Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 7
Turn off anti-sway in 2019 Ford F-150?

I have a 2017 Ford F-150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost and use an Andersen "No-Sway" Weight Distribution Hitch to pull a 2019 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 248RBS. The manual for the Andersen hitch says a should turn off the electronic anti-sway in my truck if it uses vehicle brakes as part of an electronic anti-sway system. The manual for the Ford F-150 says it applies vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces engine power.

Additionally, the Ford manual states "Ford does not recommend disabling this feature except in situations where speed reduction may be detrimental (such as hill climbing), the driver has significant trailer towing experience, and can control trailer sway and maintain safe operation."

I am brand new at owning a camper and the only towing I've done has been light trailers in the past. Should I disable the anti-sway in the Ford F-150?
__________________

__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS
2017 Ford F-150
mjuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
I have a '19 F150 pulling a 28' TT I leave the sway control on. If sway starts getting large enough that the hitch won't control it I'll take all the help the vehicle can offer. My 4pt Equalizer is silent in the instructions about disabling any vehicle safety controls.
__________________

__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 56
I tow with a F-150 EcoBoost also have equalizer 4-point called the company they recommend turn off anti-sway on my Ford
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I have a '19 F150 pulling a 28' TT I leave the sway control on. If sway starts getting large enough that the hitch won't control it I'll take all the help the vehicle can offer. My 4pt Equalizer is silent in the instructions about disabling any vehicle safety controls.
Usually the only braking you want in a big sway event is on the trailer itself. That's why the manual lever on the controller.

If sway starts, foot off brake and manually brake trailer.

The tow vehicle's anti-sway controll can just make things worse.

Don't you think the manufacture might have tested this at their facilities before making this recommendation?

Last fall I put a rather large "hickey" in my seat cover when i saw my trailer sides alternately showing full on in my right and left rear view mirrors. I had the presence of mind to just grab the lever and problem ended as quick as it began.

Eventually the seat cover went back to smooth.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
st4
from south Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Crowley
Posts: 108
Yes turn it off and remember every time you turn the truck off you will have to turn off again.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Usually the only braking you want in a big sway event is on the trailer itself. That's why the manual lever on the controller.

If sway starts, foot off brake and manually brake trailer.

The tow vehicle's anti-sway controll can just make things worse.

Don't you think the manufacture might have tested this at their facilities before making this recommendation?


Last fall I put a rather large "hickey" in my seat cover when i saw my trailer sides alternately showing full on in my right and left rear view mirrors. I had the presence of mind to just grab the lever and problem ended as quick as it began.

Eventually the seat cover went back to smooth.

I have yet to see it in writing from Equalizer, just internet urban legends. On the same note don't you think Ford has also tested the trucks sway control and it's abilities before installing and promoting it for use with trailers?
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 623
If your WDH has sway conrtol then it is probably a good idea to turn it off. It will fight a vehicle DSC and can make the situation worse in the event of sway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
On the same note don't you think Ford has also tested the trucks sway control and it's abilities before installing and promoting it for use with trailers?
Can't speak to Equalizer in particular but most WDH with built in sway control indicate disabling the sway control. There are a lot of trailers that do not utilize a WDH with built in sway control- horse, cargo, landscape, boat and car. Just to name a few. I turn sway control off with the TH but leave it on for all others.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 269
Having just been through an avoidance event which put both the truck and trailer (w/ Reese sc hitch) in a b**** of a skid event, I wouldn't turn off the truck sway control on a bet.


Kudos to all of you who have the time and presence of mind to be able to reach the brake override and expertly apply it while trying to keep the tires on the pavement; I believe the vehicle computer can react better and faster than I in such situations.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Clymer NY
Posts: 410
I had a trailer that would start to sway once in a while, The Ford anti sway system applied the trailer brakes and released the throttle before I could start to react. It is a good system and I think disabling it while towing is a mistake.
__________________
2020 Coachmen Mirada Select 37RB
2019 Ford Mustang
H&H Aluminum Car Hauler
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western Maryland
Posts: 22
My experience has been that the computer in the truck (F-150 3.5 EB) thinks much faster than I can.
On two occasions sudden wind gusts created a serious sway condition. The truck cut the throttle and applied trlr brakes in the blink of an eye. Problem solved.
I no longer own the F-150, but I'm not sure the electronic sway control can be deactivated.
__________________
2017 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 Gears
2019 Flagstaff 26FKBS
Steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
Having just been through an avoidance event which put both the truck and trailer (w/ Reese sc hitch) in a b**** of a skid event, I wouldn't turn off the truck sway control on a bet.


Kudos to all of you who have the time and presence of mind to be able to reach the brake override and expertly apply it while trying to keep the tires on the pavement; I believe the vehicle computer can react better and faster than I in such situations.

I agree with you, unless you often have sway events so your well trained, your brain needs time to process what's happening and remembering the correct action to take. I'd guess a good 2 seconds, while the truck knows what to do and reacts in milliseconds.
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
On the same note don't you think Ford has also tested the trucks sway control and it's abilities before installing and promoting it for use with trailers?
I like that point. It would be nice if Ford put a statement to that effect in the manual.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, TTP Tune 3
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 75
I have a Blue Ox WDH with a 16 F150 and it too states to turn of the sway control. I leave mine on and it too kicked in once and it reacted way faster than I could could. It was under control before I could say oh _hit.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
We use the sway bar on our eaz-lift (camco) WDH and it doesn't say anything about shutting off the truck's anti-sway. I wouldn't shut it off if it did. The WDH anti-sway bar is friction to prevent sway. The truck's anti-sway is active and intended to correct sway. They work in tandem, in my opinion.
__________________
Jim and Michelle + Family
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
2020 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, max tow
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 428
I have a 2011 F 150 with the anti sway system and NEVER turn it off. I have been in a couple of rough situations and the combination anti sway system of the truck and the hitch have saved my life.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 6,921
I have an E4. The vehicle's electronic sway control is going to stay on. I trust the engineers that designed the anti sway more than the guys that weld together a hitch. And speaking of that, if that was really their advice, you would think it would be in their manual which it isn't.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,221
I turn off the F-150 sway. I tow with a Propride and am confident it will not let the trailer sway - been in enough situations where wind, semi's, etc should have caused something. All I've ever gotten is minor twitching. However, I've been in 3 situations where I needed to make a planned steering change - get into another lane quickly, chicane in a construction zone, etc. In these 3 cases the truck interpreted the forces as sway and cut power, applied brakes, and almost got me hit by a tailgating vehicle.

Ford may have tested trailers without good sway control, I seriously doubt they tested with a Hensley design hitch.
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. It’s the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 6,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Ford may have tested trailers without good sway control, I seriously doubt they tested with a Hensley design hitch.
So...what makes you think having the Ford anti sway on wouldn't still improve the sway avoidance?
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I have yet to see it in writing from Equalizer, just internet urban legends. On the same note don't you think Ford has also tested the trucks sway control and it's abilities before installing and promoting it for use with trailers?
Here's the number to the customer service of Equalizer hitch 1-800 478-5578 customer service call them they'll tell you the same thing they told me to turn off your sway control on your F-150
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdub2 View Post
Here's the number to the customer service of Equalizer hitch 1-800 478-5578 customer service call them they'll tell you the same thing they told me to turn off your sway control on your F-150

Thank you,


I emailed Equalizer this morning asking about disabling the trucks sway control. Will update when I get their written response.
__________________

__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, sway

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.


×