Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #1

TV tire replacement time

First and apology if this should be in some other forum.

Time to replace my Goodrich KO2 tires. I am looking at going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. My KO2's are Load Range E tires. It looks like Michelin uses a Load Index number instead of the Load Range letters. I have tried to find some sort of cross reference but haven't really found a direct cross reference. The Michelin tires in my size have a 116 or 123 Load Index available. Which is closest to matching my KO2's E rating?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #2

Are the defenders an LT tire? I thought LT tires also had a load range D, E,...
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:31 PM   #3

I have used Bridgestone Duravis on my last three trucks.
They last forever.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #4

Load range correlates to pressure rating: C->50 psi, D->65 psi, E->80 psi, etc. Within each range different size tires have different load index ratings as well as a specific lbs. rating at full pressure. While load range E are likely to be LTs, most manufacturers make different sizes in each brand of tire including ones that are LR and ones that are not. Defenders come in both. If a tire shows two index numbers, the lower one is if used in a dual pair, and the higher one is when used single. Th most important thing is to get a tire with a lb. rating of more than the OEM tires. I find Michelin LTX M&S to have a lot of wander (you have to steer into the road crown and into the wind.) Everything else about them is great including grip and ride comfort, and they are very popular. I haven’t tried the Defender version because I didn’t like the wandering.
wheelin14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin14 View Post
Load range correlates to pressure rating: C->50 psi, D->65 psi, E->80 psi, etc. Within each range different size tires have different load index ratings as well as a specific lbs. rating at full pressure. While load range E are likely to be LTs, most manufacturers make different sizes in each brand of tire including ones that are LR and ones that are not. Defenders come in both. If a tire shows two index numbers, the lower one is if used in a dual pair, and the higher one is when used single. Th most important thing is to get a tire with a lb. rating of more than the OEM tires. I find Michelin LTX M&S to have a lot of wander (you have to steer into the road crown and into the wind.) Everything else about them is great including grip and ride comfort, and they are very popular. I haven’t tried the Defender version because I didn’t like the wandering.
Just an FYI. The Load range C, D, E... is a fixed load as well. That is all load range C tires will have the same exact maximum carry capacity across all manufactures. Take it one step further. All load range D tires will have the exact same capacity as load range C up to 50psi. For the same size of course.

At least the official number will be the same. You can point out that a Load range C Goodyear Endurance tires is better that a Castle Rock Load range C (and you would be correct) but officially both have the same exact capacities.

On edit: Since someone will ask, here is a generic inflation chart from a tire distributor. Notice no reference to manufacturer.

https://www.yournexttire.com/trailer...flation-chart/

Jim M.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #6

Thanks gents, that was a much clearer description of how the two ratings relate than anything I found on Al's internet.

Interestingly, I plugged in my tire size to the Discount tire site to get an idea what they were going to cost me and it showed them as Load Range E

I hadn't heard anyone mention the wandering in reviews I read about the Defenders. Going to have to think on that a bit.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:01 PM   #7

I just had a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed on my Ram 2500, I can confirm they are sensitive to road crown and alignment. On the interstate if I'm in the right lane truck goes straight, get over to the passing lane there is a pull to the left strong enough to encourage me to stay out of the left lane.

I also found I needed a front end alignment, the right front tire was slightly toe'd out, so yes they are sensitive. Never noticed the alignment with the factory tires. So far they have preformed great in the snow, only used 4 wheel drive once and due to ice and snow combination. Also have a nice ride, just that they are sensitive.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Towing and Tow Vehicles sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Love my Defender LTX M/S range D tires.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Love my Defender LTX M/S range D tires.
So your truck is a bit newer than mine but essentially the same. I see two choices for my size tires (275\65-18) one is the Load Index 116 and the other is the Load Index 123 (Load Range E according to Discount Tire). Discount Tire's page shows the LI 116 tire as a Load Range SL tire. Price is about $40 per tire less for the LI 116 tires - not insignificant.

So Dan, I didn't see a LR D tire on the list of tires in my size. Is the SL equivalent to the D tire? I was also wondering if you have had LR E tires prior to your D tires and if so, any difference in how the truck felt when towing? I was thinking the E tires would have stiffer sidewalls and make the truck more stable towing.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:32 PM   #11

Did a bit more looking and SL load range is not something I want... Looks like I'll have to pony up all the $$$ Just FYI Load Range SL crosses to Load Index 116
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR SL.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	283521  
Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Did a bit more looking and SL load range is not something I want... Looks like I'll have to pony up all the $$$ Just FYI Load Range SL crosses to Load Index 116
Take a look at the tire sizes for the Defenders. One tire is 275/65r18. The other tire is an LT275/65r18. The first tire is basically a passenger car tire which is why it has an SL (Standard load?) rating. My personal bias is that if you towing with your truck/SUV you want to upgrade to the proper LT tires. As you discovered not only does it have a higher load rating but the tire will also be stiffer and resist side-side movements better.

Jim M.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:36 AM   #13

Upon further review: Just noticed that the OP has an F-150. Half ton trucks generally don’t come with LT tires. The SL rated Defender LTX has 44 psi rating and enough lb. capacity to do the job on an F-150. My experience with the LTX M&S was on an F-150 and an Expedition, both heavily loaded at times. I was impressed by the snow grip and the comfortable ride of those tires, but not tolerant of the wander.
wheelin14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:53 PM   #14

Just thought I'd give an update - ordered the Defenders - LTX275\65-18 123R

Should be in Monday and on the truck in the afternoon.

Thanks to all for the info!
Old 02-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:

Time to replace my Goodrich KO2 tires. I am looking at going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. My KO2's are Load Range E tires. It looks like Michelin uses a Load Index number instead of the Load Range letters. I have tried to find some sort of cross reference but haven't really found a direct cross reference. The Michelin tires in my size have a 116 or 123 Load Index available. Which is closest to matching my KO2's E rating?

When asking questions on tire replacement it would be helpful if people provide a pictures of the complete tire size and the Load & Infl info molded on the tire. Also a picture of your Certification that shows tire size, L.R. and inflation.

Some Michelin's are P type not LT type. The "LTX" nomenclature is misleading to many.

Without this important information we are guessing.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #16

Haven't had the chance to use them much but they seem to be good tires. No bad comments. Load range?
My front axle GAWR is 9000# that's 4500/tire.. Tire rating at the lowest pressure on their chart was 85#.
Max load at that pressure was 5600 same for the back duels. 15000 total GAWR so that's only 3700 per tire and tire was rated at almost 5000#
The tire? Advanta AV2000S. Looked them up and only $302/ tire. Not sure about the mounting.
Have heard nothing but negative about Mechelin's and they are pricey!!
Flight Instructor Falcon 900XL
2015 Georgetown XL 360 DS
towing 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Falcon900Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post
I have used Bridgestone Duravis on my last three trucks.
They last forever.

I ran thru two sets of Brigestone tire and liked everything about them - except the tread only last about half of what was claimed.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Just thought I'd give an update - ordered the Defenders - LTX275\65-18 123R

Should be in Monday and on the truck in the afternoon.

Thanks to all for the info!
I've been looking at a set of those for my next set of replacement tires. Good reviews but not cheap at around $1,200.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:07 PM   #19

Quote:

Here's an example https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...DLTX&tab=Specs

Michelins do show an E load . best is to look at inflation psi 80 for your size this will correlate to LRE. personally I use the continental terrain track in my size and LRE i little less expensive made in the USA i little stiffer then michelins but wear is better and traction is better have run them both the i choose the continentals over the michelins
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #20

I've had 3 different sets of Michelins. First were LTX's, second were Defenders, currently I have Agilis. All were almost exactly the same except for the name on the sidewall. All had the same specs, all had the same tread pattern. Could be you just need to look at the Agilis name as opposed to Defenders.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire