RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Turbo hose blow out - carry some hose clamps

Heading back from 3 weeks of camping, we lost a hose clamp on the turbo of a 2015 F350. After doing some research, this seems fairly common.

Short story / recommendation:
- I now highly recommend adding a few hose clamp to your tool set if you dont already have them.
- If you're camping near Jackson, MI, I highly recommend
Holiday Campground in Grass Lake.

Longer story:
- Duct tape wouldn't hold at 1/ 4 pressure or so.
- Testing duct tape attempted fixes on expressway is NO fun.
- No gas stations or auto stores with 10 miles.
- Holiday Campground in Grass Lake, Mi, near Jackson was closest place so we limped there.
- They gave me many options. Drop trailer in overflow parking lot. Put trailer in a site. And best option - they had a couple hose clamps in the back room that they gave to me. Yes, gave, no charge. It was also a nice looking, quiet campground.
- They had no interest in making money from me.
- They were nearly as concerned as I was with getting my family and me back on the road.
- 15 minutes later, hose clamp was installed and we were on our way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_150237.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	236559  
Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Good advice Skip.
As a gasser driver, I don't necessarily need a hose clamp for a turbo hose/line, but knowing your rig and what are some cheap, small, common failures are always a smart thing to keep with you.
Thanks for the tip for those diesel guys who I"m sure will find this helpful as well.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

When that happened on my 2009 Duramax, I improvised with a spare clamp I had for my sewer hose. Fit perfectly and with some gentle driving, it got me to a dealer for the real fix.

Fwiw.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

Thanks GXPWeasel and RichP. RichP, good advice on reusing parts when possible.

Another bit of advice - you can combine those hose clamps to make two medium sized ones into a very large one. Kinda obvious in low stress situations but a bit less obvious during a mid trip breakdown!
Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #5

Looks like itís a hose you need not a clamp.
That is a low grade of hose and the engine compartment is so cluttered thereís not much air circulation.
Shop around you can find a better hose.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

Emergency wire

I carry some medium wire for reasons like this. I've used wire in countless ways in emergency. Hose clamp, support, stitching together broken parts, fastener, binder, etc. Also, carry electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties, rope, jumpe cable, small spool of 16 ga electrical wire, DC connectors, come-a-long, tow strap, shovel, swede saw, standard fare of lubes, wrenches, vice grip, drill, tin or better yet airline snips, etc. I'm sure we all have a stash of emergency flexible parts/tools/supplies. Most don't take that much weight or room either. BTW this spring left remote campsite to early and thought I knew where the road was. LOL ran the truck into muddy low spot off road and stuck. I would have used the come-a-long, but discovered those orange plastic pads work great to support tire and provide traction.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

Comealong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I carry some medium wire for reasons like this. I've used wire in countless ways in emergency. Hose clamp, support, stitching together broken parts, fastener, binder, etc. Also, carry electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties, rope, jumpe cable, small spool of 16 ga electrical wire, DC connectors, come-a-long, tow strap, shovel, swede saw, standard fare of lubes, wrenches, vice grip, drill, tin or better yet airline snips, etc. I'm sure we all have a stash of emergency flexible parts/tools/supplies. Most don't take that much weight or room either. BTW this spring left remote campsite to early and thought I knew where the road was. LOL ran the truck into muddy low spot off road and stuck. I would have used the come-a-long, but discovered those orange plastic pads work great to support tire and provide traction.
Good gried

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
Thats nice but I doubt you will repair a 3Ē+- turbo hose to hold 30-40 psi with tape and wire.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Heading back from 3 weeks of camping, we lost a hose clamp on the turbo of a 2015 F350. After doing some research, this seems fairly common.

Short story / recommendation:
- I now highly recommend adding a few hose clamp to your tool set if you dont already have them.
- If you're camping near Jackson, MI, I highly recommend
Holiday Campground in Grass Lake.

Longer story:
- Duct tape wouldn't hold at 1/ 4 pressure or so.
- Testing duct tape attempted fixes on expressway is NO fun.
- No gas stations or auto stores with 10 miles.
- Holiday Campground in Grass Lake, Mi, near Jackson was closest place so we limped there.
- They gave me many options. Drop trailer in overflow parking lot. Put trailer in a site. And best option - they had a couple hose clamps in the back room that they gave to me. Yes, gave, no charge. It was also a nice looking, quiet campground.
- They had no interest in making money from me.
- They were nearly as concerned as I was with getting my family and me back on the road.
- 15 minutes later, hose clamp was installed and we were on our way.
Just don't pick up any Hitchhikers in Jackson !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote