Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1 View Post
Ty
Need to know the axle and payload ratings for your truck
Need to know what your WDH is

We tow a 34' rear kitchen TT. Started out with ½ tone Tundra and a Husky Centerline WDH. That combo towed just fine. Found out that the TT was too much for the truck and moved to a 3/4 ton with an Andersen WDH. This combo tows just fine but is safe.

The rear kitchen is not your problem
Old 01-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #22
Dobbs from WI

Forget upgrading everything and just get a smaller rear kitchen travel trailer for traveling (and the DW) and leave the 34 footer at the permanent site.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #23

We tow a 35ft RK model with a F150 Screw Max Tow package. I changed to LT tires, run 80 psi, use a Blue OX hitch. Had sway issue before changing tires and tuning the Blue Ox, but no more. Took a 4k mile trip from Michigan through and around Colorado with no sway issues. What kind of hitch you using?
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1 View Post
I have a 2017 FR Wildcat 311RKS!!

This is our second TT. I had no issues pulling a similar TT, but it wasn’t a rear kitchen model.

Two summers ago, I took my family on an 800 mile trip in our new travel trailer. Let’s just say it was a “white knuckle” driving experience on the highway. Top speed was 55 mph (which was fine), but the camper was all over the place.

We camp a lot, but we don't pull the rv very often...= permanent spot at a campground...

For our next trip...My question is: How can I improve the driving experience with this rear kitchen setup?

I have a 2015 Ford F 150 XLT = 10,200 rating

Anti-sway system hitch rated at 10k

Wildcat= 6735+730 (hitch) + 2,795 (ccc) = 10,260

We travel lite=500 pds (150 just for my tools)= All in at about 8,000 for us.

Before we hit the road, a friend talked me into installing Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs. He said it would improve the ride and safety.

I think this was a mistake and a waste of time and $. I think I made the driving problem worse.

On the trip, I adjusted the air springs in every way possible. Nothing worked. The best option was the minimum 10 pounds on both sides.

I know I need more tongue weight in the front of the TT.

Beyond putting sand bags, the spare tire and the pots/pans up front, do you have any suggestions on this issue?

My wife won’t do another trip, unless I fix the problem. Btw: She just had to have the rear kitchen model. Lol.

Any opinions on your experience would be appreciated!!
Just a quick no cost suggestion from someone who has been around a little and has towed many many trailer combinations. Before you "buy" or "try" or trade your truck for a semi, try lowering the ball on your hitch an inch or so. If that helps but does not cure it completely, try another inch. Ditch the air bags, all they do is increase the problem. Ignore those that tell you that you don't have enough truck to pull that trailer. I am currently towing a 32' 5th wheel and have for over 30,000 miles with a similar truck to yours and we have enjoyed every mile of it with the exception of a blown trailer tire. I also got 56,000 miles out of the original equipment tires on the truck. I would say I was probably not overloaded wouldn't you?
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
Ignore those that tell you that you don't have enough truck to pull that trailer. I am currently towing a 32' 5th wheel and have for over 30,000 miles with a similar truck to yours and we have enjoyed every mile of it with the exception of a blown trailer tire. I also got 56,000 miles out of the original equipment tires on the truck. I would say I was probably not overloaded wouldn't you?

Wow! Great advice. The OP has a TT and you have a 5'er. Hmmm. His pivot point is 4 FEET behind his rear axle and yours is 2 INCHES in FRONT of your rear axle. He is having sway issues you are not... Hmmmm
I love this site!
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
D W

Common problem with a rear kitchen. Solution is to unload the kitchen. Yeah, I know, you have all that storage space with cabinets and pantry that you just want to fill them up. Wrong! Lighten the load, distribute the weight for balance, and gain some additional tongue weight. Hauling around sand bags is ludicrous!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Wow! Great advice. The OP has a TT and you have a 5'er. Hmmm. His pivot point is 4 FEET behind his rear axle and yours is 2 INCHES in FRONT of your rear axle. He is having sway issues you are not... Hmmmm
I love this site!
The point regarding my pulling the 5th wheel was to demonstrate the ability of the truck when properly equipped and set up, has the power and suspension to do the job. When you have pulled the hundreds of trailers I have, perhaps I will take your advice if offered. My suggestion was a simple one. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater perhaps changing the position of the tub might be fiscally responsible. I was remiss in not suggesting that changing the angle of the hitch head is also a big deal.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #28

I have a 30' RKS. I originally pulled with an Avalanche. I thought the Avalanche could do it. Pulled just fine no sway with Equalizer 4pt hitch.
The reason I upgraded to a 2500HD was I felt that the trailer was sometimes pushing the Avalanche.
I considered the 1500, I felt it would only slightly improve. We have been extremely happy with the current towing set up.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Common problem with a rear kitchen. Solution is to unload the kitchen. Yeah, I know, you have all that storage space with cabinets and pantry that you just want to fill them up. Wrong! Lighten the load, distribute the weight for balance, and gain some additional tongue weight. Hauling around sand bags is ludicrous!
sand bags are good for testing the weight, but yeah, just redistribute from the rear to the front.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #30

TT Rear Kitchen Towing - sway issues

Many replies haver focused on the 'too much trailer for tow vehicle' question. We have a 33KRLOK Forest River Surveyor that we to with a 2017 Silverado 1500. We researched all the specs and issue and elected to go with a ProPride hitch for this combination. We could not be more satisfied. After nearly a year we have successfully towed over 5000 miles ... including thru the Cumberland Gap as well as in 'modest' cross wind and other conditions. These hitches WORK!!! Suggest you consider a Propride (or Hensley .. which is an earlier version) of a sway eliminating hitch. The physics employed actually works and is worth the additional cost. Try and find a Propride (or Hensley) user who would sell theirs and go back to a conventional hitch. Without the Propride we would not even attempt to pull the 33KRLOK with the Silverado 1500. With the Propride we cruise along at 65 (and yes ... we can stop just fine with the Silverado 1500 brakes).
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #31

Would like to suggest you re-setup your WDH with your air bags. Inflate your airbags first to the pressure you want to travel at. Then redo your WDH. Adjusting your airbags after your WDH is set up properly will completely change how the weight is distributed and will cause sway issues.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #32

Quote:
The point regarding my pulling the 5th wheel was to demonstrate the ability of the truck when properly equipped and set up, has the power and suspension to do the job. When you have pulled the hundreds of trailers I have, perhaps I will take your advice if offered. My suggestion was a simple one. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater perhaps changing the position of the tub might be fiscally responsible. I was remiss in not suggesting that changing the angle of the hitch head is also a big deal.
With a dry weight of 8720 and a tongue weight of 1390 on your trailer, I'm just wondering what your trailer actually weighed when you loaded it and reweighed it. My 8300# advertised dry weight grew to nearly 9600# when I lightly loaded mine and weighed it on the CAT scales. It's amazing that you could tow what you are towing without exceeding at least one of your weight ratings. If you are not, my hat is off to you.
2016 Micro Lite 25DKS (sold)
rmillermtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillermtsu View Post
With a dry weight of 8720 and a tongue weight of 1390 on your trailer, I'm just wondering what your trailer actually weighed when you loaded it and reweighed it. My 8300# advertised dry weight grew to nearly 9600# when I lightly loaded mine and weighed it on the CAT scales. It's amazing that you could tow what you are towing without exceeding at least one of your weight ratings. If you are not, my hat is off to you.
I don't remember the specs exactly but my truck was special ordered and I believe the cargo capacity was somewhere in the mid 2000 lbs. easily surpassing the 1500 or so lbs. or so when loaded. I did weigh the truck and trailer one time and I was about 1000 lbs. under the GCWR. Believe me I really did my homework before ordering both the truck and the trailer. I even removed the heavy recliner sofa and twin recliner chairs in order to remove some weight. I spent 40 years in the RV business and I wouldn't drive something that wasn't safe. The only issue I have had is I had to replace the front brakes at about 40,000 miles which to me was a bit early. Other than that the truck has never been in for any type of Ford service.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There's a big difference between a 28' RV and a 34' RV.

Have you actually weighed the combination? If not, start there. Then you'll know exactly what you're working with.

Second thing is as mentioned above, change the tires out to LT tires. Or change the truck out to a 250/2500!

Also, if your fresh water tank is behind the axles, like ours is, tote as little water as you can.
X2. The difference in length is not linear, it is exponential
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiller63304 View Post
Many replies haver focused on the 'too much trailer for tow vehicle' question. We have a 33KRLOK Forest River Surveyor that we to with a 2017 Silverado 1500. We researched all the specs and issue and elected to go with a ProPride hitch for this combination. We could not be more satisfied. After nearly a year we have successfully towed over 5000 miles ... including thru the Cumberland Gap as well as in 'modest' cross wind and other conditions. These hitches WORK!!! Suggest you consider a Propride (or Hensley .. which is an earlier version) of a sway eliminating hitch. The physics employed actually works and is worth the additional cost. Try and find a Propride (or Hensley) user who would sell theirs and go back to a conventional hitch. Without the Propride we would not even attempt to pull the 33KRLOK with the Silverado 1500. With the Propride we cruise along at 65 (and yes ... we can stop just fine with the Silverado 1500 brakes).
You are focusing on one of many parts to towing. For example, you are completely ignoring the fact that the 1500 brakes an 4l60 transmission are not up to the task. You are literally making the argument that maybe you CAN, but it doesn’t mean you should. Your Silverado will be destroyed long before it’s useful life being overworked like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
You are focusing on one of many parts to towing. For example, you are completely ignoring the fact that the 1500 brakes an 4l60 transmission are not up to the task. You are literally making the argument that maybe you CAN, but it doesn’t mean you should. Your Silverado will be destroyed long before it’s useful life being overworked like this.
*Hogwash*
Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #37
Multi-Slacker

Before this thread gets destroyed, let us wait until the OP reports back with what he has for a WDH and what the specs for the truck are.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #38

Quote:
*Hogwash*
I’d like to hear you say that when you your transmission goes out...and it will.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #39

Quote:
*Hogwash*
X2
dthomso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiller63304 View Post
holly crap, thats very big but beautiful TT you have and I thought i was in trouble with my 2018 Silverado 1500/fastwayE2 and FR Vibe 28rl at 34ft/6800 behind me, not too much too complain about except for I feel the back of the truck kinda sway back and forth at highway speeds, stops fine also
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing