Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

UPDATE: Switch to LT Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
...{snip}...This has been a great thread. Theo, update your tire performance after driving on winter snow and ice if you would. I'll be in the market for new tires next summer at some point. Winter performance is always a concern in my area. Thanks for creating this discussion!
In an earlier thread ("Switch to LT Tires?"), I posted for recommendations about whether we should switch from our (5-year old) Ford F-150's OEM Goodyear passenger tires to LT tires. It appears that the original thread is too old to reply to so I have created this new thread. Here is our update:

Now that we've been through 6 months of driving, a 14"+ snowstorm and plenty of ice, I thought I update this thread with a few observations about our new LT275/65-18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on our F-150. We've put about 2,000 miles on them during the last 6 months.

Towing/Inflation
Through experimentation, we have settled on 44-psi as our normal inflation level when not towing. When towing our twin-axle TT, the best control/ride compromise was achieved at about 55-psi. We tried 65-psi with our rig fully loaded (axle weights:F=3160, R=3660, TT=6,000lbs, Total=12,820 w/WDH) for dry camping this summer and found the ride well-controlled but a bit stiff. After a couple of subsequent trips loaded much more reasonably (and with some feedback from another member with the same truck and tires) we settled on 55-psi as the sweet spot. Note that the Michelin inflation chart shows the 55-psi level to be more than capable of supporting 5320lbs on each tire. This spring we'll probably experiment a bit more for lighter loads.

Traction
For our conditions here in New England, the tires' traction have been excellent in dry, wet and deep snow. My initial concerns about wet and deep snow traction have been obliterated.

One must remember the lack of weight on the truck's rear axle (ours a 3.73 no less) and with that guiding your driving style, in 2WD there was no drama in the wet.

We ventured out to get gas during our 14"+ snowstorm and, of course, had to shift into FWD. However, the tires bit well into the snow and there was very little slipping at all, even on the off-camber corners leading to town. Note that a feather-touch on the go-pedal works wonders in these conditions.

In the subsequent days after the storm and periodically since then, we've had to negotiate some icy patches on our county roads and especially those leading into the neighboring hill towns. I did not feel as comfortable in the truck while driving on ice. However, being a pickup truck with V8 and the 3.73 rear end, it was never destined to be an ice racer! I'm not sure any non-studded tire would have made me feel comfortable on ice.

Ride
Personally, we've found our combination of Bilstein shocks and the Michelins to be very reassuring overall. When not towing, the ride is very controlled at any speed; the truck feels firmly planted on the road. However, some of our roads are not in the best condition with frost heaves, multiple road patches and broken pavement surfaces. Over these conditions, we've found the tires do transmit the worst of these imperfections through the suspension. It's not bad or distracting, but a bit more noticeable than the old Goodyears. If you live in more favorable climes that support the integrity of the road structure, this may not be an issue.

Also, please remember that we switched from the less-compliant OEM Ford shocks to the (more controlled) Bilstein 4600s just prior to switching to the Michelins.

Final Thoughts
Thank you to all the folks who contributed to our original question! I would definitely recommend switching to the LT275/65-18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on your TV in a heartbeat. The difference in the feeling of security (and safety) while towing is worth the entry price many times over. It may take a couple of tows to dial-in the tire pressure for a good control/ride compromise but, when done, you will wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

IMHO, while we sometimes notice a harsher ride over significant road imperfections, the occasional difference is not worth sacrificing the security and safety when towing. If you have Ford's OEM shocks, you may feel a bit more of a difference.

We bought or Michelins at COSTCO since they priced them competitively and offer so many free services for the tires' lifetime.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

Thank you always good to hear of first hand experiences.

The weights you tow and load your truck are very similar to mine.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

That's really good to hear, thanks for the writeup!

We also switched to LT load range E tires last summer. Although due to Covid and some other things, we didn't get to go camping last season for the first time in over 25 years. I won't get to see any towing difference until spring.

Also through trial and error, I came to a similar conclusion as you for pressure. I currently have mine at 45 lbs. I was also planning on around 55 lbs for towing, so glad to hear your experience.

Although your Michelin Defenders are a better and more expensive tire than what I got, I don't notice a big decline in ride at all. I also have the Bilstein shocks. I got the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015 E rated Tires.

Name:   19035.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  26.6 KB
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thank you for review, I will be needing new tires soon, they are aging out.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thank you for review, I will be needing new tires soon, they are aging out.
I just replaced my front tires that had 63,000 miles on them. They still had a good bit of tread in the center but the edges were well rounded due to the weight of that diesel engine. The rears still have a good bit of life left.

OEM BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A and replaced with the same thing.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We have the same Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on our 2014 CR-V AWD. Not LT but the passenger car tire version. This car is also our toad and they have been great. As you stated they are excellent in the snow. Excellent ride and tread life rated for 80,000 miles.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
In an earlier thread ("Switch to LT Tires?"), I posted for recommendations about whether we should switch from our (5-year old) Ford F-150's OEM Goodyear passenger tires to LT tires. It appears that the original thread is too old to reply to so I have created this new thread. Here is our update:

Now that we've been through 6 months of driving, a 14"+ snowstorm and plenty of ice, I thought I update this thread with a few observations about our new LT275/65-18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on our F-150. We've put about 2,000 miles on them during the last 6 months.

Towing/Inflation
Through experimentation, we have settled on 44-psi as our normal inflation level when not towing. When towing our twin-axle TT, the best control/ride compromise was achieved at about 55-psi. We tried 65-psi with our rig fully loaded (axle weights:F=3160, R=3660, TT=6,000lbs, Total=12,820 w/WDH) for dry camping this summer and found the ride well-controlled but a bit stiff. After a couple of subsequent trips loaded much more reasonably (and with some feedback from another member with the same truck and tires) we settled on 55-psi as the sweet spot. Note that the Michelin inflation chart shows the 55-psi level to be more than capable of supporting 5320lbs on each tire. This spring we'll probably experiment a bit more for lighter loads.

Traction
For our conditions here in New England, the tires' traction have been excellent in dry, wet and deep snow. My initial concerns about wet and deep snow traction have been obliterated.

One must remember the lack of weight on the truck's rear axle (ours a 3.73 no less) and with that guiding your driving style, in 2WD there was no drama in the wet.

We ventured out to get gas during our 14"+ snowstorm and, of course, had to shift into FWD. However, the tires bit well into the snow and there was very little slipping at all, even on the off-camber corners leading to town. Note that a feather-touch on the go-pedal works wonders in these conditions.

In the subsequent days after the storm and periodically since then, we've had to negotiate some icy patches on our county roads and especially those leading into the neighboring hill towns. I did not feel as comfortable in the truck while driving on ice. However, being a pickup truck with V8 and the 3.73 rear end, it was never destined to be an ice racer! I'm not sure any non-studded tire would have made me feel comfortable on ice.

Ride
Personally, we've found our combination of Bilstein shocks and the Michelins to be very reassuring overall. When not towing, the ride is very controlled at any speed; the truck feels firmly planted on the road. However, some of our roads are not in the best condition with frost heaves, multiple road patches and broken pavement surfaces. Over these conditions, we've found the tires do transmit the worst of these imperfections through the suspension. It's not bad or distracting, but a bit more noticeable than the old Goodyears. If you live in more favorable climes that support the integrity of the road structure, this may not be an issue.

Also, please remember that we switched from the less-compliant OEM Ford shocks to the (more controlled) Bilstein 4600s just prior to switching to the Michelins.

Final Thoughts
Thank you to all the folks who contributed to our original question! I would definitely recommend switching to the LT275/65-18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on your TV in a heartbeat. The difference in the feeling of security (and safety) while towing is worth the entry price many times over. It may take a couple of tows to dial-in the tire pressure for a good control/ride compromise but, when done, you will wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

IMHO, while we sometimes notice a harsher ride over significant road imperfections, the occasional difference is not worth sacrificing the security and safety when towing. If you have Ford's OEM shocks, you may feel a bit more of a difference.

We bought or Michelins at COSTCO since they priced them competitively and offer so many free services for the tires' lifetime.
Better recheck that weight rating.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiejack75 View Post
Better recheck that weight rating.
Oh, good point! Most load range E are around 3195 lbs at full 80 psi pressure. I think mine are 2,595 lbs each at 55lbs

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Maybe that should read 5320 on each axle not each tire ?

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Maybe that should read 5320 on each axle not each tire ?
INDEED! My bad! The inflation table shows a 5320lb AXLE load rating at 55-psi.

Thanks for the correction, folks!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #11

I've been running, (and advocating) for LT's for a long time. I run Michelin XPS commercial LT's on my Fifth Wheel. The load rating varies depending on the size of the tire. Nice thing is they have a stiffer steel sidewall. I don't pull in the snow so don't worry as much on the trailer. I also run Michelin LTX's on my pickup. 3rd set going on soon. Best there is for heavier hauling in my opinion. When you get into the larger RV's that call for G rated etc. I think that the Lt's don't have the load rating so you have to go with the trailer duty tires such as the Sailuns. Up to load range E's though, I don't think you can beat them.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, tire, tires