Old 09-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Turning Point PinBox and Curt Q20

Total newbie to 5th wheel towing so hereís the first of many newbie questions...
The dealer handed me a lube disc and said it was my choice to install it or not...seeing as I know nothing about it I donít know whether I like the idea or not. Iím concerned about the small gap the disc would create (1/8 inch?) especially around the wedge...
To grease or to go with the nylon disc, that is the question.
And if grease, what is the appropriate grease for hitch plate?
5thwheelinfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #2

If you are using the wedge, it locks into the truck hitch, so there is no turning there. So no need for a teflon disc or grease.
You should grease the sides of the wedge and perhaps the leading edge of the kingpin plate for easier hitching. I use dry lube so there is no mess.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #3

Thanks NMWildcat. Any particular brand of dry lube you prefer?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelinfireman View Post
Thanks NMWildcat. Any particular brand of dry lube you prefer?
I really don't have a preference, but I tend to find this one most everywhere; https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/. I also use it on the slide out mechanisms.
And sometimes I use a silicone spray on the hitch surfaces.
Be sure and look up the maintenance on your Turning Point. I take my Sidewinder apart every 12-18 months to clean and regrease all the bearing surfaces with Lucas Red-N-Tacky.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Paul & Dianne

I have the Turning Point and I do use the Teflon disk with it. It has kept my hitch plate clean and dirt free, FWIW. I do grease the hitch jaws, and the leading edges of the pin and wedge because as Scott says that helps a lot with hitching up. Be sure that you get the wedge that is specific to your Curt hitch, rather than just using the generic one. Overall, the Turning Point works fine and youíll do fine with it. Swing it back and forth and check, but mine was greased perfectly well by Lippert. I took it apart and checked... turned out not to be necessary.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #6

I use a spray White Lithium grease on the hitch plate, the pin, wedge and the jaws of the hitch. "A little dab will do ya" but it prevents friction on every mating surface, also prevents rust.

Our Reese hitch has two springs in the mechanism. We live where it is hot and humid. Before using the lithium spray those springs would not last an entire year before they broke and had to be replaced (a Total PITA)

Since using the grease on our Sidewinder hitch, no more broken springs.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
Overall, the Turning Point works fine and youíll do fine with it. Swing it back and forth and check, but mine was greased perfectly well by Lippert. I took it apart and checked... turned out not to be necessary.
How loose should the Turning point pin box be on its axis? I canít move mine by hand.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
How loose should the Turning point pin box be on its axis? I canít move mine by hand.
All the rotational king pin boxes that I have seen in real life can be turned by hand. Not easily, but my 120lb wife can get ours turned. First thing we do after unhitching is turn ours under the fifth wheel overhang to get it out of the way.
I have seen several posts by folks on this forum that could not move theirs by hand, but I do not know if they needed maintenance and re-torquing, or if they eventually freed up after use.
My wife just reminded me that we did run across a brand new RV with a Revolution at a NASCAR race that wouldn't turn by hand. After discussing our rotational hitches he had the dealer come out and service it, and then it turned by hand.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #9

If you have an older Q20, pre-2020 model, check with Lippert that it will work with the Turning Point. The head design on the Q20 will not work with the Reese Sidewinder due to it's axial points. Curt modified it late 2019 so that it will work with the Sidewinder. I went through all this verification back in early July when I purchased my new 5th wheel. Since I have a short bed truck, I wanted maximum clearance and the Sidewinder was the ideal choice, but I found that the Reese did not have a wedge for the Q20, only the A series. I contacted Curt and Reese and found out why and swapped the Q20 with an A20.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
All the rotational king pin boxes that I have seen in real life can be turned by hand. Not easily, but my 120lb wife can get ours turned. First thing we do after unhitching is turn ours under the fifth wheel overhang to get it out of the way.
I have seen several posts by folks on this forum that could not move theirs by hand, but I do not know if they needed maintenance and re-torquing, or if they eventually freed up after use.
My wife just reminded me that we did run across a brand new RV with a Revolution at a NASCAR race that wouldn't turn by hand. After discussing our rotational hitches he had the dealer come out and service it, and then it turned by hand.
When we bought ours used through Craigs List I purchased all new rotational and bearing parts for it.

It goes together easily but after torqueing, un-torqueing and re-torqueing it as per the Reese Manual it does not rotate easily by hand, in fact not at all.

It does get more easy to back into as the year progresses but never does it turn by hand for me.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
When we bought ours used through Craigs List I purchased all new rotational and bearing parts for it.

It goes together easily but after torqueing, un-torqueing and re-torqueing it as per the Reese Manual it does not rotate easily by hand, in fact not at all.

