Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

tv for six people

we have six in our family. Right now we tow our 8316 at 6500 lbs empty with a silverodo 1500 (i know we at the limit ) we have only made short trips so far as we got the trailer last spring so we have kept supply weight low. My question is what would be a more roomy tv that six would fit in and tow lbs. Do tahoes or suburbans fit this. Do they even make those any more.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

Dodge Ram Mega Cab
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Watch the pickups, many only have 5 seat belts. They also don't have a way of keeping stuff dry or theft proof, without a cover on the bed. 3/4 ton Suburban, or Ford Excursion. With that many people and some gear in the tow vehicle, sounds like A 3/4 ton is in the works. By the way, I have a pickup truck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Dodge Ram Mega Cab
A megacab only comfortably seats 5 and 6 if you forgo the console. I personally hate having someone sitting beside me and got one with a console to eliminate that problem also they only have an 8250lb tow rating if you go with a Hemi and 3:73 gears or 10,250 with 4:10's on the new ones 100lbs more on the 06 to 09 and then there is the payload issue a hemi has a 2310lb payload and the diesel only has a 1580lb rating so stay away from megacabs. You would have to look at the HD suburban to get comfortable seating for 6 and decent tow capacity or a used Ford Excursion.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

Excursion

I tow with a 2003 Excursion 6.0 PSD and it really does the job. 1 trip to FLA. with wife, mother, 2- daughters, dog, moms bird and all very happy. 1 trip to MA with 4 adults and 4 children under 2. and I'm alive to talk about it. Love the truck.
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #6

Go with a used Diesel or V-10 Excursion or a 2500/3500 Suburban with the 8.1L, if you can find one?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

Ford and Chevy make 3/4 and one ton passenger vans with big V8's and Diesels.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

I think they pretty much said it all up there. If you go for a Suburban (don't get a Tahoe...won't be enough), you'll want to try and get the 2500. They do not make the Excursion anymore, but if you could find a good used one, that would be great. And the full size van is a great idea also. I have not seen a Chevy with a diesel, but I have seen Fords with them. But if you are looking at a bigger trailer someday (or a 5th wheel), a truck may be the answer. Depending on the size of the kids, a crew cab truck will work, but I don't think it would for a long time as the kids get bigger.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfire fun View Post
we have six in our family. Right now we tow our 8316 at 6500 lbs empty with a silverado 1500 (i know we at the limit ) we have only made short trips so far as we got the trailer last spring so we have kept supply weight low. My question is what would be a more roomy tv that six would fit in and tow lbs. Do tahoes or suburbans fit this. Do they even make those any more.
I suggest going by the the full load capacity of the camper, camping with six people you are going to be carrying a lot of stuff for a week at the beach.

With six people in the tow vehicle, you will need to subtract there weight and any cargo you carry with in the tow vehicle.

Stay away from short wheel base trucks/SUV and most likely they will not be rated to tow a lot of weight any way. I would say noting smaller then a Suburban as an example.

Techknowledge has changed and will continue to change, my 3/4 ton GMC Suburban 1997 was rated to tow 7,500 lbs, my 2008 heavy duty 1/2 ton pick up is rated at 10,500 lbs, the difference is the weight of each vehicle and the engine, the GMC had a 5.7 and the pick up has a 6.0, both have a 4:10 rear. The wheel base on the GMC is 130" and on the pick up it is 144" never had a problem with the GMC but the pick up fells better with a 144" wheel base and that's towing the same camper.

Look to the future what is your plans, bigger tt, 5th wheel, more kids...etc
It is overwhelming and you need a starting point.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Our GMC Sierra crew cab has logged quite a few miles with 4 adults and two car seats (the grand kids). The adults are not "skinny minnies" and the car seats tended to poke a bit but the Sierra Crewcab handled the the crowd just fine. The two car seats went in the back along with my Daughter in Law while my wife and son rode up front with me as I drove.

This was pre-Bella (LOL) our dog. Only one Grandchild in a booster seat now, but Bella will have to learn how to ride in the Fiver the next time we are out in the Seattle area.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #11

Chevy does have a long and short wheel base Express 3500 with a diesel in the 2011 model. The max tow rating is 9900 lb.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #12

Just having a little fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	3954  
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #13

Remember
That it is legal for passengers to ride in a 5th wheel with two way communication to the TV. I would love to ride in the trailer
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Not in every state unfortunately. Still illegal in PA as well as others.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not in every state unfortunately. Still illegal in PA as well as others.
O well I wouldn't let that stop me. But that just me
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #16

Sounds like a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel passenger van is in your future....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #17

My last tow vehicle was a E350 XLT Ford passenger van with seating for 12. Even when we traveled with 9 in the van it felt empty, and it truly drove like a dream even with a fairly large trailer in tow. I would highly highly recommend this type of van. Of all the vehicles I have ever owned it was my all time favorite to drive.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #18

In 2008 when i started looking at trucks, i was not sure what to buy. The first truck i looked at was a Chevy pick up 3/4 ton 6.2 Duramax the price on this truck was around $55,000, now when i checked in to the cost of maintaning this truck because it was a diesel for the amount of towing i was going to do and how much weight it would tow vs. what i had to tow this was an over kill of power and equipment and more money spent then needed.

Now this has been talked about before on the forum "Diesel vs. Gas". There are pros and cons between both but in the end it is operating cost and recovery time for the amount of time on the road.

I ended up with a $28,000 pick up truck that has a 6.0 gas engine that will tow what i need with room to spare and the the price of fuel is cheaper and cost less to maintain. We are week end campers and still work full time so there is not a lot of towing going on to justify the recover cost on a diesel at this time....Just some thing to think about.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
In 2008 when i started looking at trucks, i was not sure what to buy. The first truck i looked at was a Chevy pick up 3/4 ton 6.2 Duramax the price on this truck was around $55,000, now when i checked in to the cost of maintaning this truck because it was a diesel for the amount of towing i was going to do and how much weight it would tow vs. what i had to tow this was an over kill of power and equipment and more money spent then needed.

Now this has been talked about before on the forum "Diesel vs. Gas". There are pros and cons between both but in the end it is operating cost and recovery time for the amount of time on the road.

I ended up with a $28,000 pick up truck that has a 6.0 gas engine that will tow what i need with room to spare and the the price of fuel is cheaper and cost less to maintain. We are week end campers and still work full time so there is not a lot of towing going on to justify the recover cost on a diesel at this time....Just some thing to think about.
All of your comments are valid as long as you are towing under about 10K. However there are lots of folks who tow way heavier than that. What current gas motor is there that can tow my 13,350 pound fiver and get 10 MPG in the process? When towing up near the limits, there is nothing like a diesel motor for torque and economy. Now for the weekend thing? So what? My 8000 pound dually is getting 13.5-14.5 as a daily driver on my 10 mile commute. Maintenance costs? I have to install three gallons of oil once a year instead of 5 quarts. That is not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things at the end of the year if you look at the total maintenance costs. Your gas motor has spark plugs, my diesel does not. I just don't see where you get your comments except maybe from an uneducated internet prospective and not real life.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #20

diesel......gas......

Oh boy, here we go......

Seriously though, I recommend a van based on your need to haul six people.

If they're still small kids, you can get away with a crew cab. If the trailer is fairly light, you can get away with a larger gas engine.

But if you need room to haul adults (or kids that like to "pick" at each other) and the trailer is heavier, I would recommend a 1 ton diesel van.

First trip you take and don't have people sitting on top of each other fro a couple hours, or have enough enough room to seperate teh kids a bit and still haul all the gear that six people are going to require you'll be glad you have the space, capacity and CGVWR that one ton diesel van is going to give you.

If it's you're only vehicle, well, that big of a van can be somewhat cumbersome in day to day use.

Problem is, if it's going to be your only vehicle your needs don't really line up with each other.

Something is going to suffer somewhere. you just have to choose what you're willing to sacrifice....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote