Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #61

One thing no one has mentioned but with a trailer that long it is much easier to find a diesel pump that you can get in and out of without issue than a gas pump. Most of the gas stations around here would only give you one option of a pump to get to without making a disaster of the parking lot.
That being said I went the the 3500 SRW to get the HO Cummins but I am pulling a 42' fifth wheel. Don't really understand everyone's love for the ecoboosts. My work truck has one with a 10 speed and I think it is a POS.
sleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Start poking around your local Ford or Chevy dealer lots. You'll want at least 1800 lbs cargo cap.

Anyway, you'll want a 3/4 ton.

I love SLeonard's post. There are those who have towed with diesels, then there are those that like gas trucks.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #63

Truck for towing

Hi,
In my opinion you should consider a 3/4 ton diesel. We have a Coachman Adrenaline, 33ft tip to tip, toyhauler and with the ATV and loaded it's between 8 and 9 k lbs. We had a dodge 2500 crew cab short bed with the 6.4 Hemi and it towed it, but it wasn't fun. On a flat, it was fine. Get into the hills or high crosswinds, it wasn't so much fun. Traded it in on a F-250 crew cab short box with the 6.7 L powerstroke diesel and it made a world of difference. We can still feel the wind, sometimes, but it doesn't wag the truck nearly as much if at all. Don't even worry about hills, it just chugs along. We have a Reese WD hitch with a trunion bar, it works fine. Loading the trailer properly makes a big difference on how well it works. We don't even use friction sway bars anymore.
Good luck.
Jerry
jerryab9rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #64

The way i see it your border line between half ton and 3/4 ton. with that said i would go with a 3/4 ton from one of the big three.If you ever go with a bigger trailer(or heavier) your all set with a 3/4 ton.
dperky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #65
Pockets

I have no problem hauling my TT at 8000 lbs loaded. Benn over the Santa Ana's. Certainly wouldn't break any speed records going up, and with the max tow package, and with the in dash brake controller, going downhill was not an issue. I'd alternate with engine brake, TT brakes and TV/TT brakes. Enjoy
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #66

Looking 4 a truck

I Have a
2014 forest river U.L 2608ws dry 5,700 ?
solar panels ,inverter,2 T.V, 15 Gl external fresh water tank, 2 dog,s & dog toy's,
1 wife & Me and 100 Lb Generator.tool's,leveling blocks chairs,gas grill,pol's,screen porch,food drinks,im basicly at Max payload for trailer, Now truck cap or no cap nuckel head bar custom bumper,truck cargo tool box...

NOW i gave a
2000 DODGE RAM 3500 5.9 CUMMINS DIESEL DULLY..
WITH A NUCKEL HED RACK, CARGO TOOL BOX CUSTOM BUMPER & WINCH,
WHY
she's Old Black Betty
She's a reliable diesel, it's got more capability than i need,
it handles this trailer all day long and sleep's down the road,
if i get in to trouble i know this truck is going to get me out of trouble.....

go biger than you need your family lives may depend on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5394.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	677.1 KB
ID:	244442  
Old 12-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #67

Doesn’t get any better than that! Your “black beauty” is the way to go! No problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP View Post
I Have a
solar panels ,inverter,2 T.V, 15 Gl external fresh water tank, 2 dog,s & dog toy's,
1 wife & Me and 100 Lb Generator.tool's,leveling blocks chairs,gas grill,pol's,screen porch,food drinks,im basicly at Max payload for trailer, Now truck cap or no cap nuckel head bar custom bumper,truck cargo tool box...

NOW i gave a o
WHY
she's Old Black Betty

KC Forrestet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #68

Dodge 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Honestly, the only reason is the coil sprung rear. My friend has a 2500 Ram and the ride is great unless towing. Granted, he rolls 10k GTW but still.
All things said, it is a great truck and LOTS of nice little extra touches. Storage in cab is endless.
We had a 2500 Ram and we towed a 30' Cougar 5th wheel with a 20' boat behind it and it handled everything just fine. It was a diesel and didn't have coils in the rear. Leaf springs. Then we got a 30' 5th wheel toy hauler. 11,200lbs empty. It would have handles it ok but felt having duals would make it handle better in the wind. And it did. Pulled the toy hauler and the 20' boat with no trouble. Grossing 26,000 all the time.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #69

Trucks

Don't screw around, go with a 3/4 ton, EQUALIZER hitch and a diesel motor.

FYI I sent a PM as I got a little windy!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #70

Got a 30' toy hauler and pulled it for several years with a 1/2 Ram quad cab w/gas Hemi and id just fine. Several years ago time to upgrade and went with a 3/4 Ram crew cab, 6.4 Hemi, AT, and Rambox option. Loads of storage room in the pickup and more w/Rambox option. Pulled with one Harley full dresser in the garage areaortwo .. made no differnce --- pulled just fine. Coils in the read give a nice ride .. not roll ever even with the pickup box loaded w/generators/extra fuel, extra spare tire and other gear....and the 3/4 ton gives a more stable platform over the 1/2 ton Ram.
The biggest difference was noticed when junked the factory china tires on the toy hauler to Goodyear Endurance tires....very noticable improvement regarding stability and towing.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #71
KMU

Thanks to everyone for the information. I ended up buying a 2015 Silverado 2500 w/ tow package.
KMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #72

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMU View Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. I ended up buying a 2015 Silverado 2500 w/ tow package.
good choice
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #73

If it is a gasser, keep an eye on the exhaust manifold bolts. They tend to break the heads off due to the heat. Known GM problem with 6.0's and up gassers that pull heavy trailers.

Don't believe there is anything you can do to prevent other than jacking it up and getting a Cummins!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
If it is a gasser, keep an eye on the exhaust manifold bolts. They tend to break the heads off due to the heat. Known GM problem with 6.0's and up gassers that pull heavy trailers.

Don't believe there is anything you can do to prevent other than jacking it up and getting a Cummins!!

Thats the truth, I had a GMC 2500 6.0 Gasser, a good truck but a little anemeic for me but it did the job! I was a little bias coming from a diesel F350 7.3. I really liked that GMC 6.0 even if it was harsh on gas but it had the L480 4 speed transmission, 3:73 gearing...I hear the 6 speeds are better on gas.
The only thing I would recommend is replace the fuel pump in it around 150K...mine crapped out with the camper in tow and stranded me on the side of the road..fairly easy diy fix once everything was back home.

Im now onto the Cummins, but I liked those gassers too especially with all the EPA stuff nowadays...advantages in both i guess...but thats another topic. Enjoy!
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Based on the length and weight of the trailer, 3/4 ton gasser or 1 ton diesel.

Pick one of the big 3 truck makers and you'll be fine.
Wondering why a 1 ton diesel or 3/4 ton gasser? Why not a 3/4 ton diesel? Or a 1 ton gasser? We had a 2003 3/4 ton diesel with the 5.9 Cummins and that'd be all the truck he'd need to pull a 33ft tt. It pulled a 30ft toy hauler from Salt Lake to Billings Mt with no problem but since it had a hitch weight ( it was a 5th wheel) of 2400 lbs empty, we figured a 1 ton dually would handle it better so we got that to replace it. The only thing I regret was that the fuel mileage on this 1 ton isn't as good as the 3/4 was. The 5.9 had just as much staying power as this 6.7 but got better mileage.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #76

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
10k GTW is child's play for a Ram 2500 CTD. Your friend is doing something wrong or you'rre not used to being in a HD truck. More professional RV delivery people use the Ram 2500 Cummins than any other truck. By far.

They can stay under the 26k GCWR DOT number easier and they pull like a freight train. Never read or heard any of them complain about the coil springs. They just hook and go. Don't even bother with a WDH.

The leaf vs coil spring debate is mostly nonsense until we get well over 20k. And then it's only because Ram's coils aren't set up ideally. Leaf springs are cheap and easier. 18th century engineering.

Freight Trains use coil suspension and the Big Rigs don't even bother with springs, they use airbags.

Is there a limit to what they can pull? Sure, they start getting over 17,000 lbs TW and it gets a little iffy but other than that...... Not.

As to the OP, a Gen II 3.5 Ecobeast with the 10 speed transmission will pull the FACE off that trailer. Might wanna put some airbags on it and a rear stabilizer bar but there's no dire need to go to a 3/4 ton (no such thing but we'll use it for familiarity purposes) unless he wants to.

The only reason I'd consider a diesel is if I wanted an exhaust brake.

Now, you start putting a dollar limit on things and it all changes.

Good luck to the OP. Remember, it cost far more to re-do something than it does to do it right from the beginning. Invest in the right truck. Over time, it will cost less.

And remember, diesels are a PITD. I know. I own one. A Ram 2500 CTD with 22,000 miles on it. I love that truck but I wouldn't do it again for anything less that 10,000 lbs.
We had a 30ft 5th wheel toy hauler which we pulled to Mt with a 3/4 ton ( and yes there is such thing. Has been for 60 years and probably always will be) with the 5.9 Cummins. The engine handled the weight just fine but felt duals would handle higher winds better and haven't regretted that decision. Sold the toy hauler and went with a non toy hauler 5th wheel which weighs 3,000 lbs less. With the 1 ton dually with the 6.7, I can't hardly feel it back there. Amazing what 3,000 lbs less will do. We pull a single axle utility trailer behind the 5th wheel with a 2 seater 1000RZR on it but even with that behind the 5th wheel, it won't weigh as much as the toy hauler by itself. All this to say, get more pickup than you need and you'll never be sorry.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #77

Diesel engine is much heavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
Wondering why a 1 ton diesel or 3/4 ton gasser? Why not a 3/4 ton diesel? Or a 1 ton gasser? We had a 2003 3/4 ton diesel with the 5.9 Cummins and that'd be all the truck he'd need to pull a 33ft tt. It pulled a 30ft toy hauler from Salt Lake to Billings Mt with no problem but since it had a hitch weight ( it was a 5th wheel) of 2400 lbs empty, we figured a 1 ton dually would handle it better so we got that to replace it. The only thing I regret was that the fuel mileage on this 1 ton isn't as good as the 3/4 was. The 5.9 had just as much staying power as this 6.7 but got better mileage.
The Diesel engine is much heavier than a gas engine. You'll have limited payload with a 3/4 ton. You may be able to hitch a big trailer, but not able to safely load a couple of passengers and their gear and provisions into the truck.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #78

KMU, what are the specs of your 2500? Crew cab? 6 speed? 2Wd? Gear ratio? Bed size? I would like to know. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #79
KMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
KMU, what are the specs of your 2500? Crew cab? 6 speed? 2Wd? Gear ratio? Bed size? I would like to know. Jay

Crew cab, 4wd, bed is 6.5 I believe
KMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP View Post
I Have a

NOW i gave a
WHY
she's Old Black Betty

The only thing I don't and never have liked about the older Dodge diesels is the noise. They are really loud and they clatter something terrible. We got a 2003 Dodge 5.9 which was the first production year for the quieter models and it pulled like a freight train. We bought a 30 ft 5th wheel toy hauler and were pulling a 4,000 lb boat behind it. It pulled it ok but the cross winds were just too much for it with singles on the back. We have since sold both the camper and boat and have bought a 3,000 lb lighter camper and just tow our 1000RZR on an 800 lb trailer. We bought a dually to pull the toy hauler and now since we don't have the toy hauler, I kind of wish we had the 5.9 again. It'd be just fine for the load were pulling now but I really like the dually as I put an aluminum flat bed on it with a set of big tool boxes under the bed, one on each side. And now, since it is a dually, cross winds don't bother it at all unless they're over 50 mph. Then we just park it till they die down. The 6.7 doesn't have any more power than the 5.9 did but the cab is more roomy and I like the exhaust brake. But I wish I could have found a 6 speed manual. They are hard to come by any more since there are so many pickup owners who don't know how to use a clutch.

Tags
towing, truck