Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
You can add at least ~125# to the published hitch weight to account for two full propane tanks, 12v battery and weight of the hitch. Lightly loaded with near empty tanks will get you to 900# hitch weight.
My actual hitch weight ready for camping lightly loaded for 274dbh is 825 pounds. Which is why I traded my Yukon denali for a f250 the Yukon towed with no problem but I had no capacity left with two people in the truck.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #22

MILover, I feel your pain. I had a Tundra that I absolutely loved and pulled my trailer just fine. Then I started to crunch the numbers, and I was way overweight on every trip unless it was only my wife and I and the truck bed was absolutely empty. The bed was never absolutely empty, and yours won't be either no matter how much you promise now. Lawn chairs don't weigh too much, just put them in the bed. I need a tool box and (for this trip only) an extra spare tire for the trailer, and on and on.

A bike rack on the rear of the trailer can be a problem unless it is set up properly for it, and don't plan on lightening up your tongue weight too much or you trailer will fishtail. Figure about 12% of your gross weight for the tongue weight.

I really don't want to be a wet blanket, but please check your numbers carefully and if you are set on keeping the Tundra, match it with the right trailer. Once you spend the money, it's very expensive to make the change. Good luck! Oh, I forgot. I sucked it up and traded the Tundra for a Chevy 2500HD and could not believe the difference in towing.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #23
Newly Retired

The Toyota tundra is a very sturdy and capable truck. I believe it's numbers are on the conservative side. We pulled a 32 foot travel trailer 600 miles and I was quite impressed with it.
When compared to a half ton truck of any brand I would bet on the Toyota.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #24

I concur with the earlier statement, that you have answered your own question. With a reasonably light trailer, figure you will load it to gross, most of the time. You're at safe stable best, with about 15% or a bit more of gross on the hitch. Then add a good WDH at 90 to 100 lbs. What's left for passengers and the Stuff, that always creeks up filling the space in that truck bed. My bet is too much load for the truck. Best of luck, but try hard not to rationalize yourself in to an unsafe, unhappy situation.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
When looking for our rig, I ran into the same concerns. Seemed to me that the brochure weights were unrealistic and tongue weights were all at around 10% of some published low number. My research led me to believe that most tongue weights were more than 10% and there were lots of recommendations for targeting 15% to minimize chances for sway.
In order to be able to compare apples to apples on different trailers relative to weight, I decided to base all decisions on trailer GVWR - the max the manufacturer said the loaded trailer could legally weigh. I then determined tongue weight at 15% of the GVWR. I figured that if I could handle 15% of GVWR, I was good to go.
X2
Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
When looking for our rig, I ran into the same concerns. Seemed to me that the brochure weights were unrealistic and tongue weights were all at around 10% of some published low number. My research led me to believe that most tongue weights were more than 10% and there were lots of recommendations for targeting 15% to minimize chances for sway.
In order to be able to compare apples to apples on different trailers relative to weight, I decided to base all decisions on trailer GVWR - the max the manufacturer said the loaded trailer could legally weigh. I then determined tongue weight at 15% of the GVWR. I figured that if I could handle 15% of GVWR, I was good to go.
Thank you. We've been coming to this conclusion as well. Still learning... It makes good sense though, to count on 12-15% of the GVWR for tongue weight.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for the info!

Still feeling a bit conflicted. I've pm'd with a few Tundra owners who tow one of the two campers we are interested in. Feedback has been remarkably positive about towing that specific camper with a Tundra (with the exception of JoshInReno, who posted here). Most say it tows excellent with a good WDH and brake controller. But I know. Numbers are numbers.

I also polled the Cherokee sub-forum to inquire about how many 274/26dbh owners tow with a half-ton truck (yes, yes, not all half-tons are equal), just to learn their specific experiences. Quite a few are happy with their Dodge/Chevy/Fords pulling it too.

So...we know the potential issues/discomfort of being too close in numbers. At the same time, this is a camper that we won't want or need to upgrade for a long time. And we aren't full-timers. As someone else said, we're right on the bubble. Wish it was a little more cut and dry. Selling our Tundra is not an option, so we're still thinking...

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #28

I pulled a Crusader 295RST fifth wheel with a Tundra with no issues but I think I was at my max. The trailer is 9,000# dry and around 1,000# additional with our gear. I towed our Crusader for about 5,000 miles with the Tundra. But I will admit I sold my Tundra and bought a Chevy 2500HD diesel truck because DW and I are planning to take a trip out west and was not sure if the Tundra would handle some of possible mountains we may cross. If it was not for going out west I would still have the Tundra.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #29
Site Team

I know it is very difficult to do, but you should take the emotion out of this decision and base it on facts. One danger of the internet and forums is you can always find someone who will support your ideas right or wrong. If you look long enough you will be able to convince yourself that the answer you want is the correct answer. I am not trying to discourage you, but rather insure that after your purchase TT you will enjoy it and be comfortable towing it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #30

