Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
I just need to justify the number of towing days and the fact that 90% of my towing will be FL GA AL Tenn and SC ... we should avg 60-70 days camping a year ... I checked bed height and only about 1 inch higher than my 1500 .... I will keep ya'll updated
Since you are in states that have lots of hills, I think its a no-brainer that you should get diesel. YOu go up one mountain road without diesel and you will wish you had it!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #62
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 21
Congrats on your truck! And I might add, they are not just "boy" toys!! Got my first 3500 Cummins in 2000 and wouldn't tow with anything else.
An added bonus on my 2014 at delivery, was a set of levelers on the front springs. Looks nice when not towing. And if you haven't joined yet, check out Turbo Diesel Register. Tons of knowledge. I've been a member since 2001. The forum has been a huge help over the years.
Enjoy it!

Jenny
__________________
Jen Solomon
Retired with not enough time on my hands
2013 Crusader 260RLD, towed by 2014 Ram Laramie 3500
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Since you are in states that have lots of hills, I think its a no-brainer that you should get diesel. YOu go up one mountain road without diesel and you will wish you had it!
I run up and down the mountains all the time and never wished for a diesel. seems the gasser's do great heading up the IKE pass . of course if your towing a 15,000 lbs trailer then that's another story . but 10,000 and under no need for diesel . then there's the in between 10 top 15 the new gasser's fill that void so it would be a toss up one way or the other .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
YOu go up one mountain road without diesel and you will wish you had it!
x1000. I love the diesel for both going up and down the mountains. The torque (and at low RPM) and exhaust brake just make for better towing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I run up and down the mountains all the time and never wished for a diesel. seems the gasser's do great heading up the IKE pass . of course if your towing a 15,000 lbs trailer then that's another story . but 10,000 and under no need for diesel . then there's the in between 10 top 15 the new gasser's fill that void so it would be a toss up one way or the other .
Hopefully this isn't the start of the rain on this parade.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Summit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Central Upstate NY
Posts: 143
There are often incentives that most folks are not aware of (i.e., First Responder, employment/retirement, etc.). If the salesman is on the ball, he will do as ours did and bring out the book showing all the available discounts, rebates, etc.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
x1000. I love the diesel for both going up and down the mountains. The torque (and at low RPM) and exhaust brake just make for better towing IMO.



Hopefully this isn't the start of the rain on this parade.
Of course not it's just a dumb belief that diesel is the only way to go . really depends on what you're towing and the use for the truck .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Of course not it's just a dumb belief that diesel is the only way to go . really depends on what you're towing and the use for the truck .
It's not the only way to go, just the better way to go

Edit: typo!
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
It's on the only way to go, just the better way to go
:trink 39:
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
Okay ... when I was towing my 5ver with my 1500 it did a good job ... had it up in Tenn and the tow haul mode did a great job with braking and most rpms I saw was 3800-4000 ... in Fl much better ... gas mileage was 8-10 and range after a fill up was 212 miles .... I could have made it work in Fl .... we are new to camping and went in not sure what to expect well we love it .... so now ... Cindy is a planner and has a idea she may want a 5ver with a bed slide and we were already over payload about 200-300 lbs (see laughing man next to my new payload in my signature) I told here several months ago we need a bigger truck .... 2 weeks ago she says go find a truck .... so here we are I told her the truck we get will pull 80% of what ever we would want in a new 5th wheel ... as for gas/diesel no worries they both work pick one and go camping
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
Hitch went in this am ... hooked up went around the block checked level I will drop hitch one notch and it will be level ... had over 8 inches bed rail clearance so one notch good to go .... I was worried about taller truck glad that is done .... test pull Friday afternoon with Cindy and the pups ... will stop by cat scales
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Side steps get here Wed (can put Cindy's step stool back in house)... rear well liners Tuesday ... hitch goes back in Wed am .... ... magnetic diesel/def caps next week .... bed topper any day now .... fingers crossed for set up need rear end to drop 1 1/2 to 2 inches when Rockwood hits the hitch pin weight about 1600 lbs anybody got a guess?? test pull to Cat scales Fri afternoon
I bought the magnetic fuel cap for my new '19 RAM. It is better than nothing, but with the raised ridge that runs down the inside of the filler neck, it really doesn't seal the filler. I am going to buy the mopar oem that looks like a cap that snaps on the filler top. Just need to see if my local dealer has one, or can order one without paying for shipping. So far everyone online shipping charge is almost the same cost of the cap.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
There are often incentives that most folks are not aware of (i.e., First Responder, employment/retirement, etc.). If the salesman is on the ball, he will do as ours did and bring out the book showing all the available discounts, rebates, etc.
I got an additional $1000 off by producing a photo copy of my Honda registration ... who would have thought
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I bought the magnetic fuel cap for my new '19 RAM. It is better than nothing, but with the raised ridge that runs down the inside of the filler neck, it really doesn't seal the filler. I am going to buy the mopar oem that looks like a cap that snaps on the filler top. Just need to see if my local dealer has one, or can order one without paying for shipping. So far everyone online shipping charge is almost the same cost of the cap.
I will see when they get here they were cheap $9 for te pair ... might do the same thing please post if you get the oem and like it ... Thanks
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
I got an additional $1000 off by producing a photo copy of my Honda registration ... who would have thought
Similar to when we bought ours - because we had a truck currently... I'm pretty sure they have a few 'fill in the blank' rebates they can pull out when needed.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
Topper is on looks great (small corner broke I will fix and get some $ off from retailer) always something no worries ... lowered hitch 1 notch ... first tow later down to Cat scales ... can not wait to get new #'s ... pic's later ... Thanks for all the comments
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.