It does get more easy to back into as the year progresses but never does it turn by hand for me.
Dang Doug, that really bites! Both of my Sidewinders turn(ed) by hand. The first one (non air ride) turned very easily, the current one takes some effort. Sounds like you did everything right, so I have no suggestions.
I have noticed that the Revolution and Turning Point design (castle nut on the bottom) seem to be harder to turn than Sidewinders in general.
As mentioned, we always turn our Sidewinder sidewise after unhitching. It never fails to start conversations as someone always asks me what is wrong with our hitch. So I usually get asked lots of questions and if someone else has a rotation type we always cuss and discuss their attributes. But I honestly haven't seen one that didn't eventually rotate by hand, although some actually took two of us
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Dang Doug, that really bites! Both of my Sidewinders turn(ed) by hand. The first one (non air ride) turned very easily, the current one takes some effort. Sounds like you did everything right, so I have no suggestions.
I have noticed that the Revolution and Turning Point design (castle nut on the bottom) seem to be harder to turn than Sidewinders in general.
As mentioned, we always turn our Sidewinder sidewise after unhitching. It never fails to start conversations as someone always asks me what is wrong with our hitch. So I usually get asked lots of questions and if someone else has a rotation type we always cuss and discuss their attributes. But I honestly haven't seen one that didn't eventually rotate by hand, although some actually took two of us
I did it very correctly used White Lithium grease from a tube on the initial assembly and again each spring just before the first trip of the year.

Im just the luckless SOB that got this one, but in the great grand scheme of things it is not that much of a hassle really.

Im the guy whose glass is always half full. Tanya says if you built a room 8x8x8 no doors or windows and filled it with horse manure Id leap in grab a shovel and say "There is a pony in here somewhere and Im going to find it".

This thing beats the hell out of the slider base I had on this Reese hitch before I got the Sidewinder. Let me change to two fixed legs at MUCH less weight (Im betting I saved 125 lbs) and noise from the slider clanging while towing!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #13

I have the 68220 model Sidewinder with the center bolt, comes completely assembled including the two huge bolts that keep it from rotating, and it turns very easily. I do the same thing, swing it around 180* so it is out of the way. It allows me to back the truck right up to the nose with the tailgate up so I can park in front of it in most camp sites.

When I first brought the trailer home I didn't notice it, but thankfully had to bring it in for repairs before our first trip and that is when I noticed it was moving sideways when turning. Thought the wedge wasn't tight enough only to discover the dealer never put the proper wedge on it for the Curt. The were supposed to have ordered one, but they couldn't find it so had to order a new one. In the mean time I had a trip planned and they couldn't get it in time, so I took some measurements, and found a piece of bar stock of the exact thickness and height it needed, and welded on two pieces to make up the difference, ground them smooth so it fit properly and made it work. They got the correct wedge in last week and I installed it. We just got back from a weekend trip and would you believe the wedge I welded the pieces to was a tighter fit! The proper wedge for the A20 was at the extreme end of the adjustment screw, and it still allowed some play side to side, not enough for tracking or backing issues, but enough to clunk when turning or stopping, so I reinstalled the one I welded up. I guess I will get a new grinding disk and pretty it up a bit and give it a few coats of paint and just use that one instead. You know there is slop when the paint comes off both the wedge and the 5th wheel plate.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
As has been said... it should turn by hand. Mine is stiff, but not hard to turn. Like Scott, I always turn it 90deg as soon as I unhitch. Nobody has ever taken any notice, though!

IDK what to tell you if it won't turn by hand. Taking it apart and checking for grease, and checking the tapered pin and bearings is an option, although it is a PITA. I checked mine for grease after our first trip, just because. Mine was stiffer before I lubed it, although it was well greased from the factory. Turned out not to have been necessary to check. It did turn a little more freely after I took it apart, removed all the factory grease, and put it back together with new grease.

Taking it off is hard, putting it back on by yourself is next to impossible unless you weight lift in your spare time. When I did mine, I got my wife to give me a hand and we just managed it. Mostly it is the awkwardness of the thing, but it weighs a lot too, 160lbs or so. I am planning to build a cradle that will hold it level, then a floor jack underneath in my truck bed will be fine. Without the cradle, not so much.

Anyway, if it is working OK while towing, well... you might want to let it be until it's time to lube it again anyway. You probably should plan to lube it regularly, so when is it due?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

Lippert Turning Point and Curt - update

Ended up learning from Curt that the Q series hitches are not recommended for rotational pin boxes, the A series hitches are the right fit.
Dealer exchanged the Q20 for A20. I set it up and refit the universal wedge (Found the mounting bolts were loose which may have accounted for the sloppy initial towing) the universal wedge leaves room for movement anyways so I ordered the wedge Curt recommends. Surprise it fits much better than the universal wedge.
Between this forum and the manufacturers putting out instructional videos there is a ton of good information accessible to the average consumer guy.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #16

Congrats. Glad you got it worked out. Now you can enjoy the benefits of this type of hitch! Happy RVing!
Old 10-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Ended up learning from Curt that the Q series hitches are not recommended for rotational pin boxes, the A series hitches are the right fit.
Dealer exchanged the Q20 for A20. I set it up and refit the universal wedge (Found the mounting bolts were loose which may have accounted for the sloppy initial towing) the universal wedge leaves room for movement anyways so I ordered the wedge Curt recommends. Surprise it fits much better than the universal wedge.
Between this forum and the manufacturers putting out instructional videos there is a ton of good information accessible to the average consumer guy.
The bolts on my wedge kept loosening too. Locktite solved the problem.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #18

Thats what I figured. post #9 I pointed that out, so works the same for Turning Point and Reese. Whats is interesting is the wedge that is supposed to work with the A20 has slop in it with it all the way up, no threads left on the screw. The Reese wedge that I modified works much better, go figure, so guess this winter I will take it off and grind it smooth, check for cracks and give it a good coat of paint

Don't forget to grease the jaws on the A20, there is a zerk on each on that can oinly be reached when the jaws are closed.