Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Tuson Electronic Sway Control

Anybody have any experience with using this system to manage sway?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5TSC-1000.html

Looking at managing sway with my trailer, switched to Equalizer hitch when I purchased our new TT while it worked great at first over time it has gotten progressively worse to the point I don't trust it anymore.
An yes for the weight police my rig is within trucks limits, scaled out. Like I said the Equalizer hitch preformed to exceptions but as it wears it no longer controlling sway.

My concern with this system is possible excessive wear on trailer brakes.
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Anybody have any experience with using this system to manage sway?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5TSC-1000.html

Looking at managing sway with my trailer, switched to Equalizer hitch when I purchased our new TT while it worked great at first over time it has gotten progressively worse to the point I don't trust it anymore.
An yes for the weight police my rig is within trucks limits, scaled out. Like I said the Equalizer hitch preformed to exceptions but as it wears it no longer controlling sway.

My concern with this system is possible excessive wear on trailer brakes.
I'm assuming that you continue to retighten the bolts that provide the anti- sway? I keep a torque wrench in bed of the truck to check them every morning before heading down the road, they will loosen up.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

If you have sway issues solve them with proper loading . I think adding on a unit to mask the issue is not the answer . or there will be the hensley or propride people saying that's the way to go .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

As your Equalizer hitch wears you will need to adjust it.

The electronic systems are all very similar.. they apply the brakes to control sway. I think I would use that as a last resort.

I have the Fastway E2 (very similar) and I've had to adjust it probably 3 or 4 times already.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
If you have sway issues solve them with proper loading . I think adding on a unit to mask the issue is not the answer . or there will be the hensley or propride people saying that's the way to go .
Nothing has changed on the trailer, all items per-weighed prior to loading so I know how much weight was going where and then scaled out. I am very confident trailer is properly loaded. As I said getting progressively worse over time. What gets me this TT is 3 foot longer, ~1,000 pds heaver over all with an additional 300 pds on the hitch. Should have kept my Reese Pro hitch, worked much better.

Been looking at the Hensley but want to explorer all my options.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
As your Equalizer hitch wears you will need to adjust it.

The electronic systems are all very similar.. they apply the brakes to control sway. I think I would use that as a last resort.

I have the Fastway E2 (very similar) and I've had to adjust it probably 3 or 4 times already.
I make sure to check bolt torques, currently set at 85 lbs, before each trip and have verified my setup with Equalizer, just not that impressed with their system.

Also looking at the Fastway E2 system, how that working for you? To me looks like the Equalizer which I have soured on.

Will admit I am a bit Leary of using a sway system that controls sway by modulating trailer brakes, my question is how that affects the tow vehicle in sloppy conditions. Watched two YouTube videos, TFLTruck and MrTruck.com, testing the system and while it appears to work as advertised several comments about how you can feel it tugging on their test truck.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
These electronic sway controls are not there to mask sway issues. They're there as a last resort safety device to keep the trailer from overturning or running the whole rig off the road. They operate just like the "Vehicle Dynamic Controls" on later model vehicles and apply brakes selectively when sway or side forces exceed a certain level (G-Force).

If a trailer has a slight sway, not enough to generate g-forces high enough to trigger the control, no brake action at all. Sever sway and it can act quicker than one can reach for the emergency lever on the controller.

Owner still has to load the trailer properly and drive sensibly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
I make sure to check bolt torques, currently set at 85 lbs, before each trip and have verified my setup with Equalizer, just not that impressed with their system.

Also looking at the Fastway E2 system, how that working for you? To me looks like the Equalizer which I have soured on.

Will admit I am a bit Leary of using a sway system that controls sway by modulating trailer brakes, my question is how that affects the tow vehicle in sloppy conditions. Watched two YouTube videos, TFLTruck and MrTruck.com, testing the system and while it appears to work as advertised several comments about how you can feel it tugging on their test truck.
The two systems are very similar. In fact, I use the Equalizer Sway Bracket Jackets on mine.

I'm talking about adjusting the hitch head and/or possibly the bar tension. The bolt torques will keep everything where it should be but do very little to reduce sway (unless the brackets are loose).

Have you checked to ensure proper hitch setup? When the hitch was first installed they would have done this. You might want to pull out the owners manual and check the specs.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

I used the Hayes Electronic Sway Control with our Coachman. I was pulling a 22 foot trailer with a 7.3 Excursion and no weight distribution just a hitch and ball. On a 6000 mile trip across the Rockies, The Hayes did a very good job the few times it was needed and I would highly recommend it. Our first Hayes unit had a short and eTrailer sent a replacement to a campground along our route. Hayes then replaced that one with yet another new unit so I could get a credit with eTrailer. The customer service from both companies was excellent.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:

Quote:
If the equilizer bars are still stiff to move then something is amiss with your rig and/or trailer setup. We have no sway with our setup, even when we had a Curt WDH with no sway control.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
If the equilizer bars are still stiff to move then something is amiss with your rig and/or trailer setup. We have no sway with our setup, even when we had a Curt WDH with no sway control.
The driver side is finger lose, per Equilizer this is acceptable as they "tighten up when load is applied". Like I said, soured on their design.
I have pulled a 24' with a Dakota using Reese Pro Series hitch with a add on sway bar performed way better than this hitch over it life.
Like I said it performed great at first and has slowly degraded over time and nothing on the TT has changed.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
The driver side is finger lose, per Equilizer this is acceptable as they "tighten up when load is applied". Like I said, soured on their design.
I have pulled a 24' with a Dakota using Reese Pro Series hitch with a add on sway bar performed way better than this hitch over it life.
Like I said it performed great at first and has slowly degraded over time and nothing on the TT has changed.
Then it's not properly torqued - or possibly the socket and/or head is extremely worn out, which ours isn't after 3 years of use.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #13

Obviously youíre ready to move on from the equalizer. Iíve had very good results with the Reese dual cam(they call it something else now) and currently with the Blue Ox system. Donít know anything about the E2 other than it seems to be a step down according to the experts on here.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, sway control