Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #21

Reese provides a pretty good hitch adjustment procedure in their manuals. See http://assets.rigidhitch.com/hitch_i...ions/31995.pdf for an example. They say that when you hook up the trailer the front and the back should settle equally within about 1/2 inch.

Jerry
JerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Is your tow ball height to coupler height as recommended by the WDH manufacturer? I'm not familiar with yours but on my Equalizer they recommend having them the same height.
It is pretty close, but again only with a partially loaded vehicle.. That is the one part in the instructions I would have to find again.. I dont recall if they said to have it fully loaded or not.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
It is pretty close, but again only with a partially loaded vehicle.. That is the one part in the instructions I would have to find again.. I dont recall if they said to have it fully loaded or not.
2 3/4 inches per your earlier post:

" I know my trailer sitting level is 22" to the top of the coupler. I believe with my truck unhitched I set the top of the ball at 24-3/4". "

That could be a significant difference. Consult your installation instructions. Just making suggestions...
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
2 3/4 inches per your earlier post:

" I know my trailer sitting level is 22" to the top of the coupler. I believe with my truck unhitched I set the top of the ball at 24-3/4". "

That could be a significant difference. Consult your installation instructions. Just making suggestions...
I did a quick google search. The instructions say add 1/8" for every 100lbs of tongue weight. Since FR says 585lbs. I guessed 700lbs as a buffer. With my trailer coupler at 22" the ball height should be 22-7/8". I rounded up to 23" as another added buffer. Thinking back the truck was unloaded at the time and I had my wife sit on the tailgate and to add something. I believe with her sitting on the tail gate it only lowered the back of the truck about 3/8" so I added more distance. I may only be at 23-3/4" instead of 24-3/4". It makes more sense being an inch lower, as I know for a fact the trailer coupler height. I took a wild guess trying to compensate a loaded truck.

The instructions say nothing about the trailer or the truck being fully loaded for setting it up but it does say later in the instructions for proper hook up with a load or heavy load, but again not the setup portion. Here are the instructions.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b6ff...d41cf8b914.pdf

So which is it now? Fully loaded truck and trailer or unloaded?? Either way, I think I need to start over, I just need to know which way to do it.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
Sham183

I would think to get your initial set up it could be either way. Do it the way the instructions tell you plain and simple. If you are still wondering what to do call the manufacturer, they will most likely answer any and all questions you have. That's the road I would take just to get the guess work out of it. 15 minute phone call will save you from turning hair color or losing hair ( if you have any left by now).
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
I was towing at 70mph and it was very stable.
Most tires on campers from the factory are ST (Special Trailer) tires. They are rated at 65MPH. Any faster and you risk a blowout from the tires overheating.

Do a search on here for "China Bombs" and you will get a few horror stories about them.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #27

Know what I would do ? Buy a better truck, like a Ford or Chevy...
Just kidding !!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
I would think to get your initial set up it could be either way. Do it the way the instructions tell you plain and simple. If you are still wondering what to do call the manufacturer, they will most likely answer any and all questions you have. That's the road I would take just to get the guess work out of it. 15 minute phone call will save you from turning hair color or losing hair ( if you have any left by now).
I called the manufacture today and first off I have to say they are great to work with. They really took the time to try to figure out my set up and didnt rush thru it to get to the next call.

After explaining the way I setup the WDH and where it is currently sitting they took some more time to go over the figures on paper. They determined I was to high with the ball mount and need to drop it 1 hole, reset the angle and try it again. They said ideally they like to see 3 links hanging with 2 being the minimum. Well I only have 1 link hanging. If I have any problems after that call them back and they will take even more time to decipher my issues, but they are almost 100% positive I was to high with the ball.

Im going to take the time Saturday to go and reset the hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Most tires on campers from the factory are ST (Special Trailer) tires. They are rated at 65MPH. Any faster and you risk a blowout from the tires overheating.

Do a search on here for "China Bombs" and you will get a few horror stories about them.
No need to worry about that.. I already swapped out those crappy tires to the Goodyear Endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Know what I would do ? Buy a better truck, like a Ford or Chevy...
Just kidding !!!
Yep looking at a Dodge 2500 now... LOL
Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
Sham183

[emoji106]
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote