Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #21

As for cost. I replaced four assemblies for about $140 per wheel with mounted tire - delivered. I have a $20 filter on my compressor. I am nowhere near any source of cheap nitrogen. Dry air and generated nitrogen will both due just fine to protect that investment.

But think practically for just a minute. Trailer tires just don't last. You will find any trace of corrosion on the rims if you look for it when it's time for new rubber long before there's a problem. It is, in my opinion, just being a little uptight about something that just isn't going to turn into a catastrophe when in the hands of a competent operator.

Like MTNGUY says - we're discussing trailer tires. Even the corner gas station air is fine with due diligence
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Guys, were are talking trailer tires. The maximum speed rating for ST tires are 65 mph......not 200 mph like a Nascar COT, with tires continually scrubbing the pavement near their limits, and hot brakes heating them up even more . And the most elevation change a trailer tire will experience will probably be around 5000'........not 30,000'+ that an airplane experiences.

I watch my TPMS while going down the road, and on a hot day I can watch the pressure climb to 57 lbs. from the cold fill @ 50 lbs. The tires are made for this fluctuation.......that is why a maximum cold inflation pressure is stated on the sidewall.

A question for the aircraft personnel: Do you have a method for confirming 100% N2 in the tires ?? The way I understand N2 fills that only 95% can usually be obtained with ground based tires, as there will always be air in the tire to start with.

I have been a N2 tire fill naysayer, but I am always open to learn more. Right now, I don't see where a 15% gain in nitrogen in a trailer tire is worth the cost.
I am not even gonna bother arguing with you on this, because I really do agree it is a waste of time in a trailer tire.

But for you to say there is not difference is simply not true. If you have never used it before how do you know?

It is 100% dry. This is probably the most important key for aircraft. Ice is a problem at altitude. Also the wheels are magnesium which corrodes just by staring at it.

Another advantage is nitrogen molecules are larger and thus takes much longer to leak down even 1 psi. I probably lose more PSI checking tires than it does leaking out. It still leaks out but at a slightly lesser rate.

So keep calling it BS if you would like, as it is in a trailer tire or your average passenger car tire.

As for crocus, yes everthing is affected by temp, the real question is how much? Well if you think for one minute that a nitrogen filled tire reacts exactly the same as a plain air filled tire, your fooling yourself.

Now ya'll can carry on about your business.

Sorry if I come off like an ass, sometimes I am.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #23

Since my motorhome, car, boat trailer tires never see 200mph on a Nascar track or go from 0 to 130mph instantly as on a landing aircraft and never will see the harshness of outer space such as the tires on the shuttle I will not pay to have nitrogen put in my tires. It is a scam designed to separate those that don't do their research from their hard earned cash. As pointed out earlier, your RV, car, etc. tires will wear out from UV from the outside long before the air you put inside has any difference or effect.

I have read several very interesting technical articles on the net by SCIENTISTS not some guy who works at the airport or a Nascar mechanic or even the company trying to sell you this modern day version of "snake oil" who point out the same thing Chap did. It's hype.

However, it you believe in it then I have an elephant deterent rock I will sell you for a really good price. IT WORKS IT REALLY DOES! I haven't had elephants in our yard since I put it out there....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
not some guy who works at the airport

Hmmm, I guess all those engineers must be wrong. It has it's places.

Just not in passenger car tires or trailer tires.

From that guy that "works at the airport".
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #25

Let's just all agree that maintaining proper inflation in your tires is important, no matter what you use. As for the original poster's question, it appears that it doesn't matter whether you mix regular air w/ nitrogen and if he needs to top off the pressure, find an air station and fill it and keep traveling.

Let's keep things civil folks because I really don't like to close threads that have a good discussion going because things get out of hand.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
From that guy that "works at the airport".
I wasn't refering to you.

Heck everybody THINKS I work at Seattle Tower when I tell them I'm a controller.

When I tell them I work in Auburn they say "I didn't know Auburn had a tower"

Yes it has it's places. In competitive racing, aircraft tires, space shuttles. However I would NEVER pay to put it in my car or RV tires. Costco puts nitrogen in the tires for free if you buy your tires there. I didn't even know until I had them roate our tires and they put the sticker in our window that says "Tires filled to 33 lbs with nitrogen"
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #27
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Let's just all agree that maintaining proper inflation in your tires is important, no matter what you use. As for the original poster's question, it appears that it doesn't matter whether you mix regular air w/ nitrogen and if he needs to top off the pressure, find an air station and fill it and keep traveling.

Let's keep things civil folks because I really don't like to close threads that have a good discussion going because things get out of hand.

I agree to agree with Kim!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

This thread going down the path of "which oil is best?" It will never be answered. It is left up the the individual to decide for themselves what is correct and affordable. Time to let it die in my opinion.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #29

I wanted it kept civil. It was not. Thread closed.

Closed Thread