Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

un-equal tension

I have a WDH from Harbor Freight. When set up, it looks like a normal setup and works the way it's supposed to. But I find it odd that when I use an equal number of chain links on the lifters(4th link), the left side takes much more effort to lift into place. If I use 4 on the right and 3 on the left, the tension is more equal. My question is: Would it be safe to run 3 and 4 for equal tension, or 4 and 4 and have more tension on one side?
Timbren Rear Suspension
PinTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Triglide

Ours always takes more power to set the first chain than the second chain because the first on takes some of the stress out of the equalizer hitch..
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Mine's the same way, one side always seems harder to pull up than the other. I never really paid attention to which side, but I suspect TriGlide is right. Do not run with unequal chain lengths!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
Brake is on left

Does it matter which one you hook up first? No matter which one you do first, is it always the right that is easier?
To be honest, I wouldn't put much faith in the spring rate of the bars being equal. HF is not known for quality. Have you tried swapping bars left for right?
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #5

Just a few thoughts..

Is the trailer frame level at the chain attachment points and matches the TV hitch head for level? Did you back into your hitching position at an angle and have a slight lean on your TV?? Minor tilt gets magnified over a long bar length..

Even just a slight difference in distance from one chain hanger to the hitch can do that too. I know that having perfectly matching chain hanger positions certified by my eyeball may not have been the best way.

I find that once one bar is hung, the other side is always different no matter which side is first or which bar where. I am guessing that the added weight of one loosely attached bar may have a slight effect on the angle between TV and trailer.

Or not..No proof, just tossing out possibilities....
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #6

I know if the truck is not exactly in line with the trailer, the bars have very different pressure on them.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #7

I’ve had the same issue with 2 different hitches now. The first was the basic round bar Husky hitch and now we have the Centerline TS. Both types of hitches have been difficult on the passenger side to hook up.

There appears to be no frame twisting on the TT or twisting in the hitch head itself on the Centerline. But when I raise the trunnions up to the brackets the passenger side is about an inch lower even when both the truck and trailer are on level ground. It’s still a mystery to me.