could come across that one guy who's a real stickler and sees everything in black and white.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
I think he means when towing the toad, not when driving it.
If the toad is wired properly to the motorhome, the lights on the toad come under the direction of the motorhome just like any trailer would, so I don’t under your statement here. Sorry.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 AM   #8

Forum Members to the Rescue Again!

Wow, I had no idea that driving with just parking lights on was illegal in some states. Thanks for the head's up.

This was actually kind of hard information for me to find. And I could not find a site that put all state information in one place.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

In an abbreviated nutshell, most states follow the national standard, headlights on half and hour before sunset to half an hour after sunrise, or during special circumstances, or anytime weather, atmospheric conditions reduce visibility. It sounds like your taillights and stoplights on the toad are tied into the MH system and light up when the MH's are activated. Your idea of lighting the 'parking lights' on the toad while its attached to the MH in those conditions just so its more visible will not hurt and violates no law that I'm aware of. While it is hooked up to your MH, the headlights are not required to be on when the MH's are.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
In an abbreviated nutshell, most states follow the national standard, headlights on half and hour before sunset to half an hour after sunrise, or during special circumstances, or anytime weather, atmospheric conditions reduce visibility. It sounds like your taillights and stoplights on the toad are tied into the MH system and light up when the MH's are activated. Your idea of lighting the 'parking lights' on the toad while its attached to the MH in those conditions just so its more visible will not hurt and violates no law that I'm aware of. While it is hooked up to your MH, the headlights are not required to be on when the MH's are.
That all sounds very reasonable. I tend to treat the toad like a trailer with respect to towing laws.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
I don't know about other states, but in Alaska your headlights need to be on a half hour AFTER sunset until a half hour BEFORE sunrise.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't know about other states, but in Alaska your headlights need to be on a half hour AFTER sunset until a half hour BEFORE sunrise.
My bad - you're right.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, parking, toad, travel