Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #1

TV tire question

My TV, 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 is in need of some new tires. When I check the size I notice that it currently has "P" tires from the factory.
I thought it would be better to replace those with "LT" tires.

Is there a benefit to replace with "LT" if the truck was not originally spec'd as such?
Since "LT" tires are heavier and stiffer I expect there will be a stiffer ride and a bit less MPG so maybe not worth the upgrade?

I've included the specs of each that I've been comparing.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires (2).png
Views:	77
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	224659  
Old 03-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #2

I can’t read the specs you uploaded, but I think the difference between a Light Truck tire as opposed to an ordinary P-metric tire would be the load range. I think most LT tires are probably load range E. Better for towing because they can safely handle more weight, but you need to make sure that your wheels can handle the load. Also most LT tires probably come with a metal reinforced valve stem that can handle the 80 psi under load. You have to make sure they will fit on your wheels.
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

When changing Original Equipment (P) tires from P to LT you should work closely with a reputable tire dealer experienced in making such changes.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
When changing Original Equipment (P) tires from P to LT you should work closely with a reputable tire dealer experienced in making such changes.
The "P-Metric" tires shipped on 1/2 ton trucks are usually an "Extra Load" (XL) and this is indicated on the sidewall. The difference between an SL tire and XL tire is the max inflation pressure. The tire is sized to easily carry the rated load of the axle/suspension on a properly loaded 1/2 ton pickup truck. Going to LT tires will usually yield no benefit and may even be a poorer performing tire in some cases.

You can't turn a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton by going to LT tires. Using my truck as an example, the rear axle is rated for 3800#. Both rear tires (OE P-Metric XL type and size), inflated to sidewall max pressure are capable of carrying just over 5500# or 30+% "safety margin".

When towing it helps to increase the pressure in the XL tires but no more than maximum rated cold inflation pressure. On my truck I have XL tires that are inflated to 42 lbs while towing. Handles like a dream with no sway or wander. Tires wear nice and evenly across the tread and my rear end (mine, not the trucks) is nice and comfortable.

If you don't need LT tires to carry the weight nothing is really gained by changing. Remember, it's still a 1/2 ton truck.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

thanks for the great information. very helpful

although wouldn't it be nice if we could turn a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton as cost effectively and simply as going to LT tires

in the meantime I guess I'll stick to P-metric and keep trying to convince my better half on the 3/4 ton. its a work in progress
Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

I changed my "P" tires on my 1/2 ton to "LT" for one reason: I had a little bit of sway going down the road particularly when a big truck passed me. An old timer told me that if I would change from "P" to "LT" he bet that my sway problem would go away. It did-period. I went with TOYO Open Country H/T 8 ply tires and have not regretted it. I run 60# all around daily and inflate the back tires to 80# when towing my 7200# TT.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
I changed my "P" tires on my 1/2 ton to "LT" for one reason: I had a little bit of sway going down the road particularly when a big truck passed me. An old timer told me that if I would change from "P" to "LT" he bet that my sway problem would go away. It did-period.
I agree wholeheartedly... you will get a much more stable ride with LT tires, it will feel like your truck tracks better especially in turns without any lean because of stiffer sidewalls. I put Michelin LTX Defender tires on m RAM 1500. I have 62,000 on them so far about 1/2 of that towing. I expect at least another 5-10K more before I think about changing them. They are at aired up to 39# and ride very smooth and quiet. After shopping around I found that COSTCO sale price is the best with their free balance and rotation every 6K miles and road hazard warranty thrown in for free.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire