Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

True definition of GCWR

I have searched for the answer here and did not find anything significant so I am starting this thread.

I found this statement on how things work:

"It's important to remember that the GCWR is not an actual measurement of the weight of a tow vehicle and a trailer, but rather the combined maximum weight limit that the manufacturer has set for the two vehicles once attached."

However I have read in multiple locations that it is the actual total weight of the Truck and Trailer. Ford is not real clear on the GCWR. What I am seeing is GCWR is a max rating and CVW is actual weight at a scale.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

True definition of GCWR

GCWR = Gross Combined Weight RATING. It’s not what the combination weighs because the vehicle manufacturer has no idea what you’re going to tow and everyone tows something different. As such, the GCWR is the maximum allowed combined weight of the truck and trailer.

GCW is gross combined weight which is what the truck and trailer weigh when put on a scale. GCW must not exceed GCWR.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Ironically I'm headed to the scales now to get the total, front and rear weights for a suspension upgrade.

Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
GCWR = Gross Combined Weight RATING. It’s not what the combination weighs because the vehicle manufacturer has no idea what you’re going to tow and everyone tows something different. As such, the GCWR is the maximum allowed combined weight of the truck and trailer.

GCW is gross combined weight which is what the truck and trailer weigh when put on a scale. GCW must not exceed GCWR.
Correct.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

the R at the end stands for rating. you actual weight should not exceed the weight rating.

and don't stop there

there are also:
FAWR - front axle weight rating
RAWR - rear axle weight rating
AWR - trailer axle weight rating
payload weight rating - the amount of payload the truck can carry
hitch rating - the amount that the hitch can tow

then of course there are tires but we won;t go into them.

you get the picture
Old 06-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks for all your input. I must confess I had a senior moment. For some dumb reason I was thinking if I got pulled over they would look at the GVWR of the truck and GVWR of the trailer, add them together to get the GCWR and I would be over weight lol
Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
Thanks for all your input. I must confess I had a senior moment. For some dumb reason I was thinking if I got pulled over they would look at the GVWR of the truck and GVWR of the trailer, add them together to get the GCWR and I would be over weight lol
Not sure about other states, but in PA they don't check recreational vehicles. There was a law change a few years ago. I believe before that they still checked very little.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
I could be wrong but I don’t think you need to worry about being pulled over by the weight police. Maybe in California but not anywhere else. Now if you are running a commercial setup, then yes.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I could be wrong but I don’t think you need to worry about being pulled over by the weight police. Maybe in California but not anywhere else. Now if you are running a commercial setup, then yes.
I think in BC they may look at you if you have a truck camper in a half ton or smaller, or if your bumper is dragging on the pavement.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
jkoenig24

The truck MANUFACTURER determines the weight ratings for their products. Generally, those weight ratings are "set in stone" BUT, certain "rebuilders" can get certified to raise / alter the OEM's placard numbers (lowering the numbers should be less of a problem than raising them). Changing the original placarded numbers requires the placement of a new placard. For RVs, the RV builder decides what weight ratings they want their RVs to have and, buy the appropriately rated cab/chassis. RV builders then need to keep their build within the manufactures' numbers. It can be a tricky balancing act.

RV buyers SHOULD "run the numbers" BEFORE they buy and, remember to allow for a GOOD safety margin. MANY RVs have abysmal capacity left over once the owner loads the RV up. At best, operating an RV that's overweight will shorten the life of an RV. At worst, it is a disaster waiting to happen.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
I could be wrong but I don’t think you need to worry about being pulled over by the weight police. Maybe in California but not anywhere else.
And on this Forum, of course!!!
Old 06-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Like other laws in CA they are complex. Any truck over 3000 unladen weight is licensed commercial, unless it has a camper attached then it can be licensed non commercial (not automatically), trucks with a GVWR over 10k with any bed type other than a pickup must go through roadside scales with the big rigs, put on a pickup bed or camper no scales. Pickup with fifth wheel must register commercially because no camper bolted on. If a truck is required to go through the scales it is also subject to inspection.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #13
jkoenig24

Quote:
UNLESS, the poster is involved in a MVA with SPI, a fatality or a Commercial motor vehicle. Should any of those occur, don't be surprised if an investigator calls in a "Scales Unit" as part of a THOROUGH investigation. If such an investigation determines ANY of the involved vehicle are in violation of ANY statute, the driver of said vehicle is likely to find themself in a world of hurt and, that would be BEFORE the Civil Suits begin.

Bottom line; OBEY THE LAW! Ignore the law at your own peril.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

Please show the text of the law you are referring to so all can read it.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #15

For the record my truck's GCWR is 23,100#s. With my toy Hauler fully loaded including the SxS, my GCW is 21,700#s per the CAT scales.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Like other laws in CA they are complex. Any truck over 3000 unladen weight is licensed commercial, unless it has a camper attached then it can be licensed non commercial (not automatically), trucks with a GVWR over 10k with any bed type other than a pickup must go through roadside scales with the big rigs, put on a pickup bed or camper no scales. Pickup with fifth wheel must register commercially because no camper bolted on. If a truck is required to go through the scales it is also subject to inspection.
California DMV will classify a pickup with a camper as a "housecar" and assign passenger vehicle plates to it.
The housecar definition will save the owner from paying weight fees.
You must sign a DMV document promising to never remove the camper from the bed. Once it is an open bed, the pickup must be registered as a commercial vehicle and pay weight fees.
You see a lot of California open bed pickups violating this law
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #17

[QUOTE=upflying;2351523]California DMV will classify a pickup with a camper as a "housecar" and assign passenger vehicle plates to it.
You must sign a DMV document promising to never remove the camper from the bed. Once it is an open bed, the pickup must be registered as a commercial vehicle and pay weight fees.

sounds like what I said above?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

double post
Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #19

[QUOTE=aircommuter;2351572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
California DMV will classify a pickup with a camper as a "housecar" and assign passenger vehicle plates to it.

sounds like what I said above?
I think I expanded and clarified what you said.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #20

In addition to what others have said the GCWR as set by the manufacturer takes into consideration more than just the ability to support the weight. They also consider the ability of the powertrain to pull the load without breaking and the ability of braking systems to provide emergency stopping power should trailer brakes fail.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote