Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 02:50 PM   #21
rfifer

I have a Tonneau roll-up and really like it. When rolled out, it locks down inside the tailgate. The velcro edges work well to keep things dry in the bed. I park my truck outside in the driveway, and although we have had some theft in the neighborhood, it has provided a reasonable deterrent against getting into the bed area.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #22

My wife has the Retrax and she likes it. It can be locked at any position if you have something that sticks up.
I have a high shell on mine so I can haul taller items. It also saves $180 a year in licensing fees. Had it for 16 years so it saved more than enough to pay for itself.
Location issue.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC12 View Post
I have the Extang Encore on my Ram 1500. I’m very happy with this high quality rigid tri-fold cover. It’s lockable, secure with my lockable tailgate, and was an easy DIY install. Love the looks and is probably strong enough to secure some lightweight cargo on top of it if I found the need to do so. The front section came with the Bolt lock cylinder that can be keyed to your truck key by the user.
__
I have an Extang vinyl tri-fold cover that is over 5 yrs old and still great. The vinyl on my last extang ( different truck) ripped on one corner. I asked about purchasing just the vinyl. They told me they had a lifetime warranty and shipped me an new one in 4 days.
Great Company. It is very to completely remove when needed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Tonneau covers are like closed/locked storage doors... they keep stuff out of sight but don't keep thieves out.

With that said, I have a bolted in, locking tool box/job box in the bed to keep the important things in and then cover the bed with a Truxedo Deuce tonneau cover. The front flips back for easy entry to the tool box but it also rolls up against the back window when an open bed is needed or to haul or tow the 5th wheel or other gooseneck trailers.

I like that it doesn't fold against the back window, blocking the view but yet folds backwards to easily get in the toolbox. When rolled up, there is still plenty of room to open the box lid.

I've owned many, many trucks with all kinds of variations of bed covers/caps and this combination has been for me, the most versatile.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #25

I had two Pace Edwards roll up covers and liked them. Unlike what one site team member exclaimed, they have aluminum strips that slide in tracks on either side of the bed covered with heavy water proof fabric and are very secure. The only thing I did not like was the loss of space in the bed for the cover to roll into. I now have a BAKflip on the Tundra and am satisfied with it as long as the track it rests in is properly set. It can leak/drain into the bed if not shimmed level. The adjustments are easy to make when installing.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #26

BAK the way to go

Although the Pace Edwards powered covers are a little more than the fold ones, I Have a BAK tri fold one now on me truck. I am going to switch to the powered one $1600 as My friend has one on his truck and it is so much better than mine. It is worth the extra cost in the initial expenditure as the convenience and safety are so much better. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more now for a powered sliding cover. Talk to those who have powered ones and you will see why that is the way to go.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I have an 8 year old TonoPro tri-fold and like it, however, it did fly off once and now I add rubber straps inside for extra holding strength. I would still buy another one. I do have one concern and ask for comments. I tow a fifth wheel with a 2013 Ford F250 short bed and while backing up when connecting, I can't see the king pin engage the hitch because the tonneau cover is in the way. Does every one have this problem, or is it just me?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
I can't see the king pin engage the hitch because the tonneau cover is in the way. Does every one have this problem, or is it just me?
FIX this by adding a battery operated WiFi spy cam that hooks to the WIFI of your smartphone... similar to this one pictured ( top pic from amazon). Hook the camera in the truck bed with some velcro and place it in an advantageous position to view the hitch.

OR... I once wired a pickup with a hard-wired system with a dedicated screen for a friend.. I used this Harbor Freight setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minicam.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	249724   Click image for larger version

Name:	minicam02.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	249725  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I have an 8 year old TonoPro tri-fold and like it, however, it did fly off once and now I add rubber straps inside for extra holding strength. I would still buy another one. I do have one concern and ask for comments. I tow a fifth wheel with a 2013 Ford F250 short bed and while backing up when connecting, I can't see the king pin engage the hitch because the tonneau cover is in the way. Does every one have this problem, or is it just me?
I don't.
With mine rolled up I can see the pin easily out through the back window and I always have the CHMSL camera (center high mount stop lamp) to rely on as well. That's one of the advantages of roll up vs fold up.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #30

Just like a few mentioned above, we have the BakFlip on our pickup.
It is just over 8 years old.

We also have the BakBox on the front for carrying traveling items like bottle jack, oil, spare bulbs, lug wrench, torque wrench, etc.
One advantage of this cover is it is strong enough to support your weight walking on it.
We have used that feature to our advantage a few times.
It can be removed if necessary with two screw knobs on the front underside.
Very secure and waterproof in most situations.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
I am on my second Fold a Cover. I love it. When I had my 5th wheel I folded it up to the cab & could put firewood there & it would stay dry. Unhitch & close it back up. It has the ability to lock the front panel behind the cab & the panel near the tailgate locks as well. When open, it stacks on the panel beside the cab. You can buy factory direct. That’s what I did & installed it myself.
This what I have on my Silverado 1500. It's a quad fold and supposedly supports up to 300 lbs. Very solid.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
I love my BAKflip.
X2
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
X2
X3
Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergy View Post
X3

Yep!
Old 03-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #35

I just put the RetraxOne XR on my truck and love it. This is the 3rd truck I’ve put the retrax on. Decided to go with the XR so I can carry our bikes in the back of the truck over the cover. Bought it on Amazon and was able to install myself in about an hour.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #36

Question Installing a cover on a bed that is fully lined

I keep looking at covers and their installation and the ones I see are all installed on unlined beds where the cross & side rails are fully visible. My Canyon's bed is fully lined, top and sides. I hate the thought of cutting into the liners. Any suggestions??
retdocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #37

Just remember, if you get a aluminum tri-fold....stay away from HAIL or it looks like the surface of a golf ball when the storm is over. Son had his a week and a storm hit. Had to get a new one from insurance..
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #38

I had a Fold a Cover on my 2009 F150. It was m/l watertight but not 100%. Back surgery at 72, and at 73 it was getting a bit difficult to open the two rear panels so when I changed trucks a few months ago I went with a Bak Revolver X4.
Bak Revolver:
*Easier to open than the Fold a Cover
*One winter almost down and so far no water has gotten in.
*Easier to lock everything up than the Fold a Cover. (FaC has two external locks and my tailgate lock was manual on the F150 so I had to lock three places to secure things...often forgot. The Revolver can only be unlocked when the tailgate is open, and since the new truck tailgate locks automatically when I lock the truck that's one less thing to worry about.)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #39

You live in FL so you do not have to worry about sliders freezing up after a rain storm in winter.......I have had tri folds and after time they do leak at the folding points---esp on the outside edges!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #40

I just installed a Roll 'n Lock M series retractable on my truck last December. Heavy vinyl covered aluminum slats that locks to both bed sides and the tailgate. It will stop in the open, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and closed positions. It is very secure. Only a slight inconvenience, but you need to open the cover a bit before you can open and lower the tailgate. That can be avoided but doing so removes the two tailgate latches. I am very happy with it.
https://rollnlock.com/m-series

Like all things, there are pro's and con's to every cover. The big selling point for me was that with a retractable you can travel with it partially open. With all of the others - trifolds and rollups of different types - it is (highly) recommended that you travel with them only fully open or fully closed.

I almost went with the RetraxPro MX because it could be stopped and locked in any position from all open to all closed. But it was 50% more money (for the aluminum model) than the RNL. (Retrax has a cheaper one but it is polycarbonite instead of aluminum and I have seen polycarbonite break down.) Also, the Retrax doesn't have the vinyl cover. I have to deal with A LOT of pine needles and I could see those working their way between the cracks of the slats in the Retrax.

There is a youtube video that shows how one guy modified his RNL so that it latched open just behind his 5th wheel hitch, in addition to the factory stops. Bit of work but not complicated at all and it saves over $600 compared to what the Retrax cost to get the convenience of stopping the cover anywhere.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cover, truck