Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 255
Tuson Electronic Sway Control

Anybody have any experience with using this system to manage sway?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5TSC-1000.html

Looking at managing sway with my trailer, switched to Equalizer hitch when I purchased our new TT while it worked great at first over time it has gotten progressively worse to the point I don't trust it anymore.
An yes for the weight police my rig is within trucks limits, scaled out. Like I said the Equalizer hitch preformed to exceptions but as it wears it no longer controlling sway.

My concern with this system is possible excessive wear on trailer brakes.
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jimandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Anybody have any experience with using this system to manage sway?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5TSC-1000.html

Looking at managing sway with my trailer, switched to Equalizer hitch when I purchased our new TT while it worked great at first over time it has gotten progressively worse to the point I don't trust it anymore.
An yes for the weight police my rig is within trucks limits, scaled out. Like I said the Equalizer hitch preformed to exceptions but as it wears it no longer controlling sway.

My concern with this system is possible excessive wear on trailer brakes.
I'm assuming that you continue to retighten the bolts that provide the anti- sway? I keep a torque wrench in bed of the truck to check them every morning before heading down the road, they will loosen up.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 281RLDSLE
2018 2500 HD Silverado
Equal-i-zer Hitch E4
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,362
If you have sway issues solve them with proper loading . I think adding on a unit to mask the issue is not the answer . or there will be the hensley or propride people saying that's the way to go .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,148
As your Equalizer hitch wears you will need to adjust it.

The electronic systems are all very similar.. they apply the brakes to control sway. I think I would use that as a last resort.

I have the Fastway E2 (very similar) and I've had to adjust it probably 3 or 4 times already.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
If you have sway issues solve them with proper loading . I think adding on a unit to mask the issue is not the answer . or there will be the hensley or propride people saying that's the way to go .
Nothing has changed on the trailer, all items per-weighed prior to loading so I know how much weight was going where and then scaled out. I am very confident trailer is properly loaded. As I said getting progressively worse over time. What gets me this TT is 3 foot longer, ~1,000 pds heaver over all with an additional 300 pds on the hitch. Should have kept my Reese Pro hitch, worked much better.

Been looking at the Hensley but want to explorer all my options.
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
As your Equalizer hitch wears you will need to adjust it.

The electronic systems are all very similar.. they apply the brakes to control sway. I think I would use that as a last resort.

I have the Fastway E2 (very similar) and I've had to adjust it probably 3 or 4 times already.
I make sure to check bolt torques, currently set at 85 lbs, before each trip and have verified my setup with Equalizer, just not that impressed with their system.

Also looking at the Fastway E2 system, how that working for you? To me looks like the Equalizer which I have soured on.

Will admit I am a bit Leary of using a sway system that controls sway by modulating trailer brakes, my question is how that affects the tow vehicle in sloppy conditions. Watched two YouTube videos, TFLTruck and MrTruck.com, testing the system and while it appears to work as advertised several comments about how you can feel it tugging on their test truck.
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
If you have sway issues solve them with proper loading . I think adding on a unit to mask the issue is not the answer . or there will be the hensley or propride people saying that's the way to go .
These electronic sway controls are not there to mask sway issues. They're there as a last resort safety device to keep the trailer from overturning or running the whole rig off the road. They operate just like the "Vehicle Dynamic Controls" on later model vehicles and apply brakes selectively when sway or side forces exceed a certain level (G-Force).

If a trailer has a slight sway, not enough to generate g-forces high enough to trigger the control, no brake action at all. Sever sway and it can act quicker than one can reach for the emergency lever on the controller.

Owner still has to load the trailer properly and drive sensibly.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
I make sure to check bolt torques, currently set at 85 lbs, before each trip and have verified my setup with Equalizer, just not that impressed with their system.

Also looking at the Fastway E2 system, how that working for you? To me looks like the Equalizer which I have soured on.

Will admit I am a bit Leary of using a sway system that controls sway by modulating trailer brakes, my question is how that affects the tow vehicle in sloppy conditions. Watched two YouTube videos, TFLTruck and MrTruck.com, testing the system and while it appears to work as advertised several comments about how you can feel it tugging on their test truck.
The two systems are very similar. In fact, I use the Equalizer Sway Bracket Jackets on mine.

I'm talking about adjusting the hitch head and/or possibly the bar tension. The bolt torques will keep everything where it should be but do very little to reduce sway (unless the brackets are loose).

Have you checked to ensure proper hitch setup? When the hitch was first installed they would have done this. You might want to pull out the owners manual and check the specs.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chaplain Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 160
I used the Hayes Electronic Sway Control with our Coachman. I was pulling a 22 foot trailer with a 7.3 Excursion and no weight distribution just a hitch and ball. On a 6000 mile trip across the Rockies, The Hayes did a very good job the few times it was needed and I would highly recommend it. Our first Hayes unit had a short and eTrailer sent a replacement to a campground along our route. Hayes then replaced that one with yet another new unit so I could get a credit with eTrailer. The customer service from both companies was excellent.
__________________
Chummy V
2014 Forester 2501TS
Ford E-450
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post

Looking at managing sway with my trailer, switched to Equalizer hitch when I purchased our new TT while it worked great at first over time it has gotten progressively worse to the point I don't trust it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
I make sure to check bolt torques, currently set at 85 lbs, before each trip and have verified my setup with Equalizer, just not that impressed with their system.
If the equilizer bars are still stiff to move then something is amiss with your rig and/or trailer setup. We have no sway with our setup, even when we had a Curt WDH with no sway control.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
If the equilizer bars are still stiff to move then something is amiss with your rig and/or trailer setup. We have no sway with our setup, even when we had a Curt WDH with no sway control.
The driver side is finger lose, per Equilizer this is acceptable as they "tighten up when load is applied". Like I said, soured on their design.
I have pulled a 24' with a Dakota using Reese Pro Series hitch with a add on sway bar performed way better than this hitch over it life.
Like I said it performed great at first and has slowly degraded over time and nothing on the TT has changed.
__________________
2020 Rockwood 2612WS
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
The driver side is finger lose, per Equilizer this is acceptable as they "tighten up when load is applied". Like I said, soured on their design.
I have pulled a 24' with a Dakota using Reese Pro Series hitch with a add on sway bar performed way better than this hitch over it life.
Like I said it performed great at first and has slowly degraded over time and nothing on the TT has changed.
Then it's not properly torqued - or possibly the socket and/or head is extremely worn out, which ours isn't after 3 years of use.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 338
Obviously youíre ready to move on from the equalizer. Iíve had very good results with the Reese dual cam(they call it something else now) and currently with the Blue Ox system. Donít know anything about the E2 other than it seems to be a step down according to the experts on here.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sway, sway control

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.