Flybob- this is what I'm thinking. at the end it's all learning by doing and will eventually end up in either swap the TV or the TT.
With my first TT, I had a RAM with 4.7L engine and knew it's tight. but we bought it, because we knew, we will just pull it 30 miles to the lake and try if we like it. after the 5th trip (we did not expect, that we like it that much), my wife mentioned to me, that we might need a bigger truck (the 4.7 had a hard time up hill). So we bought a bigger truck....and then one came to the other and she said- now, that we have a bigger truck...how much can we pull now? and we ended up with a brand new Vibe. I truly believe, it will go somewhat in this direction. And yes- you will always find someone who don't care and does, where everyone else tells you, that it's not good- and as long as nothing happens, they will tell you that you're wrong.
Happy camping.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
Flybob- this is what I'm thinking. at the end it's all learning by doing and will eventually end up in either swap the TV or the TT.
With my first TT, I had a RAM with 4.7L engine and knew it's tight. but we bought it, because we knew, we will just pull it 30 miles to the lake and try if we like it. after the 5th trip (we did not expect, that we like it that much), my wife mentioned to me, that we might need a bigger truck (the 4.7 had a hard time up hill). So we bought a bigger truck....and then one came to the other and she said- now, that we have a bigger truck...how much can we pull now? and we ended up with a brand new Vibe. I truly believe, it will go somewhat in this direction. And yes- you will always find someone who don't care and does, where everyone else tells you, that it's not good- and as long as nothing happens, they will tell you that you're wrong.
Happy camping.
It's a vicious circle! We had a 2011 Explorer that we pulled a popup with...Wife didn't like that it didn't have a potty. Got an Ultra-lite that fit the Explorers "Numbers"......towed for crap...got a truck.....Then the camper wasn't as big as we thought for our needs....Got a bigger camper....

Now our camper doesn't seem to like traveling long distances without issues creeping up, so we're talking about a seasonal. Then the camper won't be big enough (Excuses excuses), so we could get a bigger camper...then we won't need the truck because we have a seasonal....but we'll have a new camper that we could start towing again.....

At least that is what happens to guys like me....

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I know it is very difficult to do, but you should take the emotion out of this decision and base it on facts. One danger of the internet and forums is you can always find someone who will support your ideas right or wrong. If you look long enough you will be able to convince yourself that the answer you want is the correct answer. I am not trying to discourage you, but rather insure that after your purchase TT you will enjoy it and be comfortable towing it.
Thanks Flybob. I can certainly appreciate that. We are normally pretty cut and dry people and err on the conservative side of things. I wouldn't be crowd-sourcing this scenario so much if we weren't So. Darn. Close. And, it doesn't make it any easier hearing positive things from several Tundra owners with this set up. But you're right. The last thing we want is a bad towing experience. We've looked at a few other bunkhouses - they just didn't compare to the Cherokee. For now, we'll be indecisive and do nothing and just wallow in information overload
Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Thanks Flybob. I can certainly appreciate that. We are normally pretty cut and dry people and err on the conservative side of things. I wouldn't be crowd-sourcing this scenario so much if we weren't So. Darn. Close. And, it doesn't make it any easier hearing positive things from several Tundra owners with this set up. But you're right. The last thing we want is a bad towing experience. We've looked at a few other bunkhouses - they just didn't compare to the Cherokee. For now, we'll be indecisive and do nothing and just wallow in information overload
Not sure where you are located or how things are in your area, but out here there are a lot of people RENTING their rigs for a reasonable price. Must have to subsidize their payment. Anyway there are dozens for RENT on our Craig's List in the Southern California area. Maybe the safe bet would be to Rent something of similar size and weight and see how it feels. Even hit a CAT Scale and see what it looks like in real world weight numbers. Just don't kid yourself. Load it, fill the tanks and see how it works. A few hundred dollars for a weekend outing would shed some light on things

Tom.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #34

True hitch weight of Cherokee 274DBH? Can my Tundra pull it safely?

If it helps you, I am running at 950 tongue. Dry was 785. So with DW, dogs and some firewood. I am right at the line if not over a hair.

I am happy with my towing setup. I am running with d rated tires and put sumo springs in the rear to get my sag out.

Feel free to pm me

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #35

Have you considered the "Grey Wolf" version? It's the same exact floor plan, but it is lighter overall (Max is still the same because of cargo capabilities). If it's lighter and the same floor plan with minor changes, it could work out for you.

The numbers they have on the website seem a bit off to me on their weights between the two, but I'm sure it has something to do with where they sit over the axle. As I stated earlier, the Cherokee sits 8" higher, so that would shift some of the weights forward. The lengths and width are really the same in real life, for some reason they aren't reflecting that on the 26DBH

Here is a the link to a write up I did with the differences between them last spring.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bh-101945.html

There is a place here in Wisconsin that rents the 26DBH as well....it would be a drive for you to get here, but would give you the opportunity to give it a whirl....
TRAVEL TRAILERS FOR RENT - Family Time Rentals

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB View Post
Milover i have air firestone air bags to fit your truck 200 dollars you pay shiping im in alaabma

Still have these?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 forest river Cherokee limited 274dbh

Tow vehicle 2017 Toyota Tundra crewmax limited 5.7l v8. 4x4 6" lift
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB View Post
Milover i have air firestone air bags to fit your truck 200 dollars you pay shiping im in alaabma
You should add it to the classifieds or through pm's

back to on topic posting

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #38

in a worst case scenario, if god forbid you have a wreck if you are overweight you probably are going to have issues with the police and your insurance company just not worth the risk to me.
our TT weights in right at 1/2 our TV towing capacity you still know it is there but the towing experience is great, getting there should be part of the fun
Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
in a worst case scenario, if god forbid you have a wreck if you are overweight you probably are going to have issues with the police and your insurance company just not worth the risk to me.
our TT weights in right at 1/2 our TV towing capacity you still know it is there but the towing experience is great, getting there should be part of the fun
What are they going to do? Sweep up the mess and put it in a pile on the scale?

There would be nothing obvious about this set-up that would make anybody investigate whether this rig would be overweight. It's not an extremely larger or long TT and it's not a small looking truck.

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #40

trust me police and insurance companies are not stupid
Closed Thread

Tags
cherokee, hitch, tundra, weight